New Unit: Chocobo Knight WAARK! (26 Jan 06)

DJ Bonebraker

a.k.a Laura
Well, I've finally finished the first of at least 4 chocobo units for the FF mod... although this is the second in the upgrade tree (which goes Chocobo Rider, Chocobo Knight, Chocobo Cavalry (mounted on green chocobos) and ending with the Chocobo Dragoons in the modern era (who are mounted on BLACK chocobos)). Thanks to SpacerOne for the Chocobo sounds that I used in the attackA and victory slots. This unit has been successfully tested in game and works (screenshot attached at the end as proof).

Here are the Files (1.16 MB)

Preview:

In-game Preview:

Edit: Due to the fact that I've greatly improved my unit making skills over the past 6 years :)lol:), I've decided to give this unit another go and here's what I came up with:

Download here

Attachments

• ChocoboIngame.jpg
    ChocoboIngame.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 957
Thanks... Next up is the Gelnika Transport Airship. It will be the second of the only two actual air units in the game, and will be used solely for transporting units (both foot and vehicular... I mean c'mon these things have enough space in their cargo bay to hold a full squadron of attack helicopters, judging from the realtive size of the helo in the downed gelnika), and it will be available to all factions. (the third SHinra UU will be the Shinra Attack SUb).

LMR: Yes, Chocobos are large chicken/ostrich like birds that are used as we use horses and camels in this reality. The difference is that chocobos are better mounts than horses because (a) they are much more intelligent (think about how smart parrots and such are), and (b) even though they mostly subsist on greens an nuts (with the occasional bug here and there), unlike horses they are not afraid of everything, and will aggressively attack anything percieved as a threat (much like camels, really, but with a better personality) with thier heavy seed splitting beaks and powerful kicks (ala and ostrich), rather than throwing their rider and running away at the sight of a white cloth (like I've heard of horses doing on way too many occasions).

I believe the name (chocobo) has it's origins from the Japanese word for a bird (Cho), but I'm not 100% sure.

Hey, that looks great. Nice job on the animating. I was wondering when we'd get to see that custom-made chocobo model in action. :) Of course, I have no FF experience to know exactly what that is, but I thought that the model looked cool.

utahjazz7 said:
Hey, that looks great. Nice job on the animating. I was wondering when we'd get to see that custom-made chocobo model in action. :) Of course, I have no FF experience to know exactly what that is, but I thought that the model looked cool.

Yeah, I owe this mod to Kinboat and Aaglo... If it weren't for some of thier more off-the wall fantasy units, it would never have got started in the first place, and without their numerous fantasy units, it wouldn't be nearly as complete as it is now...

And without the Chocobo and Paperdoll figures, this unit would not have been possible. As a matter of fact, all the figures and props used in making this unit were made by Kinboat, and all I did was put them together and animate them...

Therefore, you could say that this is indeed a (mostly) Kinboat unit.;) I remember SpacerOne in the Narnia thread asking if there would ever be a mod for Civ III that didn't owe something to Kinboat, and I'd say that is very unlikely... Between him, you, Muffins and Aaglo can be found about 90% of the best units for Civ III.

WARK!!!!!!

I just played with it ingame...ITS HUGE!!!! I replaced the scout with it for a play run, and it is Ginormous...tho the guy is in scale, and he looks right on the chocobo...I just never realized they were this big...

Well, when I first started making the unit, I checked it against the default Firaxis Cavalry as well as some of Kinboat's and Bebro's Knights, and it's about the same size (as a matter of fact, it's the exact same height as the default Civ III Cavalry), so I don't see where the problem is.

That is a really hot looking unit, Hikaro. Not like I'll need to use an ostrich rider in any of my mods (Swiss Family Robinson, maybe... ;)), but still, it looks awesome!

Hikaro Takayama said:
Well, when I first started making the unit, I checked it against the default Firaxis Cavalry as well as some of Kinboat's and Bebro's Knights, and it's about the same size (as a matter of fact, it's the exact same height as the default Civ III Cavalry), so I don't see where the problem is.

You misunderstand Hikaro...Its great...and yess it is eye level with infantry...I was pointing out that I had never fully realized how BIG chocobos were...this is the first non-final fantasy comparison Ive made...

I was in no way objecting...GREAT units...

Yeah, same issue, but the in-game preview looks uber, can't wait to get this thing.

CHOCOBOS ROXZORZ!:thumbsup:

Spacer One said:
You misunderstand Hikaro...Its great...and yess it is eye level with infantry...I was pointing out that I had never fully realized how BIG chocobos were...this is the first non-final fantasy comparison Ive made...

I was in no way objecting...GREAT units...

No problem.... I kinda blame Square's using chibi-style (that is anime where the charachters have really tiny bodies and really big heads) to represent charachters in game (well up until FF VIII anyways). If you looked at the chocobos in VIII, X, or XI, you'd see that they're about the size of a standard warhorse (as they would have to be in order to support an armored rider).

Yeah, too bad about the fileserver being down, but server hiccups happen...

I just hope Thunderfall can get it up fairly soon (also explains why I couldn't see the animated preview when I checked back in today).

Top Bottom