Announce your new/updated Civ3 files for front-page coverage!

I've reuploaded the old Civ3 Multi-tool installer, version 1.12.5

Let's make it official then:
Title: C3MT (civ3 Multi-tool)
Type: utility program, multi-function.
File version: 1.12.5
File entry URL: http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=16630
Author: Gramphos
What's new in this version?: Nothing (Reuploading file)

Moderator Action: I'm starting work on the announcement now. But this is not the cut-off. Anything posted at least through the 28th will be included.

Please double check your posts one last time for things like the "..." in the middle of the url.

EDIT: Also, please post or pm me if you've changed anything in your posts.

Fixed mine above, just in case.

Attachments

• 320preview.png
    320preview.png
    100 KB · Views: 242
Moderator Action: Heartfelt thanks to everyone who replied promptly to the requests for updated posts. There's still a chance to make further changes, but please either post or pm if you do. Time has been set aside to work on the announcement tomorrow evening. The goal is to post it on the 1st with everything posted here by as close to that deadline as possible. Cross your fingers but don't hold your breath.

Moderator Action: I've got usable pictures from everyone who has posted, afaik. Work has begun but I won't lock down what can be included until midnight tonight PST. There are still a few more hours to correct links or add new items. Be sure to pm me if you make any changes or I won't catch them in time. Thanks everybody.

Okay, here are my new preview images. Am I too late?

Spoiler :

Moderator Action: The announcement is now posted & on the front page.

I made an effort to include the widest selection of preview images possible - including using some that did not fit the guidelines but were the author's only submission. Hopefully that will in a small way begin to repay everyone's patience.

Unfortunately several links are still broken because they were not corrected despite several reminders. Thank you to everyone who responded to the posted and PMed requests for corrections. It really made a difference to how quickly the work went.

:coffee:

All the links I've posted are correct. What I didn't understand was that (1) a particular use of the brackets did exclude a few letters...y to see a lot of my unselected stuff got in!

All the links I've posted are correct. What I didn't understand was that (1) a particular use of the brackets did exclude a few letter...vfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=402710"]posted.[/mod3]

• Link broken? Check that you followed the guidelines in the OP. Let me know if it's my mistake rather than yours. If it's mine I'll correct it. If it's yours double check your post more carefully next time around.
  • No picture in the preview? Check that you followed the guidelines in the OP. Let me know if it's my mistake rather than yours. If it's mine I'll correct it. If it's yours double check your post more carefully next time around.
[/SPOILER]

• They may be slightly out of order but all these posts were made from December 13 on to the present. Go back further and you will find more posts like these. "Didn't see it 'til the last minute" is not an adequate excuse.
  • At least three of those posts mention that there are specific guidelines. Two posts make an explicit statement that the guidelines are found in the opening post of this thread. "link broken?" is in bright red. The explanation of why is bolded, italicized, and blue. That was posted on December 13th. "I didn't know what the guidelines were" is not an excuse.
  • What the error in your posts looks like is explicitly stated in bright blue & in very large font size. "My posts looked fine to me" is not an excuse.
  • The OP, as stated clearly, has an explanation of what the error looks like and gives multiple ways to correct it. "I didn't know what to do" is not an excuse.
  • I sent a PM with "Links in announcement" to those whose broken links I saw as of that time. The body of the announcement includes "Check the OP of the announcements thread if you need to know what is wrong with the way they appear. " This makes it clear that the problem is with how the links appear. This PM reinforces two explicit statements in the posts quoted above that how the link looks is what is important. "I didn't read the PM that was only a reminder of something we have been told at least seven times" is not an excuse.
  • Anything explicitly stated in the guidelines, as well as seven reminders since the last announcement posted with mod tags that add color is clearly important. "I didn't realize it was important until after the announcement was posted" is not an excuse.
  • "Let me know if it's my mistake rather than yours. If it's mine I'll correct it. If it's yours double check your post more carefully next time around." is bolded and repeated twice. There to be seen for the last two and a half months. It's a pretty explicit statement that I will correct my mistakes, but not yours. Sending the PM is an exceptional act on my part. It was only done as an added grace because it had been so long since the last announcement.

Here are two excerpts from a long discussion/argument that took place in this thread in 2009. This was just after a month that had 43 items in the announcement. This time there were 69. So the situations are comparable. Please take the time to read the statement by Plotinus - and hopefully click over to read the entire discussion - before taking me to task.
Spoiler :
It takes several hours to put the announcement together, every time. Think about the time to write up the text in the specified format, making sure each link functions.
My solution was to post guidelines. Ask people month after month to meet them. Then finally move to the stage of actually working within those limits.
Well, since I have done the same work, I'll add a few comments.

People really don't appreciate how incredibly long it takes to make these announcements. When I did them I would often put it off for far too long, because doing it required having a free day to devote to a tiresome task. Of course, the longer I put it off, the more intimidating the task, because there were yet more files to announce. And the more I would put it off. I'm sure we've all experienced something like that.

It takes so long for two main reasons. The first is that simply assembling the text takes a long time and is tedious. You have to follow all of these links, copy and paste the URLs, get the file name and author name right, and categorise them. This is sometimes rendered harder not only by the contracted URLs that Blue Monkey talked about but by the fact that some authors give links to "library" threads containing many files (sometimes direct to the relevant post in that thread, sometimes just to the thread itself, forcing me to hunt through it) and some give links to threads devoted to a single file; some use showthread URLs and others use showpost URLs; some give links to forum threads, some to database pages, and some to the direct download from the database pages. I tried, and usually failed, to standardise these when compiling them into the announcement. Also, being an obsessive proof-reader, I worked hard to ensure that all files, authors, and comments were displayed in a consistent style, and that they were listed in a consistent order. Within category, I listed everything in the order in which it appeared in this thread - apart from different files by the same author, which were listed together, but within author they were again listed in chronological order. That takes time to do, and it also involves making more decisions: do unit packs, for example, get listed as single entries, or do all the units get their own entries? What about a "pack" of just two units? What about old, lost files that have been rescued and re-uploaded? This is why I fairly quickly abandoned the practice, which I initially followed, of adding comments of my own to each file. That just doubled the time.

The second reason it takes a long time is that the images take ages as well. First, like URLs, authors often don't provide these in an easily accessible way, let alone one that is consistent between everyone.
If Blue Monkey has particular guidelines that he wants creators to follow to streamline the process, then that's not only reasonable, it's entirely to everyone's benefit.
So please don't view this as an antagonistic issue or a conflict, but as a cooperative matter where different people have different roles and are there to help one another out.

This time I went beyond what I normally do - trying to give everyone the best chance at having a good post. I even went so far as to work with images that normally would be rejected because they don't meet the guidelines. That alone adds an unreasonable amount of time to the hours spent preparing an announcement in a normal month.

So the answer is no, I will not correct other people's errors once the announcement is posted. This has been hashed out before and is not subject to further dispute.

Top Bottom