New Unit Killer Hornet and Hornet Nest Wonder - March 8, 2009

Dare I say it's... even cute! :thumbsup:

Whoa!!! This unit is absolutely spectacular!!! Perhaps my concept of using insects as weapons of war can be implemented in the W2K7 ID@ES mod afterall. I cannot tell you enough how much appreciation a unit of this type earns from me. Keep up the good work Vuldacon!!! I am definitely looking forward to the nest 'swarm'. ;)

Thanks for all the Great Comments everyone :)

Supa... did you find any good way to render a fast transparent Wing Buzz in Poser without affecting the entire model?
The Procedures I worked out to accomplish anything close were a great deal of work.

CivAnon... Glad you like the Unit and I agree that insects can and were used in War. This one is a SCI-FI Monster by its size and if wanted for a traditional game it would probably need to be sized smaller. This Hornet is a little over 1/3rd the size of a man.
...Much detail is lost at Civ Scale and when making very tiny units such as a "Normal" Sized Hornet, there would not be much detail at all.

W.i.n.t.e.r. ... One way to add this "Monster" to a "Normal" game would be to work out some sort of "Science Gone Wrong" type thing...you know, Radioactive leak or Atomic Bomb After Affects.

Here is an Image of "The Drunk" with the "Killer Hornet" to Show Size:

Attachments

• HornetSize.png
    HornetSize.png
    2.3 KB · Views: 90
@ Vuldacon: Yes, I indeed noticed. Of course this giant will be the result of a genetic manipulation event that 'went wrong' or perhaps this monster may very well have been intentionally 'engineered' this way. Ohh... the possibilities... This is a great start... beautiful, absolutely beautiful...

Amazing! Wow, this is professional from every angle. Well... some professionals are this good..

CivAnon... Good, I think you will like that the Killer Hornet actually "Hits" the Enemy Unit when attacking. This was a Pain to adjust and every direction had to be made separately in order to have the unit hit the correct area. Of course there are many differently sized Units and they each can also be in slightly different possitions when attacking so I made a "Happy Medium" for the actual Hit Positions for the Killer Hornet.
It Game Tested very well and the Hit Positions all work as I intended.

IF you decide to add this Unit...Better also add a Science Tech to develope "Extreme Bug Spray" :lol:

againsttheflow... WOW...thanks for the Super Comment... I must say that all of the Grand response has helped to ease the Pain of making this Unit.
...Note To Self... Check Ego and "Keep a Lid on it" :)

:lol: You know what they say, flattery is like gum, enjoy but don't swallow. In your case though I think you deserve a fifty pack. :)

Just to show simple details that are lost at Civ Scale...here is the Killer Hornet Default made larger.

Note that This Preview has the Dark Wing Textures loaded rather than the Shadow Shaded Wing Textures I used for all animations other than when the Killer Hornet is Not Flying or Buzzing his Wings. This is Four Sets of Wings. I did not use Motion Blur or Light Textures for the Wings in this Preview just to show what was done.

I had to change Textures when Rendering the Frames where the Unit was Flying and when Not Flying or Buzzing the Wings. Also had to Render all animations with and Without shadows then combine them with Post Render Work. Same For Motion Blur. The Motion Blur Wings were added to the Default and Run animations after Rendering everything.

The Main Camera had to be animated in order to show the Unit at about the same size in all directions because I used a 45mm Camera. This Showed the Unit Too small and Too Large in various directions. The closer the unit was to the Camera, the larger it became and the farthur away from the Camera, the smaller it became. It is Best to use a 100mm Camera for focal distances that are not as extreme for units.

The General Unit Animations were Rendered using the Alpha.pal Background Color 192, 192, 192 and the Shadow Renders were Rendered with the Magenta Background 255, 0, 255. The Palette was made from the Alpha.pal Colored Storyboards then that palette was changed to the Normal .pal Palette simply by adding the Correct Smoke and Shadow Shades. This is Reversed from the "Normal" way of making Palettes and it allowed for better Unit Color and Wing Transparency that I wanted for this Unit.

I am sure this is All More than most people care to read or know but thought I would post it for anyone interested :)
... in any case, you can see that the Killer Hornet is Moving his Mandibles and slight leg movements but at Civ Scale, this is not evident.

Many things to take into consideration and find the way to accomplish when trying to make a unit for the Civ Game...especially Units that are "different" and that we want to show an effect that is not normally used in the Game.

Last edited:
That's even more magnificent than Lorenzo de' Medici. If only Civ III could accomodate the details of such a fine specimen... Seriously, this unit is wonderful... I can't express it enough... Thanx!!!

Wow :eek: you finally finished it, and with such a brilliant amount of technique and taste! That is your new Masterpiece (after the Drunk)! You rock, mate! I'll check it ASAP, and I hope you could find sounds that fit with the great animations.

Thanks for all the Great Comments everyone :)

Supa... did you find any good way to render a fast transparent Wing Buzz in Poser without affecting the entire model?
The Procedures I worked out to accomplish anything close were a great deal of work.

I didn't.

I opted to keep the wings "solids" and paint them in white-gray.

The illusion of speed is due to a very short wings animation (only 3 positions from top to down). A bug in the preview is that the bottom of one wing looks very dark. It can be corrected inside Poser.

It looks better with blur effect though, like you did. I, for one, don't have your patience and skills. :)

I Noticed that the Death Animation had Fuzzy Ground Shadows in the Preview... I did not notice this because EFZI has a Dark Map.

I corrected the Shadows for the Death and Updated the Unit zip File in the Database.

For those of you have already Downloaded the Unit, here is a small zip file of Only the Death animation that you can use to Update the Unit without downloading the entire Unit again.

Probably not very important to most people and it may seem absurd but after all the work on this Unit, I could not leave those Ground Shadows Fuzzy :)

I am Updating the Preview as well.

In any case...IF you have Downloaded the unit before Now and want the Update, here it is... otherwise the Main Unit Zip in the Database has been Updated.

Attachments

• KillerHornetDeath.zip
    97 KB · Views: 69
themanuneed... Thanks and Glad you like the Unit.
...Well sounds were a bit of a problem but I managed to make them from what little I had to work with... and anyway, there is just not much one can add for Hornet Sounds...they Just "Buzz" :)

Supa... Your insects are Cool and I have wondered if you were going to complete your Insect MOD.

Supa... Your insects are Cool and I have wondered if you were going to complete your Insect MOD.

I want to. But I don't have the time to mod, pose or even play. And it won't get better anytime soon.

Your hornet model looks very good. Is it freely distributable ?

Exceptional unit, Vuldacon.
It might be fitted into my mod...I always need more insects :D.
As always, the animations are unique, and the detail (especially the mandibles!) is professional.

Top Bottom