Welcome To Our Worlds

I was wondering if you knew the Mission: Red Planet, a French board game where your objective is to colonize Mars with a strong Steampunk artistic direction.

If you need some addition art inspiration for some PCX or for some units, it's interesting to check out. Plus, it's a nice game.

@Quinzy:

Read Phillip Pullmans "His Dark Materials" saga, it's a alternate-reality-hopping sort of thing. Gyropters (helicopters), Amyronics (Electrics), and several other things are mentioned in them.

They're also great reads ;) My favourite books ever.

Anbarics, not Amyronics = Electronics:rolleyes:

*sighs*

Yes, I love those books too... and they sum up the current problem with the Irish Church pretty well!!!

@ KingArthur:

This sounds cool, ever read Philip Reeve's 'Mortal Engines' quartet? Its basically far-future, post-apocalyptic steampunk, might give some ideas for units/techs:)

I'm pretty new to modding, so I can't offer great units or anything, but I could do tech icons and stuff... and I produce music in my spare time so if you want a soundtrack I'm your man!

I haven't read them but I'll take a look now. We have pretty much worked out the unit and tech lines - you can read them in the other threads. As for tech icons we pretty much got that covered but we don't have any music - it would be nice to have a soundtrack and some diplo music for the different culture groups.

I haven't read them but I'll take a look now. We have pretty much worked out the unit and tech lines - you can read them in the other threads. As for tech icons we pretty much got that covered but we don't have any music - it would be nice to have a soundtrack and some diplo music for the different culture groups.

well, I'd love to help with music. Need to keep my hand in anyway, and as I'm devoting a lot of time to college work I might find it easier to motivate myself to compose if I have a set task:)

well, I'd love to help with music. Need to keep my hand in anyway, and as I'm devoting a lot of time to college work I might find it easier to motivate myself to compose if I have a set task:)

Y'know Sam, it turns out that I'm a keyboard player and composer myself - alas, without the fancy midi equipment that would allow me to share my stuff here - and it's not like I haven't been thinking about music for this mod. I've written a theme motif that I call "Cat & Mouse":

Cat & Mouse.jpg

Forgive me if this doesn't count out right - my sheet music writing skills are rusty - but, what I usually do with this is play the main motif with a walking Em bass and use an Am/blues break as a chorus...if that makes any sense to you...

Anyway, playing this main motif on harpsichord will give you an idea of why I think it might make the start of a good theme for a Victorian Steampunk scenario, perhaps.

Y'know Sam, it turns out that I'm a keyboard player and composer myself - alas, without the fancy midi equipment that would allow me to share my stuff here - and it's not like I haven't been thinking about music for this mod. I've written a theme motif that I call "Cat & Mouse":

View attachment 283402

Forgive me if this doesn't count out right - my sheet music writing skills are rusty - but, what I usually do with this is play the main motif with a walking Em bass and use an Am/blues break as a chorus...if that makes any sense to you...

Anyway, playing this main motif on harpsichord will give you an idea of why I think it might make the start of a good theme for a Victorian Steampunk scenario, perhaps.

I like it! You think you're bad? I'm a guitarist by vocation, composeing and recording entirely using freeware, with midi-controllable synths but sans midi controller, meaning i have to programme each note into the sequencer by hand... it once took me 3 hrs to record 3mns worth of music becuase I had to programme 5 different soft synths...:crazyeye:

This is the continuation of a discussion started in the Fun Stuff thread. I'm moving the discussion here to return that thread to on-topic "stuff", and so that I can find this discussion in the future:

Do we really think a main c&c thread will help? I'm not convinced.

What I think we should be doing is getting something tangible out there. Don't we have enough assembled already to make a fantastically good release? That would be the best advert for our endeavours and hopefully inspire folks to help make something great even better..

I agree, I've been saying that. All of the essential elements of the Lost Worlds mod are, by necessity, posted online already, save for the PediaIcons and Civilopedia text files (and Sound files, which are a different matter I'll discuss in a moment) which I would happily surrender to KA, if and whenever he requests it. But I can support a Lost Worlds thread or sub-forum within this forum for reasons I cite below.

But even such a thing might give me a kick in the pants to try to get some of the units done a bit quicker.

That would be worth a new thread. To some extent, we've been waiting on your efforts Tom- well, not you specifically, but on the units you're working on. I had offered to try to make a version of Lost Worlds without the inclusion of Barsoom; that idea that was unanimously shot down. But how to make a decent Barsoom without Thoats and Great White Apes and Worker Tharks?

It's apparent, Tom, that you've become a full member of this steampunk team by effort and default; because you've volunteered the difficult and essential task of making those units. You alone, apparently. You will be rewarded by seeing your units featured prominently in the Lost Worlds Mod and in a future stand-alone Barsoom mod. At least I hope you see that as "reward".... But I also hope you realize how much of this is now keyed to your effort in this regard. Pressure? Welcome to the club.

Even if it's premature for a main forum thread, maybe we ought to have one in this subforum.

And I really understand your point, Blue. You have your Hollow World and Sceptre & Orbs mod ideas that deserve a chance to live and breathe here as well. I would support a separate sub-forum for Lost Worlds within this forum for that reason, if no other.

And I also understand the frustration that everyone feels that this isn't finished yet. It's been like an event-horizon: the closer we get to completion, the more time seems to stand still. I'd remind everyone of just how far we've come in the last few years, from a 'blank page' to our present situation of near completion. Considering the ridiculous goals we naively set for ourselves, that's amazingly good.

As far as Lost Worlds is concerned, we have the following tasks before us, as I see it, before we're done:

1. Final Units - as discussed above, and in the Units Request Thread. Balaam-Agab has gone off the air on me again, and isn't responding to my PM's, but I have the Alice files that he sent me (with some base files missing) if anyone wants to take a stab at putting that unit together...

2. A separate tech tree for Barsoom and other civs? Buildings, wonders, for them? We haven't really discussed this yet. I'd also like to re-do the resources, as I'm not satisfied that we've got them right yet.

3. Sound files: now that we have Vernian Process' permission to use their music, those files we use will need to be converted into the proper format. I hope to contribute to the soundtrack myself, at some point, and think we should encourage other musicians, like Sr Sam Vimes, to contribute their work as well. Variety is spice.

4. Assembly: My computer is a pure mess. My cat managed to wipe all of my bookmarks and unfinished files this morning by stepping on my power strip. This doesn't bode well for me to have such a key role until I can get this beastly machine replaced, and everything ported onto a new hard drive. Too bad we don't have any good computer guys from the Cincinnati area in our group.

5. Beta: when we finally have a beta, I don't think we'll have any problem finding testers among those who have been following these threads faithfully. Moosezilla for sure; I'd like Tony Boscia, Civinator, and Plotinus to all have a look at it as well, as a preference.

The floor is wide open for discussion & dissent....

This is the continuation of a discussion started in the Fun Stuff thread. I'm moving the discussion here to return that thread to on-topic "stuff", and so that I can find this discussion in the future:
Neither "fun stuff" nor "welcome" suit the present discussion. How a bout a "getting to beta" thread? A moderator can move/copy posts into a new thread, so the previous discussion can be gathered. ;)

As far as Lost Worlds is concerned, we have the following tasks before us, as I see it, before we're done:

1. Final Units - as discussed above, and in the Units Request Thread. Balaam-Agab has gone off the air on me again, and isn't responding to my PM's, but I have the Alice files that he sent me (with some base files missing) if anyone wants to take a stab at putting that unit together...

2. A separate tech tree for Barsoom and other civs? Buildings, wonders, for them? We haven't really discussed this yet. I'd also like to re-do the resources, as I'm not satisfied that we've got them right yet.

3. Sound files: now that we have Vernian Process' permission to use their music, those files we use will need to be converted into the proper format. I hope to contribute to the soundtrack myself, at some point, and think we should encourage other musicians, like Sr Sam Vimes, to contribute their work as well. Variety is spice.

3. Assembly: My computer is a pure mess. My cat managed to wipe all of my bookmarks and unfinished files this morning by stepping on my power strip. This doesn't bode well for me to have such a key role until I can get this beastly machine replaced, and everything ported onto a new hard drive. Too bad we don't have any good computer guys from the Cincinnati area in our group.

4. Beta: when we finally have a beta, I don't think we'll have any problem finding testers among those who have been following these threads faithfully. Moosezilla for sure; I'd like Tony Boscia, Civinator, and Plotinus to all have a look at it as well, as a preference.

The floor is wide open for discussion & dissent....

1. If there is no functional Alice, then this is necessary. If there is one that can be a place holder then this doesn't prevent a demo/beta.
  2. Separate tech tree is nice, but not necessary for an early demo. Playtest may better reveal what's needed. Same goes for resources. So this item is not a complete roadblock.
  3. Music - not needed at all for a beta.
  4. Missing files? That's a killer.

Neither "fun stuff" nor "welcome" suit the present discussion. How a bout a "getting to beta" thread? A moderator can move/copy posts into a new thread, so the previous discussion can be gathered. ;)

1. If there is no functional Alice, then this is necessary. If there is one that can be a place holder then this doesn't prevent a demo/beta.
  2. Separate tech tree is nice, but not necessary for an early demo. Playtest may better reveal what's needed. Same goes for resources. So this item is not a complete roadblock.
  3. Music - not needed at all for a beta.
  4. Missing files? That's a killer.

I agree with all of that. As for missing files, we still have the BIQ and files I saved online last summer to work with. The Master Units Post can serve as a guide to update it to current specs.

aww... thanks:)

I'll beta test if you like, and I can help with unique tech trees or anyhting else like that that doesn't require genius-level modding ;)

anything I can do to help, PLEASE let me know!!!

You've made your point. Sorry, I got carried away.

While quite understanding of difficulties I notice that "Worlds" is really singular until more mod/scenario are "listed" in the locked directory. Perhaps a listing w/ a "dormant" tag can be done? Three such would be Sceptre & Orbs, Tibetan Plateau and London. This way it shows that other developments are possible... (not to be distracting I hope.).

You're entirely right. Threads about scenarios that I've been brainstorming are in preparation. The Lost Worlds thread opens with a lot of info that was in several of the old threads. The same thing is needed for these scenarios. & there's a lot of material in the previous discussions. Especially for Sceptre & Orbs. Some of that material includes recapping contributions by oh, say Moosezilla. It shouldn't be too much longer before those threads appear. At that time the scenarios will be added to the lists both in the OP of this thread & the directory thread.

Just to whet people's appetites - not for discussion until their threads open - here's a brief list:
  • Hollow Earth - based on Verne, Bulwer-Lytton, Burroughs, Poe, d'Alveydre & a few others.
  • Sceptre & Orbs - A Planetary Romance
  • Dark Continent - Exploring Africa in a Steampunk alternate history
  • Kekulé - if you want more of a teaser think about what kind of map would have such a name - look it up.
  • An unnamed Prof. Challenger style adventure on an isolated cryptozoic plateau

Those are very roughly arranged by how far along their design is. It's up to King Arthur & Balthasar to add their contributions about other possible scenarios.

To recap then: the Steampunk scenarios under my direction are:

Lost Worlds - already discussed
BARSOOM - based on Edgar Rice Burroughs' stories
Steampunk London - same tech tree and Wonders, new map, some new civs.

I do have Workshop threads for the last two over at Storm Over Civ.

I also can't let an opportunity to acknowledge Moosezilla's creative contributions pass. You've been in our threads since the start, Moose; archives don't lie.

Sorry this is a little off topic but, I was wondering Balthasar, why have some threads on Storm Over Civ and some here? I've been wondering this for a while when I see people reference that some material is on that site and some here. It always seems stange to me to spread things over two sites. I haven't used that site much. Is there a lot of stuff on there that isn't here? I mean in general, not just steampunk stuff.

I basically just didn't want to clog this site up with unfinished stuff. I had alot of semi-worked on scenario ideas on my desktop and needed a place to stash some files and perhaps discuss the rest. I got the idea to put up a little workshop of my own when Vuldacon invited me over to his SOS forum one day to check out his latest iteration of EFZI. There's very some interesting stuff over there (besides mine) to check out, but, like mine, most of the forums there are for stuff that's in-development.

By comparison to most of those forums, when King Arthur started this Forum, it wasn't about his specific ideas or plans, it was about getting ideas from everyone, and I think that's been the secret of this forum's success. One of the reasons we've reorganized it lately is that, in the heat of working on the Lost Worlds Mod, understandably some of the other worthy mod ideas we'd discussed had languished. There's still work to be done on LW, but now that it's nearing completion (despite blowing up twice, being wiped, mutilated, reconfigured, and un-debugged), we figured it's time to make room for those ideas to have their days in the sun. I look forward to working on them.

So, yeah, I have a studio at SOS, but I prefer to hang out here.....

Top Bottom