1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

2018 U.S election

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Zkribbler, Jun 4, 2018.

1. Takhisis

Takhisis ΑΛΗΘΩС ΑΝΕСΤΗ

And yet people get scared of a Nader that will just allow Dubya to steal an election.
    Aren't you the one who says that he'll vote for any political party as long as they let you ‘keep your guns’ and to hell with every single other aspect of their platform?

Sommerswerd and Arwon like this.
  2. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Warlord

40% of the voters want a new political party to vote upon in another country with a first-past-the-post system dominated by two polarising parties.

3. metatron

metatron deplorable ally

I find it very fascinationg that this doesn't happen in the US, i.e. that there are not replacements for one party or another based on region or state (never mind, say MN).
    It happens in other fptp countries like Canada and Australia.
    I suppose the issue is that you can primary people in the US and that way grievances and dissatisfactions get channeled even in places where one or the other party is weak to the point of irrelevance.

4. onejayhawk

onejayhawk Afflicted with reason

True that. Gary Johnson came very close to costing Trump the election.

Johnson was once polling almost 10%. On election day he received 3.27%. Even so, he had more than the margin victory in MI, NH, PA, WI, FL, MN, NV, ME, NC, and CO. If you subtract Jill Stein's tally from Johnson's, you still get the first four. It's fair to say that voters abandoning Johnson for Trump swung the election.

J

5. innonimatu

innonimatu Warlord

He definitely got elected on votes cast just to thwart the most hated woman in the country.

6. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Another drone in the hive mind

The US system is not just fptp, it has had a lot of structural regulation added by the two parties to ensure that they are the only two parties. The hoops that a third party candidate has to jump through while their two opponents from the entrenched parties get to just say "here we are again" tip the field almost beyond overcoming. And if a third party starts to look like it might actually be getting somewhere the big two can be counted on for some bipartisan legislation to add some new hoops in the process. In the interest of fairness, of course.

cardgame and Hrothbern like this.
  7. metatron

metatron deplorable ally

I'm not convinced by that argument at all. The reason there is no Wild Rose party taking over the Idaho legislature or some Alternate League For Social Justice is the minority party on some certain city councils (with Ds as majority) can hardly be that the major parties in the US are particularly strong, if for no other reason that they kind of aren't that strong in international comparison.
    I renew my suspiscion that primaries as a pressure valve actually kind of... work.

I find this quite unsatisfying and don't mean to endorse this arrangement, in case you feared i could hold such feelings.
    And yes i know about many of the shenanigans you mentioned, but from my vantage point the truely curious thing remains why this is not, if you will, fanning the flames of some sort of uprising.
    Look at Trump. In Europe that would be a new party; he just stole one. Because it's easy. Way easier than in Australia or Canada, let alone PR countries.
    And that's the national level, not some city council, which should be way easier.

8. AdrienIer

AdrienIer Chieftain

Interestingly the 538 lite model, while giving the dems the house and the reps the senate on its forecast is doing the opposite in terms of individual races. It's saying that the dems are favored to win NV AZ and TN while losing ND (hence winning the senate), and are only favored to win 21 house seats (+22, -1 in MN) coming up just short of retaking the majority.

9. Patine

Patine Warlord

You are far too easily satisfied and placated with the pablum continuously fed to you by the Duopoly, it's campaign propaganda engines, and it's rigged electoral system's voter information handouts and education. They like good little sheep like you...

10. metatron

metatron deplorable ally

Not only is the bulk of what you said about me untrue.
    Not only could you easily know one datum or another about my identity that renders the core thrust of your claim moot.
    No, actually, my post explicitly pronounces the opposite of the view you claim i held.

That's a truely amazing level of misunderstanding. And i am somewhat confident i'm not the one to blame for it. :)

11. Takhisis

Takhisis ΑΛΗΘΩС ΑΝΕСΤΗ

He didn't steal it. He might have not been in it from the beginning, but he jsut said what the rest of the party/movement had been saying for decades.

12. Rashiminos

Rashiminos Fool Prophet

Uh no, although I can see where the confidence to make that call comes from.

From the anti-capitalist POV, Sanders has spent too much time bending to the whims of neoliberals after the Hillary nomination. They require someone who is a lot more strident, if not younger.

If that sentiment were particularly strong in Texas, Cruz wouldn't have made it out of primaries. We can assume that Cruz is fine for registered Republicans and other pre-Trump righties.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
  13. Patine

Patine Warlord

I believe all Americans who care about their nation, it's future, it's progress, it's dignity, the retention (or regaining) of a constitutional government that is answerable and accountable to it's people, and the end of smug, arrogant, corrupt, complacent, and apathetic politicians who take their constituents, and even whole states', vote for granted because of a party nomination they have secured and for no other merit, would actively work to utterly destroy the vile, corrupt, internally destructive party Duopoly of the Republicans AND Democrats in a massive legislative revolt akin to the Clean Hands electoral event in Italy in the '90's. But who am I kidding - this is dreaming here - most Americans, for all their patriotic, nationalist, "America First" bravado, don't really value their nation and it's advancement THAT much - and the voting record shows it...

14. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Warlord

yes...duopoly indeed
    And that in a country where cartels of the business are illegal

15. Patine

Patine Warlord

But, despite, being illegal, they exist there too. Ask any American who lives in one of the huge swaths of U.S. territory where Comcast is THE ISP, how much choice of Internet access they have - prior to actually getting online and arranging for a new service provider online (and I think Comcast has ways to sabotage that at times). I've heard many horror stories from a lot of Americans who live in Comcast's monopoly area - even monopolies are illegal, on paper, in the U.S. And let's not forget the LONG-STANDING (and for most casual computer users, still extant) MacOS-Windows Duopoly. And many towns and small cities in the U.S., from what I've read and heard, suffer a Walmart monopoly on all retail. WHERE ARE THE TRUSTBUSTER!?

16. Rashiminos

Rashiminos Fool Prophet

Americans have divergent conceptions of the future and are tribalizing accordingly. Those in search of common ground find that their first task is preventing that ground from becoming no man's land. It would appear that the chosen method for breaking the 'duopoly' is putting them at each other's throats.

17. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Warlord

Is that not a general issue ?
    If you do not enforce laws, all laws, and nothing but the laws
    the protection of the state to her citizens is at stake

18. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Warlord

Under the control of the federal government, which is under the control of corporate lobbyists. :whipped:
    There once was NY AG Eliot Spitzer who kicked butt, but he's been disgraced and deposed. :splat:

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
    Oerdin likes this.
  19. Takhisis

Takhisis ΑΛΗΘΩС ΑΝΕСΤΗ

Mani Pulite did end the traditional duopoly of corrupt self-serving parties and replaced them with a personalistic populistic regime led by a senescent media mogul with a history of sexual abuse and racist politics galore.

20. onejayhawk

onejayhawk Afflicted with reason

Having lived in one of those small cities, Walmart is not something you suffer. It's a major improvement. It is also not a monopoly. Small stores learned what Walmart would stock and offered other things, which improved the selection available.

J

Bamspeedy and Oerdin like this.