2019 NFL Regular Season Thread

"Well ain't that a kick in the head?" - Deshaun Watson

For those who haven't seen it yet, Deshaun Watson gets draped on by the rush, does a spinning hand in the dirt escape and gets kicked in the head, comes up twisting his helmet back into place and throws the game winning TD despite his left eye having swollen shut pretty much instantly.

I saw the play live, and then saw a picture of Watson in the press room. He's gonna have a beaut of a black eye.
And it was bleeping amazing he could nail that pass with only one eye.

I saw the play live, and then saw a picture of Watson in the press room. He's gonna have a beaut of a black eye.
And it was bleeping amazing he could nail that pass with only one eye.

That was one of those amazing bad luck deals. Over the facemask, under the helmet, kicked square in the eye. What are the odds?

I think making the pass after it was higher odds.

Once you get to the middle of the first round the values don't change all that much

Are we sure about that? The Saints gave up their next year's first round pick so they could move up to select Marcus Davenport who was only 14th overall (pretty close to the middle of the first round and not a top 10 pick).

There are always exceptions, in team opinions or needs,and individual players.

According to a McCarthy interview, when he was in green bay, the packers would always have 16 players on their draft board of who should be picked in the first round. If none of those 16 we're available when it was the packers turn, they would trade down, with the theory that there wasn't much talent difference between picking then compared to a later pick in the first round, or early pick in second round. McCarthy didn't like this philosophy, but sure enough year after year, there was still someone in their top 16 available. Aaron Rogers was in their top 16 and still available at #22.

Edit: should be Holmgren, not mccarthy

Last edited:
Even with the theory "each team thinks there are only 16 players in each draft of first round talent", if the Texans don't even make the playoffs that means the Dolphins will have, at worst pick number 20. In that case, what are the odds that one of those 16 players they're interested would still be available? Compared to if the Texans made it to say, the divisional round?

I turned the game on at...WTF...fourteen zip Dolphins? But apparently someone got word to the sidelines that the Bengals are standing by ready to steal that number one pick and someone needed to get out there and take one for the team because now it's Steelers by ten and looking like they will continue pulling away.

What the heck? Just watched a Rams replay...

Jet sweep right to Cooper Kupp.

Wait, no, it's a reverse, Kupp hands off to dude going the other way.

Wait, no, that dude tosses it back to Goff who kinda just kept drifting back after handing it off. Goff throws it...to Kupp down the right sideline.

This isn't even fair. Probably would never work against anyone but the Bengals, but it seriously looked like a scene from Harlem Globetrotters Decide to Play Football.

And the Chargers fire Whiz. Have to wonder if Lynn is fearing for his job.

And the Chargers fire Whiz. Have to wonder if Lynn is fearing for his job.

The big rumor here in the part of Raider country where the Chargers unfortunately live is Melvin Gordon. The complete collapse of the running game cost Wiz the job (word is), partly because (word is) he put Gordon back on top of the depth chart over objections from people who thought Austin Eckler had earned it and Gordon 'deserved to lose it.' So with hm out it seems likely that Eckler will go back in and Gordon will be dealt before the deadline tomorrow. No indication that Lynn is currently on the block, though if the poor offensive performances don't go out the door with Wiz then Lynn probably will be there pretty quick.

How many of you think a 49ers Patriots Super Bowl is the most likely outcome at this point ?

While the Flying Elvii are close to a foregone conclusion, how 'bout we wait until 12/8 before proclaiming anything about the Niners.

I think the Saints and at least one NFC north team are better than the 49ers.

I'll wait for the their game with NO first before I consider them championship material.

I'm hoping someone else knocks the Patriots off and the 49ers make it without having to face the Patriots... Obviously because I'm a 49ers fan, but also because as everyone knows, I homer pretty hard for the Pats, outside of the 49ers, so I'm not relishing the idea of having to root against the Patriots... which I absolutely would be doing if they faced the 49ers in the Superbowl. It was uncomfortable enough having to root for the Patriots against the Eagles... another team I've got a lot of affection for, having lived in Philly for several years... I even know the Eagles fight song by heart.

In any case, its been a long time since I could have any realistic hope of the 49ers making to the Superbowl so I'm thoroughly and unabashedly enjoying the hope it while it lasts... jinxes be damned :D

If it's going to happen, I want them both to be undefeated when they get there so that old Dolphins team will know their record has fallen.

If it's going to happen, I want them both to be undefeated when they get there so that old Dolphins team will know their record has fallen.
Well the 49ers have a pretty rough schedule for the rest of the season. Their nine remaining games have 6 that we should expect to be pretty tough, even if you want to take the 2 Cards games and the Atlanta game for granted, which I don't. The Patriots also have a much meatier schedule in front of them than what they've faced so far, so I'm thinking that both teams finishing undefeated is nigh impossible.

As long as the Patriots defense continues to play their lights out, they have a reasonably good chance of an unblemished record.

I actually think the Pats next game might be their toughest challenge all season because:

1) the Ravens are pretty good
2) game is in Baltimore (and the Ravens statistically have a remarkable home field advantage)
3) Ravens are coming off a bye week.

edit: but the 49ers have a much harder remaining schedule IMO, so I highly doubt they’ll have a perfect season. Although, their games with the Saints and Packers could determine who gets
the number one seed.

Last edited:
I just hate hearing about their party every year when the last team falls. SO much so that I wouldn't even mind if the pats did it.

"their party" who are you referring to?

Top Bottom