2020 US Election (Part Two)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Try mixing both subjects. So, which famous chef would make a better president than the lot available for that election?

Try mixing both subjects. So, which famous chef would make a better president than the lot available for that election?

Who is Anthony Bourdain? (yes this is true even though he's dead)

Um, did this thread get merged with the cooking threat without my knowledge?
Or did a Farmboy allusion achieve sentience and is now making us all speak in code?
Its all one thread, that's been established... just relax and let it happen.
Well, it is an exceptional cuisine!

Man I could go for some fresh peas. Like 8 months on the garden being ready with them, I suppose.
Agreed it is... the snails are nice, the pastries are better, the cheese is better still, the roasted meats are second to none... and the wine, the wine... well... that's where they fall short... undrinkable swill that...
Spoiler :

:cringe: :p :lol:

Obviously French wine is the best by far... its amazing really.
Trying to decide if I am going to watch the debate live or watch the highlights later. I think I could go for a nice movie or a show instead. Meanwhile I just got an air fryer today so I'm gonna try some chicken with a beer-can rub and roasted mini-potatoes avec California veggies. I almost went with peas actually... frozen not fresh, still better than canned.

I just don't want the debate spoiling my meal. I want to relax... :think:hmmm, maybe I've got some French wine lying around ? :mischief:
I tentatively vote for Gordon Ramsay... he makes English/Irish/Scottish food good... obvious top level genius/wizard.

Last edited:
This was interesting... apparently we've got a close race in Iowa between two women and one (the Republican) got caught out of touch with a bread-and-butter issue.

The whole debate/interview between the two candidates. Time index (1:05:37 to 1:08:19) for the corn/soybean questions. Ernst made a fool of herself.

@Farm Boy if you have thoughts I'd love to hear it. I know you're in Illinois not Iowa, but my impression is Ernst isn't looking good, she clearly knows jack squat about the major crop prices.

Last edited:
I'm openly balking on the election today. I had to sit through 90 minutes of mandatory lecture from my employer on wink wink nod nod which party you need to vote for, on Oct. 22nd of a presidential year, during the only nice hour of sun my son wasn't in class. F. This. Jazz.

Also... corn is 3$ and soybean is 10$ ?? Is soybean that much larger in bushel size/volume than corn? If not, why doesn't everyone just do corn? Water?

No French wine... doubleturds!! I've got Argentinian, New Zealand, Aussie, Italian, Spanish, Californian... but no French... My wife opted for Sangria.

I'm going with Cognac... that's French :D

I don't know enough about the Scots' food to defend them. :p
It's like bagpipes. If you have good taste you'll like it and if you don't you won't.
Um, did this thread get merged with the cooking threat without my knowledge?
You too acknowledge that Donald Trump's re-election would mean four more years of whoppers at White House dinners and overdone steak with tomato ketchup and fries.

Also feel free to add your knowledge.

https://www.nass.usda.gov/Statistic...ounty_Estimates/2019/IL-Soybean-Yield-Map.pdf

https://www.nass.usda.gov/Statistic...s/County_Estimates/2019/IL-Corn-Yield-Map.pdf

Corn is more profitable, generally. But corn on corn on corn takes a lot more inputs. Corn devours nitrogen, soybeans are ~nitrogen neutral. Cycling crops helps on reducing herbicide/insecticide usage and volunteer(weeds) crops from spillage/droppage the previous season. Edit: you get a lot more stubble buildup too doing straight corn, so you have to work that in/chop it up/cut through it, every field pass costs erosion and diesel.

Also, the work windows are slightly different, so if you get rained out for your last 50% for half a month, it's better to put beans in late then corn. Some people do go corn on corn on corn.

Beans have also jumped on a purchase of American soy by the PRC.

Last edited:
Still balking today, I'll circle back around for it later if you remind me.

In the future, I would prefer you quote my post instead of @ me. Makes it easier to follow what exactly you are responding to.
With regards to US action, I genuinely don't care what China is doing. We are facing a crisis that threatens to unleash more suffering than both world wars, and here are people saying that Chinese bad action absolves us of any need to act seriously. Although US emissions have been declining slightly, the rate of decrease flatlined after Trump took office and began rolling back most (if not all) Obama-era emission regulations. We are nowhere near meeting out Paris goals, nor are a lot of other countries. But again, given the importance of keeping temperature rise under 2F, what ever happened to the America of "We do things not because they are easy, but because they are hard"?

The original point of all this was not to excuse American responsibility in the aim of easing and hopefully overcoming global warming, it was the ineffectiveness of the Paris Accords that exiting now seem to thusly summed up as: big whoop. Didn’t matter much, as the US has had a ton of success before it and has still been positively moving on after leaving it. I don’t see the merit in crapping on Trump for it.

The P5+1 in the JCPOA all noted that the JCPOA was intended to deal solely with Iran's nuclear actions and not other potentially concerning Iranian policy.
What this misses is the resultant lightening of sanctions both during the deal and then subsequent further lifting over time was putting money back into the country, which was a bad thing for obvious international security reasons.

So, no response to the fact the killing of Soleimani was almost certainly illegal under both US law and international law?

I’m sure partisan lawyers could make excellent cases for both sides. I believe it certainly was illegal and very borderline if not. I don’t really care because the man constantly defied international law himself to cause harm to not just militias/rebels but to civilians. Garbage human being that I would’ve Hugh fived any president for killing, as a quick look at his prolific record shows it’s no stretch to assume future violence was coming from the dude.

Plus, what if another country were to use the precedent set by the United States here? Suppose Ukraine were to engage in a targeted killing of a uniformed Russian officer in Mink because the Russian officer was involved in organizing hostile actions with Ukrainian rebels against Ukrainian government forces. Is that something we should normalize?
In the fall of 1990, when the United States was openly calling for military action against Iraq, should Iraq have been permitted under international law to assassinate US generals involved in that planning because it posed a direct threat to Iraqi troops?[/QUOTE)

I don’t know, it would depend on the situation - who is the hypothetical general? If he’s an international criminal terrorist constantly defying toothless international law and carrying out violence, (and not just claims of violence, but verified historic records) and the country had the general as a known terrorist for years, then sure. Better than normalizing appeasement.

The WHO screwed up its response in the early days. As I've noted to people on and off this forum - you can ask Lexicus - I was moderately positive toward Trump's response toward Covid in the early days as it wasn't clear what else he could do and it apparently took everyone around the world by surprise. Since the early days, Trump's response has been abysmal and more information has come out that the the CDC was subject to political pressure to play down the seriousness of Covid and the White House knew it was very serious back in early/mid February and did nothing.
The White House did nothing? That’s a pretty bold claim. Can you flesh out what you think was wrong with the response (or non-response if that’s your opinion)? Info revealing the WHO was pressured into covering up Taiwan’s warning and China’s attempts to keep the outbreak hush hush just makes the WHO look worse, especially considering countries like the ones you mentioned were undoubtedly looking to them for leadership.

Plus, Turkey has more been flirting with Russia than China.

Agreed. I was trying to say this but I guess I wasn’t clear.

Turkish forces went in when American forces left

Wrong. The Turks pushed in first, then the troops were called back.

Regardless of whether we should have been fighting alongside the Kurds, the way we treated them was abysmal. They fought and died alongside US forces against ISIS, and then we threw them under the bus. That is going to make any other non-state force very suspicious of working alongside us in the future.

The US has done what it can in aiding them to fight ISIS. They cannot touch the Turks who moved in, so they had to move. The Kurds have gotten a lot of help, resources and blood from the US.

Given we were reinforcing US forces in Syria with armored vehicles and artillery back in September, I think we are doing a little more than intelligence and training.

Are right, we’re arming them too. Doesn’t sound like we’re being so bad now does it? They are not being thrown under the bus.

I think it’s clear the White House foreign policy decisions can be debated (obviously, that’s foreign policy). I think it’s partisan extremism to label it as a whole as a “dumpster fire” which is why this started.

I’m sure partisan lawyers could make excellent cases for both sides. I believe it certainly was illegal and very borderline if not. I don’t really care because the man constantly defied international law himself to cause harm to not just militias/rebels but to civilians. Garbage human being that I would’ve Hugh fived any president for killing, as a quick look at his prolific record shows it’s no stretch to assume future violence was coming from the dude.

Should Iran have been able to assassinate John Bolton for his role in violating international law during the Iraq War and attempting to drum up support for an invasion of Iran?

Should Iran have been able to assassinate John Bolton for his role in violating international law during the Iraq War and attempting to drum up support for an invasion of Iran?

why_not_both.jpg

I didn't get that. But anyway what I was saying is that the strategy for democracy to win is going smaller.

The planet requires some level of rule of law on a global level, without it its an endless race to the bottom democracy or not. Small democracies are easier to over-run then large ones.

I'm seriously telling you, guys, if you want the Takh to watch these debates you'll have to reschedule them, because it's, like, Takh's opinion that he'd rather watch The Rookie every Thursday, and even better if there's a Jackie Chan film on after, and that is, like, an opinion by which the Takh abides.

I'm seriously telling you, guys, if you want the Takh to watch these debates you'll have to reschedule them, because it's, like, Takh's opinion that he'd rather watch The Rookie every Thursday, and even better if there's a Jackie Chan film on after, and that is, like, an opinion by which the Takh abides.

I suggest abstaining they are always garbage.

wtf don't you dare insult the filmography of Jackie Chan

Not much new in the debate. Trump just attacked Biden and lied. Biden did pretty well. Trump was given opportunities to talk to the nation and he didn't. He attacked Biden instead. He was big on Biden being corrupt. The moderator did better than the previous ones.

Also... corn is 3$ and soybean is 10$ ?? Is soybean that much larger in bushel size/volume than corn? If not, why doesn't everyone just do corn? Water?

No French wine... doubleturds!! I've got Argentinian, New Zealand, Aussie, Italian, Spanish, Californian... but no French... My wife opted for Sangria.

I'm going with Cognac... that's French :D

NZ wine any good? Not a wine fan so I can't really judge it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom