1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

2020 US Election (Part Two)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Lexicus, Mar 11, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Estebonrober

Estebonrober Deity

The façade is important. Now we have red politicians saying blue states and cities do not deserve to be considered American basically.

2. innonimatu

innonimatu Deity

Yes Stalin for his many many faults at least was smart, got most of his goals done! The antifa can't get anything done but strengthen the public standing of those they allege to be fighting. Allege. Some are fools, some know what they are doing indeed...

Oh, so like the US training and arming terrorists in so many countries,Libya, Syria just to cite the most obvious current ones? Or, speaking about "international war criminal" whatever that might be, like perhaps invading countries without a UN mandate for it?

Your arguments are pathetic.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
  3. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

Antifa isn't an organization, it's a self-label people assign to themselves. I've definitely seen 'Antifa' suppress free speech, and by calling themselves Antifa, other people who also self-identify are then tempted to defend the behaviour.

It's a solidarity thing, a tribal thing. As long as Antifa is a self-identification rather than a club you join with an approval process, it's going to be tainted by both bad actors and by people who instinctively defend those bad actors.

Sofista likes this.
  4. aelf

aelf Ashen One

And yet we're told that broad-brushing conservatives or Republicans is bad.

Fried Mars bars taste like Mars, which taste like chocolate and sugar. Now, unless you dislike chocolate and sugar, I'm not really sure what's so bad about fried Mars bars except the fact that they're unhealthy (like a lot of the cuisines talked about here).

Shepherd's pie is boring food. There's hardly any spicing to speak of and nothing tasty in it. It's not even particularly healthy.

5. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

"We can violate international law to kill people who violate international law because violating international law is wrong" is...a position you can take I guess...

How about George W Bush, probably the biggest international war criminal in the last twenty years? Should another country have the right to kill him with a drone missile?

Don't speak of what you know nothing about...or at least, know nothing beyond what the media you constantly criticize has fed you...

Ajidica likes this.
  6. Ironsided

Ironsided Flower of happiness

I assume you mean unity is important, like solidarity with other Americans. A society where you stand up for each other and help instead of divide. I can totally agree with that. That is not what forty years of forced bipartisan neoliberalism has resulted in.

Estebonrober likes this.
  7. Estebonrober

Estebonrober Deity

you mean bipartisan as in the parties themselves. I guess I can see that point.

Ironsided likes this.
  8. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

10 days to go...

9. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Deity

10 days more for voting before election day

Turnout as % of total 2016 turnout:
    listed in probability order as from 538 for a Biden win

Florida: 55.1%
    Arizona: 47.1%
    North Carolina: 62.0%
    Georgia: 56.0%
    Iowa: 43.3%
    Ohio: 33.1%
    Texas: 76.4%

https://electproject.github.io/Early-Vote-2020G/index.html

Kyriakos and EdmundIronside like this.
  10. Farm Boy

Farm Boy You gave me my own tail?

Romney is still around. Voted against Trump, too. Be nice to see more of him, probably. At least given the alternatives we've had and probably expect.

11. EdmundIronside

EdmundIronside Challenge Accepted

Number of Michelin star restaurants
    United Kingdom 168, Greece 4.:dunno:

https://nerdyfoodies.com/countries-with-the-most-michelin-stars-412.html

Some of the modern takes on shepherds pie are pretty good, spicing it up a little. Of course in America they often make it with beef not lamb, which makes it cottage pie, not shepherds pie!

I think there is value voting for third parties. If either of the major parties find they are losing too many voters to a particular 3rd party, it might make them change their policies to more appeal to those voters. Of course you need to pick and choose your battles carefully. I have voted for the Greens in the past. However when you have a Climate change denying, anti-environmentalist, who has pushed through nearly a 100 anti environmental policies in office, this is probably not the time to vote 3rd party (there are also many other good reasons for wanting to get rid of Trump).
    As for the GOP supporting the Greens, this falls into the same category as the Democrats blocking the Greens running in Pennsylvania & Wisconsin, it just makes sense as people who vote Green are likely to be on the leftwing! However as shown in Rhode Island where their Green Party blocked Howie Hawkins from running citing the danger of a Trump re-election, Green voters are aware of the danger of splitting the vote. I suspect thanks to Trump the Greens wont do very well this presidential campaign.

Agreed, Trump is struggling in states that should be a lock from him based on 2016 voting. The following states he has single digit lead or no lead in despite winning by around 10 to 25 in 2016.
    According to fivethirtyeight:
    Iowa = Biden up by 1.2
    Kansas = Trump up by 9
    Missouri = Trump up by 6.5
    Montana = Trump up by 7.1
    Nebraska = Trump up by 7.1

Other states where he has a single digit lead despite winning big there in 2016:
    Alaska = Trump up by 5.8
    South Carolina = Trump up by 7.2

12. Grisu

Grisu Draghetto Retired Moderator

this will hurt Obama politically.

Ziggy Stardust likes this.
  13. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd Rest in Peace Black Panther

14. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Deity

15. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

What does Michelin have to do with food quality? Don't they make tyres? :p

That's not even noting that eating at an expensive restaurant isn't representative of a country's cousine in the first place.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
    innonimatu and Hrothbern like this.
  16. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

Time to open up a trendy fish restaurant.
    Lots of fresh fish of types the English usually turn their noses up at.

EdmundIronside likes this.
  17. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Deity

yes and yes
    Did Michelin perhaps start as giving rates to road restaurants for truckers to get a decent meal ?

It is possible to have enough more local food on the menu, but it is most of all, at least here in NL. just international and quality at high expense for the happy few

And lots of demands from Michelin that are really overcooked

Here someone from NL who did not wanted the theatre anymore

Kyriakos likes this.
  18. Farm Boy

Farm Boy You gave me my own tail?

In the context of the environmental regulations and roll backs, I agree with the general tenor, here. But just the one example I know of, because the issue isn't that easy: one of the water protections rolled back was a pretty stupid one. It made is so that if you put in a grassed agricultural ditch(which keeps worked soil from eroding off when it rains), in some instances, it would wind up federally regulated and screw up the production acres around it. So there was an incentive to rip them out before the federal government claimed them as federal waterways. There was definitely an incentive not to put any new ones in. Water erosion is a much bigger factor than wind erosion, so while the water idea was pretty on point, the long term fertility impacts were pretty universally bad. Hopefully, when we get around to putting some of those back in, the sitting executive is less of an idiot than the current one, and lets what remaining career civil servants in the USDA remain have a better seat at the table with the EPA or whoever was in charge of that particular regulatory dumdum move.

It's not easy. :dunno: But we're trying. You have to remember, the US Federal government hasn't approved a new general use herbicide in like 25 years. It's all been technology that reduces the application rate required for effectiveness and resistence in the crops themselves. With organic being vogue, mechanical removal is vogue too. Good in some ways, bad for field passes and bad for erosion.

Birdjaguar likes this.
  19. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd Rest in Peace Black Panther

Its true that if you get even one Michelin star, your volume of business goes up, and the socioeconomic status of your patrons goes up, along with the expectations. But that's just proof that Michelin stars are well respected and established measures of a restaurant being high quality. I expect it would create a ton of pressure, and be sort of a curse for a restaurant that was not really seeking fine-dining notoriety.

FWIW I actually enjoy Greek food and Mediterranean food in general. Its actually hard to find a proper Greek restaurant. I find that Greek folks here open alot of diners, that serve encyclopedic menus of mediocre food, or other types of restaurants like pizzerias or American-style fish take out restaurants, rather than focusing on actual Greek cuisine.

20. EdmundIronside

EdmundIronside Challenge Accepted

There is only one Cod!

Sommerswerd and AmazonQueen like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.