2020 US Election (Part One)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Trump won re-election today, I just watched Lindsey Graham's opening statement for the IG report hearing...it was devastatingly stupid

FTFY.

I noticed a devastating lack of stupid executed by the minority party in this committee. No pointless points of order, no parliamentary inquiries. No games, they let Lindsey exaggerate without argument.

Biden says he will only serve for one term if elected president, which means we would get no incumbent advantage in 2024
But then we could get AOC in 2024. Also... what?!? When did he say that? I hadn't heard that.

EDIT: I looked it up on the Google and got this, but its hardly conclusive:
https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/11/politics/joe-biden-2020-one-term/index.html
LOL...you would have rated it "devastating" if he had drooled for ten minutes and fallen out of his chair, so I think a second opinion is probably called for.
Lindsey Graham's arguments in defense of Trump are always the same and very similar to his defense of Kavanaugh... ranting, raving, red-faced, snarling, full of passion, righteous indignation and finger-pointing and generally free of any truth, facts, or integrity.

Without even watching it... I'm guessing the TL;DR is..."This is all a sham! The whole process has been totally unfair! How dare you drag this President through the mud! I'm sickened by this whole thing! You Democrats should be ashamed! You're all sore losers from the election and you've been out to impeach him since the day he took office! The Muller report totally exonerated Trump and these hearings have exonerated him again! Joe Biden is the one who should be investigated! You Democrats are the ones who have broken the rules! You'll get what's coming to you once you're in the minority again!"

So if you are a person who tends to agree with all of that... of course you will be impressed by Lindsey Graham saying it in his typical impassioned way. But if you recognize that its all horsesqueeze... not so much.

Last edited:
Is the Bloomberg ad blitz having any affect? He's not registered for this month's debate, right?

Is the Bloomberg ad blitz having any affect? He's not registered for this month's debate, right?

As a proud New Yorker I can proudly say 'no'. It seems the ahoge that the 'mayor of NYC is the second most important person in the nation' seems to be, and may always had been, a self-aggrandizing load of hot air. No one wants to listen to NYC mayors, not even New Yorkers.

FTFY.

I noticed a devastating lack of stupid executed by the minority party in this committee. No pointless points of order, no parliamentary inquiries. No games, they let Lindsey exaggerate without argument.

Did the IG take issue with what he said? I thought the hearing was great, relaxed, members had all the time they needed and the witness wasn't badgered... and none of the Democrats asked the IG to contradict Graham. Mr Horowitz, did Sen Graham exaggerate anything? Is there anything he said you take issue with?

Lindsey Graham's arguments in defense of Trump are always the same and very similar to his defense of Kavanaugh... ranting, raving, red-faced, snarling, full of passion, righteous indignation and finger-pointing and generally free of any truth, facts, or integrity.

I agree about his performance in the Kavanaugh case, that wasn't how he acted with the IG. His inner lawyer came out because the facts were on his side. You're a lawyer, whats that saying about how to argue when you do or dont have the facts on your side. He stumbled a few times trying to read transcripts, lost his train of thought a little, but he shredded RussiaGate and the upper echelon of the FBI, Comey, McCabe, Strozk, and the guy who I think has a criminal referral coming for destroying exculpatory evidence of Page's innocence.

Without even watching it... I'm guessing the TL;DR is..."This is all a sham! The whole process has been totally unfair! How dare you drag this President through the mud! I'm sickened by this whole thing! You Democrats should be ashamed! You're all sore losers from the election and you've been out to impeach him since the day he took office! The Muller report totally exonerated Trump and these hearings have exonerated him again! Joe Biden is the one who should be investigated! You Democrats are the ones who have broken the rules! You'll get what's coming to you once you're in the minority again!"

So if you are a person who tends to agree with all of that... of course you will be impressed by Lindsey Graham saying it in his typical impassioned way. But if you recognize that its all horsesqueeze... not so much.

So you didn't watch it. He didn't have to present any facts, the IG did that. His opening statement methodically set the stage so we could see what happened, the Democrats did nothing but keep repeating how the IG didn't find evidence of Priestap's bias. Other than paying lip service to how we gotta reform the FISA system they mostly ignored Page and how he became the conduit for spying on Trump.

I'm confused, what does any of this have to do with Trump basically bribing a country to do him a personal favor or his obstruction of the investigation.
This is just a side show to distract from the real issue at hand. If others did illegal acts, then they should be tried for them. It doesn't change what Trump did. Or more important, it's not a justification. Just because you do something shady doesn't not allow me to break the law without consequences.

I'm confused, what does any of this have to do with Trump basically bribing a country to do him a personal favor or his obstruction of the investigation.

Still at which trials?

If Trump refused to give Ukraine any "help", he would be "blackmailing them". Or "acting as a russian agent".

If Trump approved help topUkraine he would be "bribing them".

Either way, evil Trump, must destroy. And of course if he tried to mount any defense against such accusations he would be "obstructing".

This is not serious politics. This is circus for the partisans. There will be a price to pay for this and you will not like it. We're probably seeing the results of despising people and giving them circus, in Britain now. Take note.

Last edited:
If Trump approved helt top Ukraine he would be "bribing them".
It is Congress who approves the aid. Congress approved this aid. It was not appropriate for Trump to hold up its release in return for an action of benefit to him personally.

It is Congress who approves the aid. Congress approved this aid. It was not appropriate for Trump to hold up its release in return for an action of benefit to him personally.

Idk why but this reminded me of the "It is not for you to deny the Return of the King, Steward!"
lol

Did the IG take issue with what he said? I thought the hearing was great, relaxed, members had all the time they needed and the witness wasn't badgered... and none of the Democrats asked the IG to contradict Graham. Mr Horowitz, did Sen Graham exaggerate anything? Is there anything he said you take issue with?

I agree about his performance in the Kavanaugh case, that wasn't how he acted with the IG. His inner lawyer came out because the facts were on his side. You're a lawyer, whats that saying about how to argue when you do or dont have the facts on your side. He stumbled a few times trying to read transcripts, lost his train of thought a little, but he shredded RussiaGate and the upper echelon of the FBI, Comey, McCabe, Strozk, and the guy who I think has a criminal referral coming for destroying exculpatory evidence of Page's innocence.

So you didn't watch it. He didn't have to present any facts, the IG did that. His opening statement methodically set the stage so we could see what happened, the Democrats did nothing but keep repeating how the IG didn't find evidence of Priestap's bias. Other than paying lip service to how we gotta reform the FISA system they mostly ignored Page and how he became the conduit for spying on Trump.

There was nothing new in it and re framing and putting things together is obviously only good for bases at this point in history. Democrats have been doing this for months and you still ignore your Criminal in Chief.

It was nice that Democrats could remain civil when the Republicans put on a dog and pony show as a contrast to watching the Republicans in the House act.

Still at which trials?

If Trump refused to give Ukraine any "help", he would be "blackmailing them". Or "acting as a russian agent".

If Trump approved help topUkraine he would be "bribing them".

Either way, evil Trump, must destroy. And of course if he tried to mount any defense against such accusations he would be "obstructing".

This is not serious politics. This is circus for the partisans. There will be a price to pay for this and you will not like it. We're probably seeing the results of despising people and giving them circus, in Britain now. Take note.

I'm not despising anyone in Britain. Most people I despise are in the US, one in Australia, and one in Portugal. I think one in Finland but he hasn't been around much.

Biden and Bernie are roughly where they started, for all their ups and downs. Buttigeg and Warren are the most clear winners so far, rising around 3-6 points. But you have a rabble of 1-percenters who keep holding a niche.... I sincerely cannot fathom why these people stay in the race and doing what the Republicans did in 2016. If I kept polling at 1-2 percent for months on end, I would quit and give my support to the nearest-aligned candidate.

I saw on FB there's a Yang gang meetup in my town tomorrow. I'm gonna check it out. I've never actually been to anything political in my life except one meetup for the Pinellas Young* Democrats which I found kind of boring (it was a meeting tho not a meetup so I'm not sure why I expected differently)

*I was under 40 at the time

Biden and Bernie are roughly where they started, for all their ups and downs. Buttigeg and Warren are the most clear winners so far, rising around 3-6 points. But you have a rabble of 1-percenters who keep holding a niche.... I sincerely cannot fathom why these people stay in the race and doing what the Republicans did in 2016. If I kept polling at 1-2 percent for months on end, I would quit and give my support to the nearest-aligned candidate.

Until the actual primaries start there is no real reason to bail out. Someone polling at 1% is most likely just lacking name recognition and doesn't have any real antipathy among the electorate. An explosive performance in an early primary, in a small state that can be campaigned on a shoestring budget, can bring money and name recognition pouring down. I'd expect any 1% types who don't make a significant splash in Iowa or NH to bail, but unless they go broke they should hang in until then.

Any more Dems manage to convince their constituents that they need to go this cycle?

I think it is hilarious how Trumpists are convinced that districts that went for Trump in 2016 then flipped blue in 2018 are going to widely flip back. The reason those districts flipped blue to begin with is that they hate how Trump has turned out. My district was red for decades and only the horrific stench of Trump gave the Dems any shot at all, which they took, and D'ump is stinking just as bad or worse now as he was in 2018.

Or we go with the more historical trend of voters hating shampeachments. Republicans got theirs in 2000. Now it is the Democrats' turn.

LOL...sure man...commission of glaringly obvious crimes is the same kind of "shampeachment" fodder as having sex. Keep on believing man, keep on believing.

If you're the sort of person who's convinced that Trump's done nothing wrong, you were likely never going to vote Democrat anyway.

If you're the sort of person who's convinced that Trump's done nothing wrong, you were likely never going to vote Democrat anyway.

If you are the sort of person who is convinced Trump has done nothing wrong you are gonna have a hard time making it to the polls, since apparently your eyes have been sewn shut and your ears have been stoppered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom