2020 US Election (Part One)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dunno man. The baby boomers went from peace love and understanding and protesting the Viet Nam debacle to being the "me generation" of wealth flaunters pretty handily. It is possible that current liberals could be sold on a world war for economic gain, if it were packaged properly.

They wouldn't be liberals at that point though, left wing authoritarian sure. They would have to go to war, cull the world's population (5 billion dead,) and then exclude 75% of the remaining population from the world's economy and reduce women's participation in the workforce to 10% or so.

It's basically va dystopian sci fi scenario at that point.

Impose liberialism by force world wide and kill anyone who disagrees. China, India, Islamic world is around 4 billion most if them would have to go. It's a funny dystopian type story I suppose.

I was liberal till the war ended. It's been almost 50 years since and I'm slowly working my way back.

Yeah, fortunately my draft number was high enough that last year to avoid being drafted. It was closer than I would have liked.
That's one thing the younger generation can be thankful for. Never having to sweat out a lottery over whether you will be drafted to go to war. Volunteering is different.

Yeah, fortunately my draft number was high enough that last year to avoid being drafted. It was closer than I would have liked.
That's one thing the younger generation can be thankful for. Never having to sweat out a lottery over whether you will be drafted to go to war. Volunteering is different.

You guys had lottery, grandparents didn't get a choice or chance. Great grandad coped gas in France.

It was based on birthday. Your birthday got a number and they started drafting at number 1 and kept going till they had everyone they needed. There was no choice involved. That was considered the most important day of the year and we watched it praying.

"best it's ever been"... for who?

Working class.

That was world wide in Western type nation's. I'm sure someone's gonna bring up civil rights.

Most nation's didn't have that because it wasn't needed.

Say 1945-73 or so was the best it got in terms of wealth %, high wages etc.

Reagan in 1980 was just the face of the process that started earlier.

My brother got a high number

Working class.
Yes, of course... also referred to as the "hardworking-blue-collar" folks, yep, got it.
I'm sure someone's gonna bring up civil rights.
"someone"... yes indeed, "someone" will... and if you find the issue of silly Civil Rights inconvenient to your narrative... frankly I dont give a horsehocky. Institutional racism imposed on black people during the time period you are describing as "the best it's ever been" most certainly undermines your claims. My Dad, may he rest in peace lived during to 40s and I can assure you that he and his family never had it worse than during that time.

My older brother the year before drew 50 or so and when they got up to 45 he changed his draft board to down at school. As soon as the paperwork got there he switched it back. By the time it got back they had stop drafting for the year. They got up to like 60 something. It was a great legal dodge.

Yes, of course... also referred to as the "hardworking-blue-collar" folks, yep, got it. "someone"... yes indeed, "someone" will... and if you find the issue of silly Civil Rights inconvenient to your narrative... frankly I dont give a ****. Institutional racism imposed on black people during the time period you are describing as "the best it's ever been" most certainly undermines your claims. My Dad, may he rest in peace lived during to 40s and I can assure you that he and his family never had it worse than during that time.

I was talking about overall economic progress for the western world not the USA specifically.

Wasn't claiming it was perfect either but in those years was roughly the best it was in terms of a living wage, close to full employment, being able to buy a house etc.

I also said that liberals wouldn't be willing to return to those times as you can't really cherry pick the good and ignore the bad IMHO.
For example you could drop out of school at 15 and walk into a job paying the equivalent of $20 or $30 an hour and a house was 1-3 years income.

Wasn't easy raising multiple kids on a single wage but you could do it. Houses were also more basic and 2-3 kids might have to share a room.

Someone called me rich before lol.

Our house not exactly a mansion but it's more or less freehold. Needs work.

First house, better than what we grew up in built in 1930s iirc.
IMG_20191212_135910.jpg

Bought with jobs without tertiary education requirements, mortgage paid off in 9 years.

Started work age 13, yes I still have things dating from 1992. See previous posts about how we bought it. In our 20s it was savve save save, work anywhere no welfare. Mc Donald's check, wife was Subway, no holidays no car, save save save. Kicked out of high school aged 16.

But next month no rent/mortage, rates are around $30 a week. No marble benchtop.

"malarkey"
I hate his use of that word too

51 is only enough for judicial appointees, not passing legislation.
Not true. Reconciliation is still a thing for most laws that have to deal with the budget which allows 51-vote senate elections so long as you can manipulate the statistics to show the law is budget neutral. The tax cut was passed this way, which should tell you how loose the rules are.

There's also nothing to stop the Democrats from revoking the 60-vote rule and/or the filibuster entirely if they take power.

Last edited:
I think Trump won re-election today, I just watched Lindsey Graham's opening statement for the IG report hearing...it was devastating

LOL...you would have rated it "devastating" if he had drooled for ten minutes and fallen out of his chair, so I think a second opinion is probably called for.

Trump isn't capable of making any devastating statements, like literally not capable, this is not a partisan issue. Unless you count devastatingly stupid.

LOL...you would have rated it "devastating" if he had drooled for ten minutes and fallen out of his chair, so I think a second opinion is probably called for.

watch it yourself

Trump isn't capable of making any devastating statements, like literally not capable, this is not a partisan issue. Unless you count devastatingly stupid.

Not Trump, Lindsey Graham

I'll take this to the proper thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom