5 city conquest challenge

Pre-turn - 2590bc? That's actually one turn less you played Hajime :) One more for me.

Move the settler to the eastern spot, if we don't grab that site right away, our neighbours might steal it. Science 100% again -> IW in 9t.

Will build another settler with help of a chop.

2550bc - Sumeria starts Colossus.

2510bc - Our warrior get booted out of Sumeria and we meet England. They are up Alphabet, The Wheel and CB. Sumeria got Masonry and Alphabet.

2470bc - Nothing.

2430bc - We meet Spain, they're up Alphabet and CB.

Leipzig founded -> worker.

2390bc - We meet Russia, they're up Masonry and CB.

The other 3 civs shared their knowledge with each other.

Worker chopped forest and there's a BG.

2350bc - Luxtax 10% ans science 70%, IW in 2 turns.

2310bc - Sumeria starts Pyramids.

2270bc - We learn IW, I trade it immediately to England for Alphabet, Wheel and 20g.
IW to spain for Masonry and 20g.

I don't need CB now, so no more trades.

Writing at max.

Berlin settler -> barracks. Send settler N to iron. There's a horse SE of Leipzig, but it won't be inside any expanded borders.

2230bc - Nothing.

2190bc - Ditto.

2150bc - Settler in place to found next turn.

To my eye, I just don't see the benefits of the blue-white dot offhand. Someone care to explain?

Hajime, when the jungles are cleared and we are in a different government, that site and even more so the N site will be powerhouses. Think future.

Opac, forget the sneakpeak and play on.
grs is a very honest customer (and so am I) and loves challenges. Don't feel down if he seem harsh, he just tries to be bossy :)

And no worries about you having to be skipped. I had to leave every SG I played in for over a week, very unexpectedly, because of a freak-storm that caused severe damage to the neighbourhood. And noone compained, not one word of negativity.

That's the spirit in most games here, mate. So when you go, we miss you and you miss a turnset. That's all really :)

opacs up then. im not sure where is best to put our 4th city, maybe south of the 2nd grapes and then disband after a while? theres nowhere along the E coast thatll avoid overlaps... and with only 5 cities overlaps i assume are pretty bad?

My last dot will have 1 tile overlap with Berlin and 2 tiles with Leipzig.

Remember we will get Lit fairly soon and cheap libraies, so borders will expand very nicely and we will have more to work with.

Well, that is IF we are going for Lit?

Might be a good point to see what the team wants :)

I have to say, with only 5 (4) cities, a gamble on the Republic slingshot can miss out.
The problem I see here, is that we don't have a good city to build any wonders (there you go Hajime :)) IF we want to build any wonder, we have to start someplace now.

My thought after playing was to concentrate on military and whack someone, we will have 2 towns with a bunch of chops available (if you chose the last dot) which can turn into barracks and spears or archers.

Last city could be the horses :banana:

Just my thoughts.

interturn: nothing to do

2110 BC turn 1: Settle the Settler on spot, Hamburg is founded there, MM the citizen from BG to Fish as it shaves off 3 turns of Writing and allows us to build a worker

2070 BC turn 2: English start the Colossus, August the Strong finds some Jungle, Sumerians grabbed the horse spot :(

2030 BC turn 3: Leipzig worker-> warrior as I feel that we need to get our cities growing and this one is on river too.

1990 BC turn 4: Herman the German spots another Iron source north of us in the area that will be unhabited by any civ for long so that is one less iron for our enemies :) Worker stats chopping another forest near Berlin aimed for the settler which is to be built after the barracks.

1950 BC turn 5: Exploring

1910 BC turn 6: More of the same

1870 BC Turn 7: Ack, Sumeria demands Iron working, there's not much else for us to do than to cave :(
Berlin barracks -> Settler, August the Strong spots a border in the jungle, will have contact next turn.

1830 BC Turn 8: The chop reveals plains, Oh its not a new contact either, just the Sumerians :(

1790 BC Turn 9: MM berlin so that growth comes at same time with the settler, must raise lux slider to prevent Berlin from rioting next turn, now i wish that i had built a warrior after the barracks, oh well

1750 Turn 10: Exploring

They didnt get any new visible techs during my turns, Mysticism might be out there as we cant see it. It is quite odd that all the four AI's we know have exactly 0 gold for now

The Save

EDIT: Nice to find someone who can speak Finnish :) thought its Hakkaa päälle if we want to be exact

preturn (1750) hamburg worker -> warrior.
1725 - meet spain, they're up CB, leipzig worker to road to berlin
1700 - not much
1675 - leipzig -> spearman
1650 - berlin settler -> spear settler to last site on w coast
1625 - herman to berlin, worker starts roading hamburg bg
1600 - trade CB for alhpabet with russia, everyones up mysticism still. hamburg warrior ->spear, leipzig -> temple
1575 - konigsburg founded, to curragh. august carries on north. lux to 0%, writing in 2
1550 - herman will search sw. can only break even with writing.
1525 - get writing, phil in 14 turns. writing for mysticism and mathematics w/ england (they've got iron and were sumeria were polite whereas england were cautious.) sumeria up polytheism. sci 100%
built embassy with sumeria, pyramids in 27. 7spt but no improvements...
1500 - berlin spear -> collosus possible prebuild for phil slingshot? leave that to the next player?
russia seem to be the weakest civ, but they are miles away, and have iron :S.

first ever sg turn set... w000000000t. any consructive critism will be a) grudged but b) privately taken into account, and deamed (sp) useful :p

I suppose it means that yes, its a form commonly used AFAIK. My idea of another worker from there might not have been that good actually, but I think that we will need quite lot of workers in this game and we need to be able to get them one way or another.

Hajime said:
Only comment is "hamburg worker -> warrior"? Do you mean you changed a worker to a warrior? ;)

when i used that (i did so throughout) i meant, hamburg finished worker, start building warriow" and berlin -> spear etc. meant "changed whatever berlin was building to spearman... dunno if its official but its fast

Wow, that went fast:

Please do not build temples yet. We can get libraries for more culture at a cheaper price as we are scientific. We could use the temple in Leipzig as a library pre-build though. I would not build any spears. We will have swords if we want, so build warriors please - we could switch Hamburg just in time. Berlin should work the irrigated wine every turn unless it only needs 2 food to grow next turn.

collosus possible prebuild for phil slingshot
I don't understand that. I just can guess you mixed some things here. So I take a guess you think of "The Republic Slingshot". This is researching (alphabet,) writing, CoL, and then philosophy and taking Republic for free. We are to late to do that and it would not have been the strategy of choice here anyways. If there is a "phil slingshot", this is a phrase I don't know, but I would be happy if you explain.

We will not build any AA wonders in a 5cc. Berlin could do a curragh in 5 (it is on the better side of our continent imho) and Konigsberg should give us one more worker. Berlin could then build our last settler for some time. I guess gozpel will want our 5th city immediately. We miss some intel on where to put it, so wake the warrior in Hamburg (it will be replaces if you do the above and explore the coastline to the nw.

On research: I agree with philosophy, but it was risky since we sold writing around. Keep it at max and we may still have a chance and take Lit for free. The less risky way would be to switch to lit now.

That's what I would do.

Game looks good though.

I just wanted to have some more information than mere start screenshot, so that i could spend a thought or two to the game as, I assumed that it'll progress 1-2 turns during the time i sleep and so it did too.
I can perfectly understand that, but although gozpel called my bossy on that, you will earn much more harsh reaction in other games for that. It is no real problem though, but just don't peek by moving units beforehand in the future.

I don't understand that. I just can guess you mixed some things here. So I take a guess you think of "The Republic Slingshot". This is researching (alphabet,) writing, CoL, and then philosophy and taking Republic for free. We are to late to do that and it would not have been the strategy of choice here anyways. If there is a "phil slingshot", this is a phrase I don't know, but I would be happy if you explain.

If it was me, I was referencing building GLib once we got Lit after slingshotting from Phil.

On research: I agree with philosophy, but it was risky since we sold writing around. Keep it at max and we may still have a chance and take Lit for free. The less risky way would be to switch to lit now.

Oh dear. I don't think it was I that sold writing around....That's never a good idea if you plan on using a Phil slingshot...

That is quite important to hold on to Writing for a few turns before you trade it around, but with full research we should be able to get Philo anyways.

So what tech do we want if we get it?

A fifth city now would be nice, but I can't see any good spots for it. I will look at the save later.

@Ankka - Go away, you know my spelling in your funny language never was my strongest point :)

gozpel: Literature hands down for me, if we can't get Monarchy. Or CoL.

(edit)
Now that I look closer, Literature is hands down the preferred choice if we can't get a gov.

CoL is good and all, but Literature is better in this situation. Libraries own you ALL :p.

(No Glib attempt this game, I take it?)

by phil slingshot, i just mean getting a free tech with philosophy... sorry bout selling writing :S, i dunno i assumed 2 useful techs would make up for it. (obviuosly i DO have a lot to learn as people say they always do when starting sg)

and about the temples... i find this kinda confusing, i understand your reasoning, but whereas libraries give us research when we wont be doing huge amounts of researhc (mainly trading?) temples come sooner and give happy faces... the difference in price is not huge and especially in the case of liepzig i was just going fo earliest possible culture.

temple = 2 culture, 60 shields, 1 content (not happy face) - that would mean we would either need a temple in every city of given size (lets say size 5 for example) or we would need lux tax anyways. Or we would only build a temple in a city that we let grow sufficiently bigger than all others; e.g. a wonder city. I don't see such a city anytime soon in our empire and especially not where the temple has been started.

library = 3 culture, 40 shields (excuse me, but we are the Germans, the builder civ of your dreams, so you get a library and a barracks at the price of a temple!), speeds research in that city (no matter if all cities have one or not) and we will research in this game.

So you can chose between building 5 temples for 1 content face in each city, or building 5 libraries and 5 barracks for +50% research. Let's say we make 30gpt and put 70% in research, that makes 21 beakers per turn, with libraries +10 (not exact, because all cities are calculates seperately, but you get my meaning). That's 10gpt more research, that will make up for the measely 3-5 gpt we put into lux tax.

I fear that is not understandable or even worse, contains the wrong numbers. To follow klariusism we would need a hard number cruncher here that would beat the (oh I am not allowed to say that word here, so I say beat the fluffy bunny) out of my reasoning again, but I guess gozpel won't be that man. In my world you should just follow the content of what I said, not the numbers and maybe you agree I am correct here.

P.S.: I will tell you more about klariusism later if I feel like, so don't ask :p
P.P.S.: so gozpel, that's what you get, when I start to write more, you still want it :confused:

Top Bottom