A New Dawn Bug Reports and Feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.
First of all this is an excellent but I was using the MAD Nukes option and it would not show the options menu when I pressed the button after selecting the civic or by pressing Alt-N. Is there something that has to be done prior besides the civic in order to use the component?

First of all this is an excellent but I was using the MAD Nukes option and it would not show the options menu when I pressed the button after selecting the civic or by pressing Alt-N. Is there something that has to be done prior besides the civic in order to use the component?

Nope. Just gave myself Advanced Rocketry and switched to MAD and I got the rocket icon and could open the menu.

Turn on python error logging (plenty of guides on how already) and try again, and upload your logs if it still fails.

Some balancing feedback:

Monarchy civic is too strong: on large maps and long times, the +1 happy per military unit can be abused. Even on immortal i keep all cities quiet by troops. I would inrtoduce a max number like maximum of +3 happy by miltary force.

Free church is still to strong: why do I get a +20% building bonus for factories if the church is free? Makes no sense to me, especially in late game.

I like the trading resources for techs, nbut the contract time is too short. On marathon speed I can cancel the deal after 10 turns. This is too cheap for a tech. If it would be something like 25 turns, would make it more balanced.

JosEPh_II,

thats good news! you didnt have oos at all?

id love to know how far in the game youve reached, caue i wanna play and on mp and im affraid of those red oos messages....

My son and I made it to 3065BC before I had to call it a night. And we had zero oos.

Remember this was a Lan Multiplayer. I have 4 computers hooked up in the house thru a router. Son's computer uses Vista and I use Win XP Pro x64. Once we got the network bugs worked out the game played flawlessly. Vista has too many security features and sometimes has trouble seeing a XP OS over a network using MSHome as the workgroup. But my oldest son was a computer repairman at one time and ironed out the problem of "seeing each other" in a short time.

JosEPh

I found out where my saves were going, and I'll post one soon, I just wanted to check a normal, RoM, and RaND game through to see if I can pinpoint what's giving me the errors.

I noticed some wird behaviour:
Even I have gold in the diplomacy screen, I do not have it in the city screen. Attached screenshots and my save.

Attachments

• gold1.jpg
    gold1.jpg
    322.5 KB · Views: 103
  • gold2.jpg
    gold2.jpg
    313.9 KB · Views: 67
  • nativecat.CivBeyondSwordSave
    1 MB · Views: 80
I noticed some wird behaviour:
Even I have gold in the diplomacy screen, I do not have it in the city screen. Attached screenshots and my save.

Likely because you are using Coinage. Read the civic description.

Actually I am using Guilds, please look at this screenshot: There are 2 silver mines, wile it says cat is having 1 and exporting one. This time I can see the silver in my Cityscreen...

Edit, sorry, I just realized that this behaviour is correct.. Still I do not have Gold in the city screen and I can not build a jewelry.

Attachments

• silver1.jpg
    silver1.jpg
    399.1 KB · Views: 60
A few additional bugs (in addition to earlier ones I posted regarding maintenance and slavery) I noticed during current game (beta 5)

1) I think AI trading of money/techs for per turn resources needs to be fixed. First, they offer ludicrous amounts of money/techs for only 10 turns of a resource. Also, when it is the computer trading away the per turn resource, it never actually cancels it after 10 turns (like the human player will). I have an AI giving my gold per turn so far FOREVER even though he could have cancelled long ago (he is getting absolutely nothing in return)

2) Is fixed borders actually working? I was near a neighbor and we both had monarchy with fixed borders, but my culture spread over his border and ended up flipping a tile.

3) This is a minor bug but thought it was interesting. When you have a cottage that you aren't working, forest and jungle can actually overgrow it, which then allows the tile to have both a cottage and forest/jungle. Then when you start working the tile you get both the cottage/hamlet/etc benefit plus the extra hammer for the forest...

1. I noticed Fisherman's Hut got a +1 per worked tile bonus. This can make the building way too powerful for a city with a lot of worked water tiles -- the Lighthouse is already providing this benefit.

The other observation about this building is that it gives food resource benefits from empire wide resources though it is a building unlocked by local vicinity requirements. My suggestion would be to just remove +1 per tile benefit and have this building give a nice flat bonus of +2 or +3 if it can be built due to a local resource.

2. Fish Traps seems like a redundant building, and it also was at some point in the past conceived as a river building as well as a Coastal building. For a tiny early game food boost, why not remove the vicinity requirements and have this building give +1 food to cities that meet the coastal / river requirement. This would distinguish it from the Fisherman's Hut, and the building becomes obsolete eventually anyhow (Biology?).

3. Grocer is still being replaced by Supermarket. The Grocer is a building that gives a financial benefit and has many resource bonuses while the Supermarket gives a tiny food benefit. Right now it doesn't make sense to upgrade. Either the Supermarket should be an attractive upgrade, or it shouldn't replace the Grocer since it has different benefits.

A few additional bugs (in addition to earlier ones I posted regarding maintenance and slavery) I noticed during current game (beta 5)

1) I think AI trading of money/techs for per turn resources needs to be fixed. First, they offer ludicrous amounts of money/techs for only 10 turns of a resource. Also, when it is the computer trading away the per turn resource, it never actually cancels it after 10 turns (like the human player will). I have an AI giving my gold per turn so far FOREVER even though he could have cancelled long ago (he is getting absolutely nothing in return)

2) Is fixed borders actually working? I was near a neighbor and we both had monarchy with fixed borders, but my culture spread over his border and ended up flipping a tile.

3) This is a minor bug but thought it was interesting. When you have a cottage that you aren't working, forest and jungle can actually overgrow it, which then allows the tile to have both a cottage and forest/jungle. Then when you start working the tile you get both the cottage/hamlet/etc benefit plus the extra hammer for the forest...

1.) Fixing it would be simple, if you could give me a save on a turn where offering a resource made the AI offer insane things.

2.) Really? Upload a save from a few turns before.

3.) Hmm. Should not be happening.

1. I noticed Fisherman's Hut got a +1 per worked tile bonus. This can make the building way too powerful for a city with a lot of worked water tiles -- the Lighthouse is already providing this benefit.

The other observation about this building is that it gives food resource benefits from empire wide resources though it is a building unlocked by local vicinity requirements. My suggestion would be to just remove +1 per tile benefit and have this building give a nice flat bonus of +2 or +3 if it can be built due to a local resource.

2. Fish Traps seems like a redundant building, and it also was at some point in the past conceived as a river building as well as a Coastal building. For a tiny early game food boost, why not remove the vicinity requirements and have this building give +1 food to cities that meet the coastal / river requirement. This would distinguish it from the Fisherman's Hut, and the building becomes obsolete eventually anyhow (Biology?).

3. Grocer is still being replaced by Supermarket. The Grocer is a building that gives a financial benefit and has many resource bonuses while the Supermarket gives a tiny food benefit. Right now it doesn't make sense to upgrade. Either the Supermarket should be an attractive upgrade, or it shouldn't replace the Grocer since it has different benefits.

1.) Nice catch! Will do.

2.) This is an optional building - you can turn it off by disabling Early Buildings. Not sure what/how to change it.

3.) Okay, I fill fix this.

noticed that too...its no fun - i changed a bit the max gold tags n the leader xml. didnt check it yet, i hoped tat will help a little.

1.) Nice catch! Will do.

2.) This is an optional building - you can turn it off by disabling Early Buildings. Not sure what/how to change it.

re: Fish Traps

I think it is a good early building if it just gives a simple +1 food yield bonus for coastal or river cities with no resource bonus requirement. Some early cities without food resources suffer a bit, especially coastal ones before they can build the lighthouse. This would make it a unique and fitting ancient era building with minimal impact later in the game before it becomes obsolete.

It really isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but we start so many games we notice these early buildings.

On another note,

1. Why do Graveyards now give a research bonus? Seems odd.

2. In my last game, I noticed the Artist's Guild seemed too powerful with a 50% bonus to culture. Usually I'm pretty happy if I can get 3-5 culture out of a building, and it was giving 15-25 culture to my large late game cities.

2. In my last game, I noticed the Artist's Guild seemed too powerful with a 50% bonus to culture. Usually I'm pretty happy if I can get 3-5 culture out of a building, and it was giving 15-25 culture to my large late game cities.

Lined up next to the extra hammers from the blacksmitchs guilds, or gold from the merch guilds, it's fairly balanced.

Think medical research. Either when preparing the bodies for burial or grave snatching to sell the corpses to medical students for anatomy classes.

It is still a big stretch. You don't need the Graveyard for this, you need the medical research building. To me this is just another example of how a building gets over-engineered with too many disparate benefits. Graveyards made a lot of sense with a health and happiness benefit; no more dumping bodies in the Ganges + visiting graves to pay respects made people feel good.

Lined up next to the extra hammers from the blacksmitchs guilds, or gold from the merch guilds, it's fairly balanced.

Oh, that may be. I actually had Guilds turned off in that game, but the Artist's guild was still buildable.

I think culture is a little out of control in general late game because even when a building is obsolete, it still gives its culture bonus, unlike some of the hammer / gold buildings which eventually get replaced.

Seems that when I build a railroad on a Mine tile I don't get the extra Hammer. Is there another prerequisite? Same for Workshop.

I also noticed that sometimes I would get the extra hammer on a mine when I went from road to paved, but not always. Is this due to Mine shaft requirements?

I finally got the tech that adds 1 gold to Jungle camp. Unfortunately I'm the only empire left that even has a Jungle Camp. The AI seems to disregard the JC. Only very early when the 2 food is useful will an AI build one. But if a farm or cottage can be made on that Jungle tile the camp is Not the AI's choice. They all seem quite happy to chop all jungle down to get the hammers from chopping. Seems Vincentz original idea of JC getting a Hammer boost with road improvements has been discarded. And without a hammer available the AI won't build it. Which also reminded me that a JC on a hill has a hammer removed (- :hammer: ). This further negates the AI's choice of using JC. And actually discourages the player too. So the JC is a 3rd class citizen in the tile improvement nation. :p

JosEPh

Jungle camps are kind of an early game improvement to make a jungle city viable that eventually get replaced. A big problem is how jungles contribute to unhealthiness and stops cities from growing too large -- damn mosquitoes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom