1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

A New Dawn Bug Reports and Feedback

Discussion in 'Rise of Mankind: A New Dawn' started by 45°38'N-13°47'E, Dec 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. modifieda4

modifieda4 Chief Time Waster

playing 1.75c, two bugs i noticed
    *the AI doesnt use its treasure?
    *the AI doesnt do inquisition. I searched the python files for familliar AI inquision code and couldn't it. either it doesnt exist or i dont know where to look. I may try to paste my known good AI code in and see if that solves it.

*edit: after double checking the install, i think the C patch didnt install correctly. testing inquisitions now.

2. keldath

keldath LivE LonG AnD PrOsPeR

thanks to koshling a ctd regarding corporations bug was fixed!

thank you koshling,

and im happy i helped a new dawn to find a bug.

3. Gomer_Pyle

Gomer_Pyle Prince

I got a game when I have a few watermills. And they doesnt show properly on the map? Anyone else seen this before?

Also, would it be possible to add an option to not have the current future era? Kind of liked the way original civ4 ended with modern tanks ect. Not plasma tank stuff/walkers. Could this be an option or is everyone totally against this idea?

4. baha

baha Chieftain

I am having the same problem with the watermills. The plot looks empty.

Regarding the Future Era, there should eb an option to disable it!

5. NightKev

NightKev Chieftain

There IS an option to disable the Future Era. It's one of the game options when you're picking the map/etc.

6. Gomer_Pyle

Gomer_Pyle Prince

Are you kidding? Woot. LOL! Nevermind then! :blush:

7. keldath

Gomer_Pyle,

start a game via custom game - no future era is down scroll in the option section.

8. 1stcontact2035

1stcontact2035 Great Scientist

Okay, I haven't gone and playtested the sucker yet, but I'm like 99.999% certain I solved not just crashes on your mod but every crash I'll ever experience on Civ 4 ever again. See the Tech Support thread I posted below.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=428691

I can try looking up the specific links to the various research I did for this, but basically the gist of it is this. I happen to have a RealTek Hi-Def Integrated SoundChip and Windows automatically installs its own version of the driver without using the RealTek version, which RealTek has an updated version current as of a couple of months ago that should solve a whole host of problems caused by using the Windows drivers, especially memory allocation failures bugs caused by bad audio file usage. Which seems to be the main issue with Civ 4.

So, when I did finally start logging (I actually didn't realize that I failed to save the .ini file when I enabled logging the first go around) and noticed that after my first crash there was an audio log, which was where all the maf were. So, going on that note, I wondered if my sound card wasn't up to par, but what I found was that this was more of a bug and how to fix it. Anyway, backstory aside, I don't know if this will work for everyone, but perhaps it will solve some people's problems.

Since I love playing RoM AND, and hated it when the mod was at the point of crashing every few turns, I'm happy I found a fix for this. And I hope this fix works for others as well. I know I have a really common computer and a computer with a lot of common components, so its not a stretch for people to be having the same or similar issues on a large scale - and then on the flip side many, many people to not.

9. 1stcontact2035

I playtested it and it actually runs smoother on a late industrial era Giant Earth Map, every continent has tons of cities except Africa, etc., than I've seen plenty of non-modded standard maps play before. Just saying.

10. os79

os79 Deity

Are you saying that most of MAFs are bad use of Audio memory? If so, that just may explain my luck. I'm Deaf so I turn off all audio functions in my games, and I rarely ever see MAFs in my games. I play with Huge maps, and I can go deep into Modern Eras, even Transhuman once.

So are you saying that audio memory is a major player in MAF, right?

11. Stormwind

Stormwind King

Regarding Sound. Lately I've wondering is it possible to turn off the effect that when multiple actions of the same kind take place the volume gets "louder" ? Like when promoting a larger stack with the same kind of promotion.

12. 1stcontact2035

Yep. Probably not 100% of the cases but probably close enough that this would fix it most of the time. I also recall doing a hotfix a few years ago where I just disabled the audio effects myself and wound up not having anymore crashes, and this was on a machine running something like 1/4 - 1/3 the recommended memory and I was still able to play on large maps to completion, albeit unmodded.

From what I can tell that goes away when you do this fix. I noticed the quality of the sound was phenomenal once I installed the actual company drivers versus the Windows ones. To say it was the difference between hi-def and normal isn't doing it credit. It was just beyond amazing the difference.

13. BrianL03

BrianL03 Chieftain

When installing (as an administrator) the Beta error over 1.75C, I'm getting the following error:

I have the Steam copy of the game, so this is installing to the steamapps/.../mods folder. Installation has worked in the past (also with Beta4).

I was getting a similar error but AND still launched to the correct installation. However now after running the Beta5 installer and trying to launch AND, I am stuck running 1.75C.

Additionally I get these errors with the 1.75C:
    A similar error appears when loading new games.

14. Afforess

Afforess The White Wizard

Have you tried redownloading, to make sure it wasn't corrupt?

15. Afforess

Afforess The White Wizard

From audio modding I've done in other games, audio is loaded into memory, regardless of whether it is ever played, so if you're not having MAF's, your okay.

16. BrianL03

BrianL03 Chieftain

Just tried it now and got the same error, unfortunately. I'm running Windows 7 if that helps any?

17. Gomer_Pyle

Gomer_Pyle Prince

I am still playing beta 4 (got a mp game going on). But I have noticed something today as I got destroyed while not paying attention. Trying to learn to play the game correctly. hehe

Well. I got killed early before i even produced a defender in my city. :'(

Then I got the option to select a new nation or none at all. I selected none and ok button. But nothing happens. I keep clicking and selecting a nation to try that. Nothing happens. Maybe 30 sec. after that I got spawned as Greece on the north pole (only ice) with 8 settlers and nothing else???? I have experienced this before in beta 3 i think it was.

18. keldath

Gomer_Pyle,
    you didnt have any oos on mp game?

that option after you get killed, isnt working for mp, i know that from previous reports once a playrer is dead the game may have out of sync errors.

19. 1stcontact2035

Yeah, embarrassed as I am about this, a day later another crash. Right now I stupidly realized I never tried any of the fixes you mentioned like static leaderheads or getting rid of unique unit art... however, that said, unloaded modules folder is NOWHERE. As in, its not there.

Is there a separate unloaded modules download, or did I get one of those "we'll give you a 400 mb version of the 425 mb file" downloads?

Guess I need to take down my miracle cure on the tech support page. Never ask a scientist to do a programmers work :sad: I'm ok at programming, much better at solving problems than chugging through lines of code, and easily obsessed by solving any given problem or issue that besets me, even to the point of creating a problem out of thin air when there's a real simple fix. However, I will say that computers make me :mad: sometimes.

20. os79

os79 Deity

Curious. If you, Afforess, were given whole code for Civ4 and BtS, including code for exe itself...
    Will you be able to eliminate MAFs to high degree given enough alone time and dedication?
    Or is MAF inevitable in Civ4 engine, period?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.