A New Dawn Bug Reports and Feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair, both of them should have been spoilered, but all in the name of progress, eh? :)

I downloaded the whole tarball from sourceforge instead of using tortoiseSVN to update my local copy and the installer took the usual ammount of time to compile and installed without any problems. I can tell it's rev 94 by the ark of covenant wonder. GCs are still broken after a save/load :(

I should mention this now. You will need to get a compiler (Visual Studio 200x) running that can compile a dll for Civ, I have limited bandwidth at my location, and can not upload a new 6mb dll for each revision. The source code uploaded has fixed the GC bugs, but the dll is frequently out of date. I recommend you check out the modiki, and head to it's page on the SDK. It has tutorials on setting up a compiler for Civ; and once you get it working, everything is a snap.

Some caveats:
This was orignally envisioned before the mountaineering mod came into existance, so for now I am assuming
that mountians are considered as non-walkable tile. Chokepoints as determined thus therefore viable
for anyone not using the mountaineering mod. Even with the mountaineering mod, they remain viable pre-mountaineering tech
or in regards to cost, or if one wants to modify the mountaineering rules to further restrict what unit types can traverse them.

Even after Mountaineering is research, mountains are still decent chokepoints, just as long as the other team does not have mountaineering. When everyone has it late game; chokepoints are much less valuable anyway, because of the advent of flight.

However, there are some disadvantages to this way of doing it. By calculating beforehand, and not on the fly, you create some obvious, and not so obvious issues. Obviously any changes in terrain or impassibility will cause issues. A player with a fancy for the worldbuilder could cause AI stupidities. However, the not so obvious issues; A player has mountaineering, but the victim player they are fighting does not. This code would tell them to fight in the pass, as the victim would be unable to advance. But strategically, the valley, or chokepoint, while strategically, the best place, is usually the worst place defensively. Moving onto the peaks would give the units invulnerability. The only way to tell which decision to make would be to see if the AI was winning or losing the war, if they were attacking or defending; however there is no good way to check this, and the AI might be losing on one continent, but winning on this one. Such is the state of Civ4 AI...

A further problem is that the AI has practically no battlefield tactics. While most of the AI exists in the present, Unit AI is singularly unique in existing in the future. The Units are not particularly preoccupied with the ongoings of the now; and focus on a future destination. There is no existing AI to make them consider fighting in the battlefield; and I'm sure you have noticed the AI rarely does this. 9/10 of times, their stacks follow singular goals of moving to a location; then engaging. Deviating from this would require a even larger rewrite than what you propose.

The good news is that I expect Shafer knows exactly the same thing about chokepoints as you do, and for Civ5, chokepoints will be even more valuable, with the 1 unit limit. I seriously hope they dedicated a programmer to just AI; with Civ4, they didn't, and this is the result...

As for actually programming your pseudo-code, I must admit bitwise operations are a bit over my head; I am just completing my 1st year of programming. I understand some basic ops; but no where near the level you describe.

0100010@ when you have something that long to write(as above), it would be appreciated if you put it inside a spoiler ok, thx.

Who died and made you a CFC admin? :rolleyes:

I believe I reported this before but for some reason the Department of Water is not showing up in game. For some reason it can't be built. Please check it over to see why.

Will do. ;)

Who died and made you a CFC admin? :rolleyes:

You didnt hear about it, WOW, you must be the last to know then:deal: Of course that could be the stuff i am hearing in my mind:lol:

All i can say is Etiquette:p

As I said I original designed it out before the mountaineering mod existed, so it reflect that. Of course it cant account for all situations, you can't design for everything. Trade off for doing ahead of time is not spending time each turn later to do it on the fly. If a player is popping open world builder to change terrain they are pretty much changing the game anyway. A compromise could be to trigger a recalc after a world builder exit and/or a game load.

(As an aside a hex map is a lot easier to ID chokepoints on than a square grid that allows diagonal moves)

--And settle down SO, I merely forgot spoiler tags cause I pasted it from notepad, it wasn't intentional.

I'm not sure if this is a civ 4 glitch, or a ROM glitch, but this is the first time it has ever happened.

There is a 2 tile wide space of undiscovered land that I can not discover. If I walk units next to it, it doesn't show it, and I can walk units into it, but it takes all of their movement points. Even when the units are on the space, it is still black, and I can see the line of sight around the tiles but not the tiles.

can someone explaim me please why I can not continue this game? When I press end turn it the mouse cursor turns in turning globe (like between turns) and keeps turning just like that, nothing happens after that! This game was ok until this turns, but I do not know what happened?
I am playing AND with custom installation. Tell me what other information do you need?

P.S. I am not able to finish one single game, everytime a different BUG stops me!! :mad::mad:

Attachments

• Tabriz AD-1744.CivBeyondSwordSave
    675.6 KB · Views: 59
can someone explaim me please why I can not continue this game? When I press end turn it the mouse cursor turns in turning globe (like between turns) and keeps turning just like that, nothing happens after that! This game was ok until this turns, but I do not know what happened?
I am playing AND with custom installation. Tell me what other information do you need?

P.S. I am not able to finish one single game, everytime a different BUG stops me!! :mad::mad:

I need your A New Dawn.log, located in your Rise of Mankind folder.

try clicking the minimap

i can not upload this file it says invalid file, i copy paste what it contains

{Required Files} {Military Civics} {Ideology Civics} Meteorology {Realistic Diplomacy} {Seafaring } {War Prizes} {Larger Cities} {Espionage Process} Forestation {Sea Tunnels} Terraforming {Lead From Behind} ANM Formations {Mega Civ Patch} {Better RoM} Withdraw Guilds {Modern Corporations} {Airbase Range} {Civic Diplomacy} {Battlefield Promotions}

Custom

Haven't seen this mentioned before, so I'm reporting it myself:

AND 1.70 - When upgrading Warlord Chief or Warlord Captain to Warlord Privateer or Warlord General, when 'led by noble', I lose the ability to level up. So I have something like 1000+/500 xp on one Warlord General, and have no ability to choose any promotions (I have not cleared all promos on the unit).

An update: Seems to have something to do with having withdrawal at 105%. Seems that there are a multitude of problems when withdrawal goes over 100%. Will be testing that out.

Update 2: I was right. Going into World Editor and removing the Kemetism promotion did the trick.

Ok, having a graphics problem I've never experienced before. It only happens with A New Dawn. Vanilla BTS and RoM work just fine. The bug occurs while waiting for the next turn. Never before or after. Sometimes the whole screen goes blank and the monitor goes to sleep. Sometimes the display driver will also stop working. I've already tried reinstalling RoM and AND. I've got a clean install of ATI's latest 10.3 driver.

My vid card is an ATI HD 4670 with 1 gig GDDR3. Windows 7 64 with 2 gigs RAM. AMD X2 4000+ CPU. Playing on standard maps (though it doesn't matter what size map I play on, I get the bug).

This is my first time playing Civ since I got the ATI card. Previously used NVIDIA without a problem. My new ATI card plays Battlefield 2, Bad Company 2 and Crysis without fail. Temps never go above 40'C.

Oh this is with the full version of RoM 2.9

An update on my attempts to rid myself of this graphics bug. Rolling back the video card driver didn't help. However, I stripped out yet more components of AND, and presto, the bug is gone. Here is what I took out in addition to what's missing in the AND log in my original post:

realistic diplomacy {war prizes} espionage process {event images} civic buildings & more wonders {withdraw} airbase range {transportation} misc buildings

Not sure of which of these influences end of turn rendering (where my bug occurs) but I plan to add these components back in one at a time until I find the culprit.

Got a "Not Responding" issue, in the Renaissance era in the middle of a war.

{Required Files} {Military Civics} {Beautification Project} {Castle Improvements} {Ice Breaker} {Ideology Civics} Meteorology {Realistic Diplomacy} {Seafaring } {Resource Refinement} {War Prizes} Firestorm Arctic {Larger Cities} {Espionage Process} Forestation {Sea Tunnels} Terraforming {Lead From Behind} {Event Images} Education Sports NIMBY {Civic Buildings & More Wonders} {No Storms} {Early Buildings} ANM {Historical Wonders} Formations {Mega Civ Patch} {Better RoM} Domestic Withdraw Farming Guilds {Modern Corporations} {Better RoM Artwork} {Water Mod} {Airbase Range} {Civic Diplomacy} Transportation {Misc Buildings} {Battlefield Promotions} Health

Custom

An update on my attempts to rid myself of this graphics bug. Rolling back the video card driver didn't help. However, I stripped out yet more components of AND, and presto, the bug is gone. Here is what I took out in addition to what's missing in the AND log in my original post:

realistic diplomacy {war prizes} espionage process {event images} civic buildings & more wonders {withdraw} airbase range {transportation} misc buildings

Not sure of which of these influences end of turn rendering (where my bug occurs) but I plan to add these components back in one at a time until I find the culprit.

If you do find out; let me know, and I may be able to figure out why it is causing the issue.

VS 2008 Express fails build with this error:
d:\anewdawnvn\anewdawn\Trunk\Sources\CvGameCoreDLL.h(160) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'boost/python/list.hpp': No such file or directory

Can't seem to find this file anywhere. I got the SDK for Windows Server 2003 R2 and the C++ Toolkit 2003. I couldn't find the same SDK you had in your makefile, but I have read that this one works too.
Do I need to install python stuff too?

VS 2008 Express fails build with this error:
d:\anewdawnvn\anewdawn\Trunk\Sources\CvGameCoreDLL.h(160) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'boost/python/list.hpp': No such file or directory

Can't seem to find this file anywhere. I got the SDK for Windows Server 2003 R2 and the C++ Toolkit 2003. I couldn't find the same SDK you had in your makefile, but I have read that this one works too.
Do I need to install python stuff too?

Copy and paste the Python24 and Boost folders from your CvGameCoreDLL folder in the Beyond the Sword folder into the source code folder.

Copy and paste the Python24 and Boost folders from your CvGameCoreDLL folder in the Beyond the Sword folder into the source code folder.

Thanks for the help. I got rev 96 working and I confirm the GC issue is solved. I noticed that a lot (possibly all) options like field of view and train units forever are reset when you load the game, I'm not sure if this is supposed to happen. I also found a minor typo: on the Ruthless AI mouseover, last line - where it reads "recieve" it should read "receive".

Thanks for the help. I got rev 96 working and I confirm the GC issue is solved. I noticed that a lot (possibly all) options like field of view and train units forever are reset when you load the game, I'm not sure if this is supposed to happen. I also found a minor typo: on the Ruthless AI mouseover, last line - where it reads "recieve" it should read "receive".

Spelling and grammer is for wimps.

(Bonus points to who can find the errors in that sentence)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom