Abortion

This is simply A Modest Proposal about what to do with all these babies that weren't aborted in time.

I've actually invoked A Modest Proposal jokingly in an abortion conversation before. Unfortunately, most people haven't read Swift. :(

Has anyone caught that the baby was birthed backwards? A procedure that would normally harm or kill the mother?

I find that this type of propaganda tends to harden my stance against the thing that is being propagandised.

This story is cheap and lame, and will only affect the gullible dupes and emos.

Quoted for truth.

Dude, what is your deal?

This is like so 1998. If you want a more up-to-date conservative buzz-word of the week, try www.conservapedia.org. They teach how Old Testament hebrews rode dinosaurs. Should be right up your alley.

I've actually invoked A Modest Proposal jokingly in an abortion conversation before. Unfortunately, most people haven't read Swift.

Sick, but hilarious!:lol:

And also very clever. Kudos!:hatsoff:

Appeals to emotion don't impress me.

:confused: I am afraid I dont really understand what point you are attempting to make here.
I am saying why the big fuss about abortions when there are already born people who don't have anyone close to them and thus rot away. Is that lesser to abortion?

I just had a stroke trying to understand that.
See above.

Abortion is murder, if the egg is fertilised it is human. No human life should be killed just because some one might find it annoying.

I don't have the possibility nor purpose to persuade you, but your line does reveil you have NOT understood why some people are "pro-choice".

It's not that one can kill a human life because one finds it annoying. It's not that about the life of the foetus in this matter. It's about the status of the woman's body. It's pregnant and it's owner doesn't want that.

There are most defenitely two sides to the abortion discussion: the right to live and the right of self-determination. You make it sound like the latter does not exist it at all, by focussing on the former.

I've actually invoked A Modest Proposal jokingly in an abortion conversation before. Unfortunately, most people haven't read Swift. :(

:faint: I'm utterly flabbergasted by that! People have NOT read it?

Bill3000 already pointed out the obvious problem here: D&X procedures are already illegal, and the law banning them has been found to be constitutional. Roe v. Wade simple doesn't mean what most people think it means.

countrygrl,

but ultimately the choice is up the woman, and she should be able to decide what is right for her body. the thing about partial birth abortion though, is that i don't think it's ever necessary to save the life of a mother. and this is why it is now illegal.

I agree with your ultimate conclusion, but here's the thing: sometimes D&X procedures are necessary to save the life of the mother. The procedure really is as horrible as the OP suggests, and so no one would ever do that unless it was to save someone's life (or decrease the risk of death). It's not like women were running around getting D&Xs all over the place -- it was extraordinarily rare and only used when there was no other option.

Cleo

El_Machinae used to have a better picture of this than me, but should we ban burning dolls while we're at it? They can also look horrid! Oh no!

I don't have the possibility nor purpose to persuade you, but your line does reveil you have NOT understood why some people are "pro-choice".

It's not that one can kill a human life because one finds it annoying. It's not that about the life of the foetus in this matter. It's about the status of the woman's body. It's pregnant and it's owner doesn't want that.

There are most defenitely two sides to the abortion discussion: the right to live and the right of self-determination. You make it sound like the latter does not exist it at all, by focussing on the former.

First of whos fault is it that the mother is pregnant, the baby or the mother. She put herself there and now she has to cope with her own decisions. I don't think that anyone who got themselves in a situation deserves sympathy. I don't think anyone should feel sorry for me if I jumped from a bridge. Also being pregnant isn't that horrible that you can murder someone to get out of it.

I should add that the Federal Partial-Birth Abortion Ban (as it's called) doesn't actually reduce the number of abortions. All it does is force those women who would have had D&X procedures to undergo more dangerous procedures (proceeding based on the assumption that no one would choose to do a D&X unless it was medically necessary). The Act's sole effect is to increase the risk of health problems for some women.

It's up to you to decide if that's a feature or a bug.

Cleo

I should add that the Federal Partial-Birth Abortion Ban (as it's called) doesn't actually reduce the number of abortions. All it does is force those women who would have had D&X procedures to undergo more dangerous procedures (proceeding based on the assumption that no one would choose to do a D&X unless it was medically necessary). The Act's sole effect is to increase the risk of health problems for some women.

It's up to you to decide if that's a feature or a bug.

Cleo

Murder is illegal but it still happens. This tells me that we need to convict more people.

AL DA GREAT,

So . . . you've decided that it's a bug? I don't understand what your post has to do with the Partial-Birth Abortion Ban.

Cleo

AL DA GREAT,

So . . . you've decided that it's a bug? I don't understand what your post has to do with the Partial-Birth Abortion Ban.

Cleo

People say that the number of abortions don't decrease when they become illegal. This means that we should convict more people for these crimes. That would reduce the number of abortions.

AL DA GREAT,

No, my point was that the law itself is written in such a way as not to reduce the number of abortions. I'm not talking about deterrence or anything.

Cleo

People say that the number of abortions don't decrease when they become illegal. This means that we should convict more people for these crimes. That would reduce the number of abortions.

What exactly would the punishment for the mother having an abortion be? There isn't much legal precedent for it.

Also being pregnant isn't that horrible that you can murder someone to get out of it.
I would never choose those words, but in fact you hit the nail on its head. The point is that some woman actually DO think it is horrible to be pregnant. And neither you nor I can judge how horrible it actually is. Only the pregnant woman can.

Thirteen years of experience and she calls forceps, scissors?

I highly doubt that this article is truthful. Especially if it was circulated over MySpace.

ZOMG BE SURE TO PASS ON THIS ABORTION STORY TO 15 PEOPLE OR YOUR PARENTS WILL DIE TONIGHT BY THE FETUS COMING BACK TO HAUNT THEM!!!11111

I find that this type of propaganda tends to harden my stance against the thing that is being propagandised.

This story is cheap and lame, and will only affect the gullible dupes and emos.

QFT. Not much left to say. :)

It comes from failspace. Therefore I must ignore it, irregardless of the juicy gory detail.

Bill3000 already pointed out the obvious problem here: D&X procedures are already illegal, and the law banning them has been found to be constitutional. Roe v. Wade simple doesn't mean what most people think it means.

countrygrl,

I agree with your ultimate conclusion, but here's the thing: sometimes D&X procedures are necessary to save the life of the mother. The procedure really is as horrible as the OP suggests, and so no one would ever do that unless it was to save someone's life (or decrease the risk of death). It's not like women were running around getting D&Xs all over the place -- it was extraordinarily rare and only used when there was no other option.

Cleo

could you direct me to information supporting this? from what i understand, it was made illegal because it's not necessary. what are the alternative options.

Top Bottom