Altered Maps ': To make a map larger than what it maps.

^ Where's Basque?

And what's Glc? Galician? But that's Celtic isn't it? Well, there are cultural links between the two, I heard. Maybe not close linguistically.

I don't understand why there's a line from Hungarian to the Baltic languages but not from Finnish. Baltic Finnic languages (Proto-Finnic) have been in close contact with the Baltic languages for ages and there's a ton of old loanwords from a couple of millenia ago. I thought the Hungarians didn't have so much contact with the Balts. I could be wrong tho. Time for some googling I guess.

Catalan should be between Spanish and Occitan & French. BTW, where's Occitan?

And what's Glc? Galician? But that's Celtic isn't it? Well, there are cultural links between the two, I heard. Maybe not close linguistically.

Yes, it's Galician and no, it's a Romance language with no special ties to celtic languages.

It's very peculiar. I see it's just lexical distance, but much more than lexical similarity (and then again, by what standards is this measured?) is needed to understand a language.

I am VERY SCEPTICAL about

a) Czech-Polish distance not being quantified at all;
b) Czech-Slovak distance being the same as Slovak-Croatian; I could ask more Slovaks, but I don't think they understand people in Croatia any better than Czechs do;
c) Czech-Sorbian; I can decode Sorbian texts, but it's nowhere NEAR my fluent, unimpeded understanding of Slovak.
d) From what I gather, the Scandinavian languages are similar in writing/lexicon, but the phonology is often so different that they have serious trouble understanding each other.

= Czech and Slovak should be much closer in that diagram; there are lexical differences, but most of the words that are different are derived from something that is understandable to Czechs. Completely weird words in Slovak usually come from Hungarian. (e.g. "cat": Czech->kočka; Slovak-> mačka).

So, one traveller stumbled upon a tribe some milenium and some more to it, and now their languages are related? Man, I'd love to see the Native Americans having their language related to Spanish and English or something.

^Around 2,3 millenia ago, to be exact :D The Periplous happened and was documented at the era of Alexander the Great.
They likely did not leave the ships to land on the Baltic areas, though, cause probably they would be met by cannibals roasting horses and humans ;)

^ Where's Basque?

It isn't indo-european. Neither is finno-ugric, but well.

d) From what I gather, the Scandinavian languages are similar in writing/lexicon, but the phonology is often so different that they have serious trouble understanding each other.

That's mainly a problem with people being to lazy to try and understand each other. There are some differences, but this problem is mostly rooted in attitude.

Also, "Bok" and "NN", these are not spoken languages, particularly evident by "bok", which means "book", making it clearly that it is a written language. Norwegian as it is spoken should be considered one language.

It's also kind of stupid that "Bok" and "NN" combined is bigger than swedish and danish, when the reality is that swedish has about as many speakers as danish and norwegian combined.

That's mainly a problem with people being to lazy to try and understand each other. There are some differences, but this problem is mostly rooted in attitude.

Also, "Bok" and "NN", these are not spoken languages, particularly evident by "bok", which means "book", making it clearly that it is a written language. Norwegian as it is spoken should be considered one language.

It's also kind of stupid that "Bok" and "NN" combined is bigger than swedish and danish, when the reality is that swedish has about as many speakers as danish and norwegian combined.
Bok and NN refer to Bokmal and Nynorsk respectively, which is kind of a big deal in Norway from what I've heard. See here.

Greek and Lithuanian are connected? How?
Both are members of the Indo-European language family. Which also includes Kurdish and Hindustani, funnily enough, but perhaps that was outside the scope of this graphic.

Now I'm wondering how close these all are to Tocharian. But no one cares about obscure dead languages, oh well.

There's been considerable influence on the European Finno-Ugric languages by the Indo-European languages due to proximity, I'm assume that's why they're in there.

"Finno-Ugric"

Bah! I hate that word. Just use Uralic ok? Finno-Ugric leaves out the Samoyed languages which are as much as Uralic languages as any so-called "Finno-Ugric language". There's no real reason to have this division according to 21st century Uralic linguistics research.

"Finno-Ugric"

Bah! I hate that word. Just use Uralic ok? Finno-Ugric leaves out the Samoyed languages which are as much as Uralic languages as any so-called "Finno-Ugric language". There's no real reason to have this division according to 21st century Uralic linguistics research.

You're right. I blame Crusader Kings for making me forget about Uralic.

Top Bottom