1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Altered Maps ': To make a map larger than what it maps.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Kyriakos, Jan 9, 2014.

1. Civ'ed

Civ'ed I ain't gotta explain a thing

The North does look a bit like England and Wales.

2. TheLastOne36

TheLastOne36 Chieftain

3. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

^ Where's Basque?

And what's Glc? Galician? But that's Celtic isn't it? Well, there are cultural links between the two, I heard. Maybe not close linguistically.

4. madviking

madviking north american scum

found it

Spoiler :

5. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

:lol:

Yeah, right. OK.

6. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

Fyromian is a slav language, i see (MA) :) And moreover it forms a Mandelbrot with its central bit of the Bulgarian fractal.

7. CuddlyBear

CuddlyBear Chieftain

I don't understand why there's a line from Hungarian to the Baltic languages but not from Finnish. Baltic Finnic languages (Proto-Finnic) have been in close contact with the Baltic languages for ages and there's a ton of old loanwords from a couple of millenia ago. I thought the Hungarians didn't have so much contact with the Balts. I could be wrong tho. Time for some googling I guess.

8. gangleri2001

gangleri2001 Garbage day!!!

Catalan should be between Spanish and Occitan & French. BTW, where's Occitan?

Yes, it's Galician and no, it's a Romance language with no special ties to celtic languages.

9. Winner

Winner Diverse in Unity

It's very peculiar. I see it's just lexical distance, but much more than lexical similarity (and then again, by what standards is this measured?) is needed to understand a language.

I am VERY SCEPTICAL about

a) Czech-Polish distance not being quantified at all;
    b) Czech-Slovak distance being the same as Slovak-Croatian; I could ask more Slovaks, but I don't think they understand people in Croatia any better than Czechs do;
    c) Czech-Sorbian; I can decode Sorbian texts, but it's nowhere NEAR my fluent, unimpeded understanding of Slovak.
    d) From what I gather, the Scandinavian languages are similar in writing/lexicon, but the phonology is often so different that they have serious trouble understanding each other.

= Czech and Slovak should be much closer in that diagram; there are lexical differences, but most of the words that are different are derived from something that is understandable to Czechs. Completely weird words in Slovak usually come from Hungarian. (e.g. "cat": Czech->kočka; Slovak-> mačka).

10. Tolina

Tolina trust the pillars with your s e c r e t s

Greek and Lithuanian are connected? How?

11. Kyriakos

Through Pytheas of Marseille :mischief:

12. Tolina

Tolina trust the pillars with your s e c r e t s

So, one traveller stumbled upon a tribe some milenium and some more to it, and now their languages are related? Man, I'd love to see the Native Americans having their language related to Spanish and English or something.

13. Kyriakos

^Around 2,3 millenia ago, to be exact :D The Periplous happened and was documented at the era of Alexander the Great.
    They likely did not leave the ships to land on the Baltic areas, though, cause probably they would be met by cannibals roasting horses and humans ;)

14. IIHAAETTEAAHII

IIHAAETTEAAHII Chieftain

do keep in mind that 0-25 is a range encompassing fluctuating values sometimes even differing by an order of magnitude.

15. Lohrenswald

Lohrenswald 老仁

It isn't indo-european. Neither is finno-ugric, but well.

That's mainly a problem with people being to lazy to try and understand each other. There are some differences, but this problem is mostly rooted in attitude.

Also, "Bok" and "NN", these are not spoken languages, particularly evident by "bok", which means "book", making it clearly that it is a written language. Norwegian as it is spoken should be considered one language.

It's also kind of stupid that "Bok" and "NN" combined is bigger than swedish and danish, when the reality is that swedish has about as many speakers as danish and norwegian combined.

16. Civ'ed

Civ'ed I ain't gotta explain a thing

Bok and NN refer to Bokmal and Nynorsk respectively, which is kind of a big deal in Norway from what I've heard. See here.

17. ~Corsair#01~

~Corsair#01~ Chieftain

Both are members of the Indo-European language family. Which also includes Kurdish and Hindustani, funnily enough, but perhaps that was outside the scope of this graphic.

18. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

Now I'm wondering how close these all are to Tocharian. But no one cares about obscure dead languages, oh well.

There's been considerable influence on the European Finno-Ugric languages by the Indo-European languages due to proximity, I'm assume that's why they're in there.

19. CuddlyBear

CuddlyBear Chieftain

"Finno-Ugric"

Bah! I hate that word. Just use Uralic ok? Finno-Ugric leaves out the Samoyed languages which are as much as Uralic languages as any so-called "Finno-Ugric language". There's no real reason to have this division according to 21st century Uralic linguistics research.

20. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

You're right. I blame Crusader Kings for making me forget about Uralic.