Altered Maps XVI: Gerardus Mercator Must Die

Status
Not open for further replies.
You forgot Ukraine invading Russia and taking Crimea from them, Dachs.
If we're including those sorts of shenanigans, Transnistria, South Ossetia, Abkhazia, and the People's Republics of Donetsk and Luhansk also disappeared from the map, but since nobody outside of Russia and its semi-formal empire thinks that those things should even be Things, I didn't.

what group?

I feel personally attacked by that relatable map on Zuccbook? Someone posted it there earlier that day, I assume after making it themselves, so I in turn assumed wim was in the group, though he might have seen it reposted by someone else outside the group now I think on it.

monster-woman on tumblr:
After the communist revolution we need to abolish borders everywhere, except for europe where we draw a bunch of arbitrary straight lines and make them deal with it.
I don't get the joke. Is this implying that Europeans are the only ones that care about borders, and thus as a twist of irony they are made to deal with these new arbitrary borders?

I don't get the joke. Is this implying that Europeans are the only ones that care about borders, and thus as a twist of irony they are made to deal with these new arbitrary borders?
European empires are accused of having carved up various parts of the world between themselves drawing borders on maps in the capitals of Europe without any consideration of the terrain or people living there.

I know there are always the Spanish to blame, but that issue in particular was more about Belgium, Germany, France and UK playing colonies in Africa 100 years ago.

European empires are accused of having carved up various parts of the world between themselves drawing borders on maps in the capitals of Europe without any consideration of the terrain or people living there.
Ah, it's that one. Anyway, the subtext of the joke was the same: Europeans = evil, and that the sins of the father will be visited on the son.

I know there are always the Spanish to blame, but that issue in particular was more about Belgium, Germany, France and UK playing colonies in Africa 100 years ago.
Ah, double the shame for Italy. Forgotten again, as they almost were back then when they were drawing maps with rulers.

Why would anyone expect 19th C Europeans not to divide up any part of the world that they could? Three hundred years of tradition has lots of staying power when it means riches.

Surely no past crimes of any nation could justify cruel and unusual punishment of creating 6 Greeces in Europe?:shifty:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom