Alternate History Thread IV: The Sequel

das said:
- An idea that has been nagging me a bit is the setting of the infamously short-lived NES2 IV, taken through an exciting two decades of impericide and global chaos and then given over to the NESers for reconstruction and more chaos still. There might actually be some merit in this idea, but how many people would actually be interested in that?

I almost certainly won't be doing this, but still, to get it out of my head, I brainstormed for a bit and came up with the following 1928 map. Parts of it do require some suspension of disbelief, but I think that the setting this ended up with is fairly promising (and come on, how many worlds with a Communist India and a semi-fascist CSA as preeminent great powers do you know?). Perhaps not now, perhaps not with myself as a mod, but still.

Attachments

• NES2 IV Strikes Back 1928 World Map.GIF
    NES2 IV Strikes Back 1928 World Map.GIF
    105.9 KB · Views: 282
Semi fascist CSA? Das, I loves you :p

Though Detroit being the capital of anything is a scary scary thought.

New Orleans as capital of a fascist CSA? That's just...wrong. Also, what the hell is wrong iwth the Hawai'ian capital? Finally, I'd be very interested to find out about the east Siberian nation.

New Orleans as capital of a fascist CSA? That's just...wrong.

Heh. Heh. Muwhahaha.

But really, I think its a pretty good capital for a southwards-oriented imperialistic CSA.

Really not sure about the capital of Hawai(')i, though. Eastern Siberian nation is a result of an industrialisation programme gone wrong combined with an "imperialistic war gone revolutionary". The haven for Russian communists after their eventual defeat in Europe and defeat in the Ukrainean power struggles.

I think if the USA is splintered due to civil war, California falling would only be a matter of time if the CSA so chose to take it :mischief:

Out of curiosity, I assume the blacks within the CSA would still be oppressed? What about the massive Mexican population?

WHAT DID YOU DO TO GERMANY DAS ARRRGH....

Greece looks okay, though, and I suppose Austria isn't a total loss. The existence of any Confederacy makes me extremely angry, tho.

Oh, and slightly more constructively, I thought that as Spain I was massively decolonizing...maybe the update hadn't quite been posted, but I thought that I left Spain's African possessions already in preparation for my suicidal attack on France.

Wait I was the USA. What the hell happened to me? I was about to invade the Confederacy before the NES ended. The CSA was already having loads of problems like the Mexcian revolt and I was going to crush them.

Apparently, das was so amazed with my two turn stint as the Confederacy, it crushed you so bad you had a civil war :D

I think if the USA is splintered due to civil war, California falling would only be a matter of time if the CSA so chose to take it :mischief:

Out of curiosity, I assume the blacks within the CSA would still be oppressed? What about the massive Mexican population?

Pretty much, though it was as much a civil war as it was all-out anarchy. The Monroe Doctrne Alliance ended up siding with France in the World War.

and if thats a communist great lakes region I will just shake my head and tut.

Oh, but it is! :p

WHAT DID YOU DO TO GERMANY DAS ARRRGH....

Hey, its bigger than where we left it.

I thought that I left Spain's African possessions already in preparation for my suicidal attack on France.

Don't recall much of that - you did abandon the Latin American colonies, though.

I was about to invade the Confederacy before the NES ended.

Um, no. You wanted to invade it on the first turn but weren't allowed to go ahead by the Senate. From what I recall you dropped out subsequently; not sure, though. The USA certainly did abandon that plan.

As already mentioned the Monroe Doctrine Alliance sided with France in the World War, and in spite of a promising beginning the USA ended up taking the brunt of the British counter-offensive; this and a certain crafty international communist conspiracy led to USA's collapse, though the government held on to the western territories, including most of the gains made against Russia.

And the CSA ended up well-positioned to pick up the pieces. Its unclear whether or not it would retain all of its gains; their government faces a lot of internal dissent from various sources.

Why did it side with France? I was siding with Russia. Also...the Senate would have seen my point of view eventually....eventually....

Don't try arguing it, it's just another timeline to be purged in nuclear hellfire for its heresies. Just accept it and move on.

Really not sure about the capital of Hawai(')i, though.

Barring extreme changes to the point of nuclear weapons altering geography, the Hawaiian capital should always be on Oahu; on our map, that's the third isle from the left, distinctly shaped like a mutated diamond.

Actually, from 1804 to 1809 it was on Waikiki, and then until 1845, the capital was on Lāhainā, Maui. So there's a good 41 year stretch when it shouldn't be in Honolulu. That's apparently where it is on the map. Then again, considering it's 1928, it really should be at Honolulu.

Heh. Heh. Muwhahaha.

But really, I think its a pretty good capital for a southwards-oriented imperialistic CSA.
Southwards oriented, maybe. Fascist? No. New Olreans and Louisiana are and have always been both the most liberal part of the CSA and the most distinct. For instance, Louisiana always had a fairly large free Black population which was much better integrated into the free White population than anywhere else in the South. Even worse, the entire population of the Acadie was one big Mulatto-Mestizo melting pot of racially impure francophones that simply DID NOT fit into the gentile Southern White society of the rest of the CSA. Actually, I highly doubt that Louisiana would have even remined a part of a fascist CSA (and possibly not a few other areas, including the South West, California, and possibly Florida). It is (barely) possibly to suspend disbelief and accept a Louisiana that remains loyaly part of a fascist CSA, but to suspend disbelief far enough that it not only remains but becomes the capital? Impossible. Much better southern-focused capitals exist just across the Mississippi River in Mississippi and Alabama, the strongholds of Southern White Supremacy and racism. Your best option would probably be Montgomery, Alabama, although Mobile, Alabama, Biloxi, Mississippi, and Jackson, Mississippi are also good.

Technically it was the capital from much earlier, and has significantly changed because of this by the time of the aborted revolution.

Top Bottom