Alternate History Thread IV: The Sequel

Okay, people, enough with the personal attacks.

The point of this thread is to discuss possible changes in history and their effects, generally as they pertain to future NESes. The point of this forum, more broadly, is to provide simulations, of varying faithfulness to reality, of the experience of ruling a nation. Personal attacks are irrelevant to these pursuits.

Perhaps I may not be able to lay down rules for peoples posting, but the forum moderators can, and there are convenient "report post" links included for every post.

Now, I'll operate under the generous assumption that every member of this forum is at this moment typing a post responding to this discussion, having not seen this post. As a result, I'll let one more ad-hominem type post by each of you slide (so be sure to use your best insults now). Then I start reporting posts.

Got it? Good.

Sincerely,
jalapeno_dude

And they did not, in the beginning, have the seamanship to crew a fleet well enough to defeat Carthage, but they learned and eventually overcame them. So the historical precedent is there and so is a valid premise.:)
Mmm...not really. Much of the warfare against Carthage was fueled partially by reverse engineering a quinquereme (at least, that's the story Polybius gives us), but it is generally believed that the southern Greek cities such as Tarentum and Neapolis, combined with the not-nonexistent Etruscan navies from the Etrurian leagues to the north of Rome provided much more expertise. Note that southern Italy was conquered almost immediately before the First Punic War and as such is perfectly chronologically placed to be a new exploitation of resources. How else do you think the Romans got over to Messana in the first place? :p In any event, a more proper First Punic War analogue would be Rome conquering the Jutland peninsula and forcing the Danes to work with them to produce longboats to fight the Norwegians.

EDIT: This doesn't count as ad hominem, right? I'm afraid I never debated and thus don't know the fallacies.

So long as we're not straying into the realm of probability here, just possibility, then I'll generally be fine with this as well.

I have claimed nothing else but possibility.

While not outside the realm of possibility, a unified Norseland this early is highly unlikely. The geographical isolation that the fjords are in militate against much of a central authority, though a Celtic-type "High Kingship" is somewhat in order beforehand I guess. That "High King" would be unable to coordinate raids or invasions effectively though.

I suppose it would be better to say something like Ragnar Hairy Breeches led the first attack and then other Jarls joined in to go a Viking. And it just built momentum. Would that do?

This is probably just nitpicking, but it's actually the other way round: Norse longships are designed for shallower waters (their draft isn't very much), while Norse seamanship gets them across the oceans, or in this case the North and Norwegian Seas.

Good point, I will change that reference.

As to the Roman wars in Britannia against the Norse, I am somewhat interested in the tactical details of the battles; why did Rome win at Londinium, lose at Verulamium, and capture the ships at Dubrae?

I have not thought on the land battles and so far have only given passing thought to the capture of the ships. I was going to flesh out the battles once I had the base timeline down.

The slow, slogging fight against the Norse in England does make some sense, although I'm interested in the demographical information (resettlement?), and am also wondering as to the lack of Norse raids on Gaul, which should be much more prosperous and is a highly convenient target given the rivers.

Again, good point. I will add in Norse raids on Gaul.

The original reason for the creation of the NES subforum's alternate history thread series (the first one was, gasp, a poll done by Amenhotep7) was to come up with settings for NESes, so naturally we're sort of biased that way, towards a scenario that retains some historicity and provides a good setting for a NES. So long as there aren't any pretensions towards remaining in the probable as opposed to the merely possible, then I can't honestly say that you ought be met with any sort of hostility.

Never even entered my mind it was probable, only possible. :D

My argument was aimed primarily at destroying the likelihood that these new provinces would even be seized in the first place, especially in the volume they were (having admittedly only skimmed the TL at first glance). There simply is no reason for the Romans to take over Germania and Scythia other than to safeguard against a possible barbarian attack (assuming massive preplanning by the Romans and a collective strategy over the course of multiple emperors), in which case the only Romans in the new provinces would be military (for there is basically no reason for civilians to settle in the impassable German forest or the open plains of Scythia, until they become somewhat profitable by diffusion, and besides, as I believe Dis has previously pointed out, Scythia can't become anything but pastoral for a few centuries at the least and a millennium at most). If the only Romans in the provinces are military, then they will be sparsely populated, because Rome hasn't got the cash to pay a military large enough to cover Scythia and Germania without a civilian infrastructure and cover the already existing provinces as well. Sparsely populated military indicates that the Goths and their ilk would have a relatively easy time of smashing through the frontier and getting to the Danuvius, Rhodanus, and through the Caucasus, thus leaving us at square one again. Besides, the Roman infantry-based system of warfare just doesn't really work on the steppes all that well, even with guns.

Please read my post on Waldgrimes. The frontier was the Dniester for that section of the froniter, not on the plains of Scythia itself.

Also read my entry on the Roman Army reorganization in 270 and give comment on that.

Because every emperor will use the adoption system. :p They tried that in OTL and Marcus Aurelius ignored it to his peril. As long as the emperor has sons, they will attempt to claim legitimacy from the adopted ones, and it's rather unlikely that every single emperor will fail to produce a child. (What's the fun in being emperor if you can't have a harem or at least a mistress? :king: ) The Thirty Tyrants (yes, I know there weren't actually 30 of them) arose as a result of a few years of political instability combined with a few defeats on the battlefield as a result of corruption; if this is all it takes to set the OTL Roman Empire off, being a colossus as it is, then I tend to lean towards the side of inevitability here. The crisis was, in the end, a fairly good thing for Rome, because they were forced to modernize somewhat and establish a more stable system of military dictatorship, and reorganized the administrative and financial aspects of the Empire, which beforehand were becoming something of a shambles.

lol, good point. Any suggestions?

I'm pretty sure Octavian didn't have clairvoyance or influence over the Goths' actions centuries into the future; otherwise, how would he have screwed up so badly? :p

Not sure what you mean by this. The Gothic assault is far after Octavian passed on.

And, as before, I disagree that this system of succession is inherently stable, because none is, due to that lovely thing called human agency. I suppose you could theoretically have no Emperors with children, and all of them are competent or better because they choose successors who always are, and who never descend into madness or megalomania or anything like that, and who are in fact the superhuman and divine beings that they proclaim in their titles. This, however, lies in the area of possibility, not probability, which is a more fundamental dispute as previously enumerated.

Any suggestions

Yes, and as I have previously noted I believe the argument that Gaul and the Balkan provinces would not be raided to be inherently flawed and thus inadmissible. However, since we aren't dealing with what's probable, merely with what's possible, then we can completely ignore problems like that. Nice how that works as a catch-all to eliminate little things like logic or reason from the enterprise. :p

I do not see how a shift of the frontier east would not have prevented attacks on Gaul and the Balkans. The civvies were moving in before the Varus Disaster. Now if you turn that into a victory, Waldgrimes and other sites like her would have continued to grow as the Germans were romanized.

As for constructive criticism, I would venture to say that the Romans did have a very reasonable goal in holding Germania as a military province, and that like Gaul it could see limited Romanization by the Crisis of the Third Century (or its analogue). Acting like Dacia as a brake on the incoming barbarians, it could slow down the destruction that they wreak...and thusly weaken Rome's position later on, as necessary reforms are not put in place and the Empire is forced to deal with a new Great Power in Sassanid Persia, along with the renewed barbarian threat when the Huns begin to move. What you postulate, in my opinion, would lead to the earlier collapse of Rome instead of a general expansion, unless we can get a deus ex machina of a few superhuman emperors in a row who can beat back the barbs before they wreak sufficient economic damage on the Empire. Compare the effects of the Crisis on Rome to castor oil: it doesn't taste so good when it goes down, but it's good for you.

That last line was quite humorous. :lol: So any suggestions? Since you do not have the full timeline yet I had planned on a Crisis-like event chain happening in the 400's AD. Since I think an exapnsion of the borders would delay but not entirely do away with internal and external crises turning the Huns into what Cniva and his visigoths were to OTL.

So any suggestions as to events to add to that later Crisis, by all means suggest.

EDIT:
Mmm...not really. Much of the warfare against Carthage was fueled partially by reverse engineering a quinquereme (at least, that's the story Polybius gives us), but it is generally believed that the southern Greek cities such as Tarentum and Neapolis, combined with the not-nonexistent Etruscan navies from the Etrurian leagues to the north of Rome provided much more expertise. Note that southern Italy was conquered almost immediately before the First Punic War and as such is perfectly chronologically placed to be a new exploitation of resources. How else do you think the Romans got over to Messana in the first place? In any event, a more proper First Punic War analogue would be Rome conquering the Jutland peninsula and forcing the Danes to work with them to produce longboats to fight the Norwegians.

Good point and I did have an entry where the Romans push into Cimbria. :)

Cheers, Thorgrimm

Much better, people. Carry on, just without the ad-hominems.

@Dachspmg: Ad Hominem = attacking the person rather than the argument, essentially.

@jal, do we get all the ad hominem attacks we can fit in one post?:p

@Thorgrimm, no one has to prove its in the realm of impossibility, as the writer, your job is to convince us it IS possible. I could say FDR built a robot battlesuit to make up for his literal lameness and then conquered Europe and Asia and freed Africa to be a giant democratic union that is now under the leadership of the Kenyan Barack Obama, who was the first person to build and operate a university on the Moon and all of that is of course entirely not impossibly...but its also ridiculously stupid.

@Nk you're a smelly, arrogant son of an elephant whore

@Alex, the Chinese are vastly inferior to the Irish. Prove that that isn't impossible, or else its true

@Dachs, you're a cotten-headed ninnymuggins

@Strategos, you're a fat kidneyed bladderhead

@Jal again, thanks for the blank check:)

As to the Roman wars in Britannia against the Norse, I am somewhat interested in the tactical details of the battles; why did Rome win at Londinium, lose at Verulamium, and capture the ships at Dubrae?
Because Alfred won at Ashdown in the winter of 871, lost at Marden in the spring of 871, and defeated seven raiders at an unknown location in 875, capturing one. Bad form, Thorgrimm. You might have changed the timing, at the very least.

That was the implication, yes. :p

Glad it's out of your system now.

Thanks again.

And for clarification, the Nk attack is meant to be said in Sean Connery's accent.

Because Alfred won at Ashdown in the winter of 871, lost at Marden in the spring of 871, and defeated seven raiders at an unknown location in 875, capturing one. Bad form, Thorgrimm. You might have changed the timing, at the very least.

Lol, somebody finally spotted it. :D The Norse section was quickly thrown together by me today to see if anybody would say Alfred's accomplishments were not possible. It was an experiment to see if it was resistance to the idea or the events themselves. Thats why it was presented out of order.

Thats why I ahd this bit in the beginning of the Norse post;

I truly want to see the reasons you fine folks come up with as to why this portion of the timeline can not exist.

Those dates and names were left there on purpose as a hint. I just added a few new entries and the legend of Alfred visiting Guthrum's camp to hide the origin a little bit.

I did this since I honestly feel the resistance was to the idea, not the possibility of the events. And those events did actually occur, I would like folks to reflect on why they were said as to be silly. I just changed some of the names and places to Latin versions, but they did occur. fascinating period in English history to.

But if I have offended anyone with this experiment, I do beg your pardon and just ask to reflect on why actual historical events were said to be silly.

Cheers, Thorgrimm

That was the implication, yes. :p

:D

/Deep Breath

@jal: Who died and made you king? there have been mostly civil comments on Thor's timeline, aside from the back and forth with NK. You an your 'rules' make me so angry!

@NK, you elitist you ;). Put downs are best when they are short - for those of us in the peanut gallery you should have schooled his arse with only a couple of sentances and as little quoting him as possible ;).

@Swiss: 'Empire?' more like swisscheese amiright?

@Thorgrimm: We get that you like rome, we really do. But here we tend to go for a) good stories with believable characters ranges (as in the name of the subforum), and b) high plausibility outcomes (because thats how games work, which is what this subforum is also about).
Your timeline of "amazing disciplined super romans defeat everyone" is a) Neither of those things, and b) reminisent of the huge quantity of cliched super rome timelines and stories out there. Thus we perhaps treated it roughly, and I apologise for that, but you have to admit it is a very low probability outcome, and a tad boring. It is however quite impressive in its detail, and I certainly hope you continue writing timelines.
-Putting up a bad timeline as in your Norse section is just an annoying waste of time in this thread, as this is an alt-history thread for NESes. You want to do something liek that go to the off-topic World History Alt-History thread, and wallow in the idiocy there (I am quite happy being elitist as regards those lot ;)). Or start you're own thread here or there, or put it in the while we wait thread.
-Finally if you didn't like what NK was saying, just say "you're not helping, thus I will ignore you", whining about it and insulting him doesn't help anyone.

@Strategos; nothing, carry on ;)

We the Royal Sovereign of all the Alternate History Threads past, present and future (on the account of writing a lot of stuff for this and the preceding threads way back) do hereby endorse, approve and second the above post. ;)

@Thorgrimm: We get that you like rome, we really do. But here we tend to go for a) good stories with believable characters ranges (as in the name of the subforum), and b) high plausibility outcomes (because thats how games work, which is what this subforum is also about).
Your timeline of "amazing disciplined super romans defeat everyone" is a) Neither of those things, and b) reminisent of the huge quantity of cliched super rome timelines and stories out there. Thus we perhaps treated it roughly, and I apologise for that, but you have to admit it is a very low probability outcome, and a tad boring. It is however quite impressive in its detail, and I certainly hope you continue writing timelines.
-Putting up a bad timeline as in your Norse section is just an annoying waste of time in this thread, as this is an alt-history thread for NESes. You want to do something liek that go to the off-topic World History Alt-History thread, and wallow in the idiocy there (I am quite happy being elitist as regards those lot ). Or start you're own thread here or there, or put it in the while we wait thread.
-Finally if you didn't like what NK was saying, just say "you're not helping, thus I will ignore you", whining about it and insulting him doesn't help anyone.

I completely disagree with everything said there. There have been a vast amount of NESes based on insane changes in tineline, some including a super Rome, super France and super Germany. All were fun and full of players and one was written abd MODed by das who seems to agree with the quoted post.

EQ MODed the Super Rome one, and super germanies are on every Germany wins WW1 or 2 NESes.

So please stick to the truth, crazy and nearly impossible is very welcome. Look at AFSNES by das, the whole thing is a big strech on history and yet we all enjoy it very much.

Actually thats something I made in the SCC forums. das said that was nice and he would like to hear how it continues. It had a super Mongols alt history.

So what? It still does not justify lowering our standards. What was wrong was wrong.

Also, arguably most of those examples are less of a stretch of imagination, as they take place a) in modern times and b) over a shorter stretch. It's one thing to have France, under two consequent skilled rulers, extend and maintain hegemony over most of Europe for within a century; it's another thing entirely to have the Romans advance without apparent fail over the centuries to eventually unite the entire world and fly into space.

There is nothing wrong with having a hegemonic empire; but there is plenty wrong with it staying hegemonic over such lengthy periods. If anything, it is far more interesting to have it crumble, and see how its legacy survives beyond that. In the case of the timeline being discussed, mega-Rome is much less interesting (to me, at least) than the fate of a Persia that has been partly infused with Latin culture and possibly reigned by a dynasty of Roman descent.

Didn't people like EQ's Roman Empire in the modern world NES? Where it survives long long?

And interesting isn't standard. And come on we had magic and NESes with elves, and even a world map NES with zombies and gods... Standards are not lowered cause of his alt-history. And if he makes a NES out of it it's your choice if you don't want to join because Rome is super powered and the stroy don't interest you.

Didn't people like EQ's Roman Empire in the modern world NES? Where it survives long long?

Which one exactly?

Standards are not lowered cause of his alt-history.

Ofcourse not. That has nothing to do with standards. Standards are about what we accept as passable and what we demand improved (that latter bit is, ofcourse, constructive criticism). It is my opinion that, with regards to alternate histories as posted on this thread (note: I am NOT talking about the NESes - there are some standards to keep up to there as well, but it is a wholly different matter; I am talking strictly about what is offered for our consideration and entertainment on this very thread), it is good to try and impose some higher standards in some regards, inasmuch as it will encourage improvement (though it is sometimes best to be wary not to discourage writing altogether). That is, after all, part of the purpose for this thread - so that people could offer constructive criticism and other suggestions as to how a given scenario or timeline can be developed and improved upon.

Well telling him this :
-Putting up a bad timeline as in your Norse section is just an annoying waste of time in this thread, as this is an alt-history thread for NESes. You want to do something liek that go to the off-topic World History Alt-History thread, and wallow in the idiocy there (I am quite happy being elitist as regards those lot ). Or start you're own thread here or there, or put it in the while we wait thread.

Is NOT constructive criticism. That is telling him to go away.

Not at all. He did place a deliberately bad (as per his own admission) timeline here; that's not constructive on his part at all, given that this thread has a somewhat different purpose.

Top Bottom