April 2021 Update - Patch Notes Discussion

Nice surprise to see those tourism changes. Would have been good to see it go even further, but regardless I like it.
The closest thing to Ideologies we'll get as of now.

and those Khmer changes are pretty massive. While population still isn't that good, at least they get something out of it. But they still don't get a buff to their ability to start a religion either...

and those Khmer changes are pretty massive. While population still isn't that good, at least they get something out of it. But they still don't get a buff to their ability to start a religion either...
I'm pretty sure all Civilizations get the Ability to start a Religion, besides Kongo of course. :p

It's falls into the category of not being very inspiring, as just a watermill replacement. Not to mention I think the bonuses that the Palgum got I wish were on the standard watermill to begin with.

I mean, OK, that's all fine, but Palgum isn't weak like the others ones on the list. It's actually really good, even if it's boring.

But really giving terrace farm double housing??? As if that UI was not insanely overpowered already...
A lot of players regard Terrace Farms as a trap that harms your production.

Right. The other problem is that you're getting a lot of extra food from the terrace farms, but no extra housing for the population that results from that extra food. Now that the terrace farms also give extra housing, Incan cities can grow very large. Good change!

Did they possibly change AI inclinations for pantheon beliefs? I almost always can get God of the Sea, but it's not available in my Spain game. :(

The Immortal has the same melee CS as a swordsman now, so if you want to slam them into walls, they will have the same effects as a swordsman. 5 more melee CS for the immortals, I think, is pretty big.
Do they get a penalties on attacking? Can they use rams/towers?

I can't remember why they felt very bad before

Maybe it was just the -5 CS for the Immortal and it was a psychological thing.

Do they get a penalties on attacking? Can they use rams/towers?

If you use its ranged attack then you will receive a -17 RS against district + -50% RS against walls. If you use the melee attack, then yes, it can be affected by rams and towers, but will receive a -85% CS against walls.
You remember it being bad because you use the Ranged attack, which is as strong as that of an Archer. Archers barely do anything to Walls, so that's why.

the cherry on top looking at the inca/khmer changes would be something that rewarded large pop cities

In Khmer's case, you'll get lots of culture, faith, and tourism for having high-population cities. For the Inca... I don't know. I guess you'll have higher production since your extra citizens can work those mountain tiles and stuff.

Game is crashing when I start it with the new TSL-map.
All official mods enabled nothing else, on macos.
What to do?

Error-code: C6E8B941

Kind regards!

the cherry on top looking at the inca/khmer changes would be something that rewarded large pop cities
That, plus the Maya buffs, makes Tall Play Civs more viable now. A win for all, even those who play wide! :D

Re, Scotland: Scotland is great already. I feel Bannockburn has been criminally underrated by the community at large since ever. Make more friends. Stick up for the little guy. Be happy.

The ability is great, and the design is certainly fun! The problem isn't the ability itself, the problem is that there's no such thing as a War of Liberation casus belli in the game, because the conditions are never met. The AI simply doesn't conquer cities, with the only exceptions being really early game, and then a city-state here and there. Clearly that will never change, so the ability is impossible to trigger and it's as inexistent as the casus belli that is supposed to trigger it. For all effects and purposes, Robert the Bruce doesn't have a leader ability.

Every Civ with a similar ability works because you can trigger it reliably enough. Chandragrupta is just a matter of having a city near your enemy, Cyrus can activate it at will, John Curtin can easily chain several activations by going in a CS liberation spree (again, the AI likes to conquer those). Tamar's was pretty unreliable too, but not as much as Robert's, and it got a redesign. Now, Scotland is the only Civ left with that design that was clearly a misfire. I didn't expect them to change it, considering that they didn't say anything in the video/livestream, and they certainly would, since it would be a considerable change that they would want to show off, but it's certainly disappointing to see that Robert lost his possibly last opportunity to actually have an ability.

In truth, the main problem with the Inca is that their ideal city-planning harms their district placement: you want to place Terrace Farms where you place Holy Sites and Campuses (beside mountains) as well as Industrial Zones (beside aqueducts, in tightly-packed city formations) while also wanting many nearby mountains. Production is a non-issue for Inca, since well-placed Terrace Farms outperform mines, especially with a nearby volcano. Now with more housing from improvements they can avoid having to build Neighbourhoods. Inca still remains a civilisation which richly rewards practise and extremely thought-out city-planning, but now scaling better.

Top Bottom