Ask A Catholic II

Status
Not open for further replies.
It depends on what you mean by Creationist. Evolution doesn't mean God didn't have anything to do with it.
I don't think the flood was global, most of the ancient civs in that region have a flood tradition.

I'm not asking about the Catholic viewpoint on Creationism, I'm asking about what you think Jesus (the man) thought :)

(but, to clarify, I mean a variant of "young earth creationism", like 'adam and eve literally existed a couple of days after animals were created, and 'people used to live hundreds of years back then' and 'the flood was global and a few thousand years ago'. I don't mean "Did Jesus think that God was involved in the creation of the Universe?". That question isn't interesting. The question is "Did Jesus (the man) have wildly false beliefs about history, due to his theological studies")

I'm assuming Jesus the man though that was how the world was created because at the time that was the best explanation available. Based on what philosophers could observe, they had no other explanation besides 'God created the universe'.

I'm thinking God intervened at three key points
Big Bang>Beginning of life on Earth>Giving humans souls

Yes, this is what I mean. You are a Creationist, but not a Young Earth Creationist, you are an Evolutionary Creationist, but still a Creationist.

@El Mac- No, you aren't allowed to ask that question. Word it simply. Ask "Did Jesus believe in (X, Y, and Z). Asking "Did Jesus believe false theories" isn't going to work, at least if Catholicism has any YECs on here.

I'm sure that Jesus was educated in theological matters. Without scientific evidence to the contrary, it is likely that Jesus the man accepted the Biblical account, yes. For Jesus the Christ, it was just as irrelevant as it is today.

Hmm, Arakhor, to us Catholics Jesus is God Himself, and if God is Omniscient then Jesus knew the true story of whatever exactly happened at the beginning of time.

I hadn't thought of that. Do you believe that God is omniscient?

But was Jesus always God or did he only become God with full powers of omniscience, omnipotence and so on when he returned to life and then ascended to Heaven?

I think the opinion is divided on that, but the 'official' opinion is that before ressurection Jesus wasn't aware of his omnipotence. After ressurection he was aware of it.

I think the opinion is divided on that, but the 'official' opinion is that before ressurection Jesus wasn't aware of his omnipotence. After ressurection he was aware of it.

[citation needed]

Then I suppose he assumed he thought like a mortal before he died and would accept the Torah as his guide to life.

Hmm, Arakhor, to us Catholics Jesus is God Himself, and if God is Omniscient then Jesus knew the true story of whatever exactly happened at the beginning of time.
Not necessarily. God could be omniscient, and Jesus could be united with God in one ousia, without the hypostasis of Jesus being aware of his omniscience.

But was Jesus always God or did he only become God with full powers of omniscience, omnipotence and so on when he returned to life and then ascended to Heaven?
He was always God, even before the incarnation.

Civ_king, if something as specific as an "Ask an X" thread, something more helpful than [citation needed] would be appreciated.

What's the justification for believing this? The only thing I can think of would be what Jesus said in Matthew 24 and Mark 13, which, according to St. John Chrysostom, is just hyperbole to make it clear that you shouldn't even bother speculating when the Second Coming will occur.

I don't recall what the justification is. I remember reading it by someone here on a debate about this same topic. Unfortunately I can't be of more help.

What's the justification for believing this? The only thing I can think of would be what Jesus said in Matthew 24 and Mark 13, which, according to St. John Chrysostom, is just hyperbole to make it clear that you shouldn't even bother speculating when the Second Coming will occur.

I'm pretty sure Jesus didn't know at the time, then again I'm not Catholic.

I don't see speculating as a big deal if you don't actually claim to know. Just guessing can't be harmful.

Trying to guess the day is stupid though.

In any case, I think Jesus knew everything he needed to know. I don't think he was omniscient at the time, but I think he was well aware he once was, would again become so, and only was not at the time by choice.

I'm pretty sure Jesus didn't know at the time, then again I'm not Catholic.

[deleted comment about it having possibly come up in an argument previously on CFCOT]
In response to that thing you deleted, it has:
Yes, if they have different streams of consciousness, as a number of philosophical theologians have proposed.

By illustration, someone with fragmented personalities could "know" something in one personality but not in the other. Now some writers, notably Thomas Morris and Richard Swinburne, have suggested that Christ could have had a split mind in a somewhat analogous way. His divine stream of consciousness would have carried on as before, complete with its omniscient knowledge. But he would have had a human stream of consciousness parallel with it, which would not have had omniscient knowledge. In such a case, Christ would have been omniscient (in virtue of his divine consciousness), but in his human consciousness he would not have had access to that knowledge and might not even have known that he had it.

Remember that, historically, theologians have held that Christ had two minds - a human one and a divine one. This is because it was thought that, if he hadn't had a distinct human mind in addition to his divine mind, he would not have been truly human. So the Morris/Swinburne idea of the split mind is really just a modern restatement. The difference is that, classically, Christian theologians have thought that even the human mind was omniscient, on the grounds that although it was human, it must have been perfect, and therefore have had all knowledge (and any other perfections) that a human mind is capable of. Modern philosophical theologians tend not to think this, and those who posit the two-mind or split-mind theory suppose instead that, while the divine mind is omniscient, the human mind is not.

Civ_king, if something as specific as an "Ask an X" thread, something more helpful than [citation needed] would be appreciated.
I've never read anything by the Catholic Church saying anything close to that

Exactly

The protestant reformation was not a good thing. Look at what we've wound up with: Evangelists asking for money on TV, people going around claiming the bible is the sole authority on everything christian, people going around with their own interpretations and claiming the same, people denying the Sacraments especially the Eucharist, and a general christian vs christian attitude.

Oddly enough, it's not catholics who have an anti-protestant attitude, but protestants who have an anti-catholic attitude. I've heard a few people so far say they've grown up with anti-catholic parents, but I don't know one catholic who ever said they grew up with anti-protestant parents. It just doesn't happen. I guess when you're comfortable knowing you're part of true, original church you don't need to attack other churches huh ;)

It is also my belief that christianity will be reunited under the Holy See in the future, when the truth is revealed before the apocalypse. All this protestantism while damaging is ultimately temporary.
This is utter nonsense.
So, while the protestants have had some scandals... I think it is pretty fair to say the Catholics have too! How one sided are you? Seriously?
I won't bother listing Catholic scandals, because it is moot... but you really need to realize how incredibly hypocritical and short-sighted you are here. You are talking about how there is no anti-Protestant sentiment in the RC community, while you are obviously quite anti-Protestant.
Your sentiments are quite ignorant and disgusting, to be completely honest. You should really stop the propaganda and open your heart... you may not have all the answers! Just maybe, maybe, you got a thing or two wrong. I know that is hard to imagine, but...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom