Brazil discussion thread

My problem with the stadium is that it comes too late and requires a colosseum and a theatre to be built, if we had a UB that late it wouldn't be very effective. Personally, I'm expecting either the Bandeirantes or the Fatherland Voluntiers as a UU and the Engenho as a UI/UB, though I prefer it as a UI. Just glad our country is in, btw, loved the leader screen!

Actually, the overly dark scenario isn't wrong at all. According to a French envoy who met Pedro II in 1869:

"My meetings take place in a little study, the emperor before his desk, loaded with books, and I beside him, seated on a chair and leaning on the table; in front of us is a querosene lamp probably worth about 15 francs and which never works. His Majesty assembles and disassembles it with an admirable patience, every other minute, while continuing our conversation." "I took a chair beside him, slightly turned away, and we started to talk of everything and the rest. He was very cheerful and very alive, very informed, havind read everything, and having truly read it."

Source: page 136 of Barman, Roderick J. (1999). Citizen Emperor: Pedro II and the Making of Brazil, 1825–1891. Stanford, California: Stanford University Press.

According to Barman: "The bulk of each day was devoted to affairs of state, but Pedro II spent as much time as he could snatch away from the work reading books, newspapers, documents, and letters, his pencil at the ready. He filled the margins of whatever he was reading with comments and corrections, some of them profound and perceptive but just as often slight and superficial. He even corrected typographical errors he encountered. The emperor's formidable memory allowed him to retain and to make use of knowledge he picked up during his ciracious reading." (Barman 1999, pp.136–137)

Barman: "The image of Pedro II sitting alone in his study immersed in reading and writing catches the essence of the man. Throughout the length of his reign, he never depended on a personal secretariat... Pedro II handled the entire business of governing unaided, drafting and making good copies of documents, keeping notes on the meetings he attended, corresponding in own hand with ministers and lesser officials." (Barman 1999, p.138)

Barman: "There was also the emperor's private study, similarly filled with books." (Barman 1999, p.136)

Here comes my remarks:

What the developers got right: the scenario, the mood, the darkness, the emperor alone working until late.

What the developers got wrong: there are no books. The man was all about reading. there should be more books and papers there. He also looks too serious. Pedro II was not the kind of man who joked or laughed. He usually spoke little and chose carefully his words. However, he was always kind and polite.

For anyone interested in knowing how Pedro II's study (the room he worked) actually looked alike:

Attachments

• Pedro II of Brazils study.jpg
    Pedro II of Brazils study.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 522
Actually, the overly dark scenario isn't wrong at all. According to a French envoy who met Pedro II in 1869:

"My meetings take place in a little study, the emperor before his desk, loaded with books, and I beside him, seated on a chair and leaning on the table; in front of us is a querosene lamp probably worth about 15 francs and which never works. His Majesty assembles and disassembles it with an admirable patience, every other minute, while continuing our conversation." "I took a chair beside him, slightly turned away, and we started to talk of everything and the rest. He was very cheerful and very alive, very informed, havind read everything, and having truly read it."

Source: page 136 of Barman, Roderick J. (1999). Citizen Emperor: Pedro II and the Making of Brazil, 1825–1891. Stanford, California: Stanford University Press.

According to Barman: "The bulk of each day was devoted to affairs of state, but Pedro II spent as much time as he could snatch away from the work reading books, newspapers, documents, and letters, his pencil at the ready. He filled the margins of whatever he was reading with comments and corrections, some of them profound and perceptive but just as often slight and superficial. He even corrected typographical errors he encountered. The emperor's formidable memory allowed him to retain and to make use of knowledge he picked up during his ciracious reading." (Barman 1999, pp.136–137)

Barman: "The image of Pedro II sitting alone in his study immersed in reading and writing catches the essence of the man. Throughout the length of his reign, he never depended on a personal secretariat... Pedro II handled the entire business of governing unaided, drafting and making good copies of documents, keeping notes on the meetings he attended, corresponding in own hand with ministers and lesser officials." (Barman 1999, p.138)

Barman: "There was also the emperor's private study, similarly filled with books." (Barman 1999, p.136)

Here comes my remarks:

What the developers got right: the scenario, the mood, the darkness, the emperor alone working until late.

What the developers got wrong: there are no books. The man was all about reading. there should be more books and papers there. He also looks too serious. Pedro II was not the kind of man who joked or laughed. He usually spoke little and chose carefully his words. However, he was always kind and polite.

For anyone interested in knowing how Pedro II's study (the room he worked) actually looked alike:

Very informative. With the exception of the impoliteness that I mentioned earlier, the whole scenario looked good for me, only lacking more books. Pedro II was in some way a kind of technocrat. He rarely got involved with politics, which produced the wrong impression that he was indifferent to it. But he always fulfilled his emperor duties.

Very informative. With the exception of the impoliteness that I mentioned earlier, the whole scenario looked good for me, only lacking more books. Pedro II was in some way a kind of technocrat. He rarely got involved with politics, which produced the wrong impression that he was indifferent to it. But he always fulfilled his emperor duties.

Actually, he got involved a lot. Pedro II was a central piece in Brazilian national politics. That's how he managed to start the slavery abolitionist movement.

Just read the intro of his Wikipedia article. Overthrown at the height of his popularity, really interesting!
Anyway, the new screenshot looks much better than the one from PAX! Haven't the new images been linked to in this thread?

@Lecen, whatever the case It's still better than Ramkhamhaeng's. Khmer statues in the background, bah!

So this new unit, it's not some elite force? Well, maybe they'll have lowered production/upgrade costs.

So this new unit, it's not some elite force? Well, maybe they'll have lowered production/upgrade costs.

That's one possibility. They might also have double xp gain or defense against ranged. These guys went into battle against Germany with little training and had to learn on the fly. They also got hit by a really bad artillery barrage and survived.

The suggestions I've read so far all seem to include an element of 'tenacity.' Perhaps they start out with Cover I/II?

Maybe they get a powerful bonus that kicks in if they fortify?

Moderator Action: This thread has been locked because the discussion is completely off-topic and the staff needs to look into the issues of racism in this thread. Do not know if it will reopen, please do not start another one.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Moderator Action: Infractions given, racial discussion deleted and thread reopened. As race has nothing to do with Brazil's inclusion in Civ5 Brave New World, there is no need to bring it back up again. Let us be civil to one another.

The suggestions I've read so far all seem to include an element of 'tenacity.' Perhaps they start out with Cover I/II?

Maybe they get a powerful bonus that kicks in if they fortify?

Someone suggested that the Pracinha's ability would have something to do with gaining strenght the longest it stay in enemy territory. It's a nice idea, but making the invasion of other empires an advantage for Brazil would be historically wrong.

What would make the most sense gameplay wise would be a way to defend your holdings for the Cultural Victory. If we assume that at least a wide cultural victory is possibly and that would be the way to play Brazil (wide cultural), then a cheap to buy, low upkeep infantry sounds the most enticing. That's not very sexy though, nor might it be the most realistic. But hey, it suffices ;)

What would make the most sense gameplay wise would be a way to defend your holdings for the Cultural Victory. If we assume that at least a wide cultural victory is possibly and that would be the way to play Brazil (wide cultural), then a cheap to buy, low upkeep infantry sounds the most enticing. That's not very sexy though, nor might it be the most realistic. But hey, it suffices ;)

So you that Brazil is only good to win one type of victory? How boring could that be? "

Cangaceiro: they were outlaws, bandits, criminals who raped women, castrated men and robbed and ransacked towns. I feel insulted when I see a few people on this forum suggesting these brutal criminals as possible UUs of Brazil. I only mentioned the cangaceiros to make clear that we should stop talking about them. It's really offensive. It's like proposing serial killers as USA's UUs. Disgusting.

Well, we have Landsknecht as Germany's UU. They did the same things. Gengis Khan and Atilla did these things as well.

EDIT: Just saw the new UU. Unexpected, but really, really awesome choice. A cobra vai fumar!!!

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazilian_Expeditionary_Force_(FEB)

I didn't think Pracinhas could be included, but I'm pretty happy with the choice! They were an ordinary infantry, but with very little training, they impressed the American troops with their bravery and really helped them in the liberation of Italy from the Nazis.

My grandfather almost became one, but the grandfather of an ex-girlfriend of mine was indeed a Pracinha, who even wrote a book about it. She would tell me amazing stories that he told her and no one else.

So you that Brazil is only good to win one type of victory? How boring could that be? "

No, I'm saying that there should be a minimum of synergy between the parts of a civ. They can do something else of course, but it makes the game more fun I'd say. Also I hope that tourism will be good for more than just the Cultural Victory, so a focus on that doesn't necessarily mean the civ is too strictly focused on one theme.

I'm thinking Brazil might be my second BNW game now (in my first game for expansions usually I play an old civ but with all the AI civs being new ones, to see what their leader screens are like) - they seem like something really suitable for late games, which I like.

Great to see a new Infantry UU that's going to replace the ole FFL and probably demolish them as well

e: seems liek now I know which civ I want to play first!

Top Bottom