Brazil's UU: Pracinhas

I speak Spanish as well, so when I skimmed through it I noticed that and was a little surprised. I know Portuguese is similar in grammar/structure so I have to assume there may have been miscommunication.

Same link that the OP gave, about a third of the way down, above the pic of the UU and description of the WWII crest

Those troops served under an American command in Italy. Maybe you can temporarily gift them to other civs and city-states and they come back with experience.

City states won't send them back alive though. :(

City states won't send them back alive though. :(

Yeah, I don't think that would work well in practice.

I'm reading their Wikipedia entry trying to find possible unique aspects, but it seems the thing that sets them apart from the other infantry that participated in the Italian campaign is merely that they were from Brazil; that is to say, they were about as exceptional as any unit that participated in WWII.

I think it could probably be made so that they come back anyway even if the city-state deletes them or if their health falls below 25 or something.

But may be a player would control them?

As in the player himself or another player in MP?

As for the former, do you mean that you can control them, but they are technically the CS's or other civilization's units for the duration, so that you can participate in the war, but not officially be dragged into it?

As for the latter, that wouldn't help SP.

Here's a quick translation for anyone interested:

The new expansion for “Civilization V”, called “Brave New World”, will have a surprise for Brazilian players: among its world leaders there is Emperor Dom Pedro II.
The monarch will rely on the help of “pracinhas”, the soldiers of the Brazilian Expeditionary Force who fought in World War 2, in his mission to lead Brazil to the future and, of course, dominate the world by war, diplomacy, trading or technological development.
“Civilization V: Brave New World” will be launched on July 9 in the USA and, a little after that, on the 12th in the rest of the world.
Exclusive for PC, “Brave New World” doesn’t require the original Civilization V to be played.
(…)

And the caption for the 'pracinha' unit:

THE SNAKE WILL SMOKE
The soldiers of the Brazilian Expeditionary Force, affectionately called “pracinhas”, fought in the Italian front of World War 2.

The rest doesn't really matter.

I'm Portuguese. Yes that translation is correct, although its content isn't (obviously).

I am a little surprised - and somewhat disappointed - with the UU. There were so many other interesting options for Brazil, and they went for the most uninteresting one. There's nothing special about Brazil's participation in the WWII. For some reason, the Pracinhas are hold in great esteem in Brazil, considering the relative importance of their participation in the war, so maybe there's some commercial intent with this choice... I don't know.

Maybe this is a sign that we will get more late game play somehow. Maybe the victories will take longer to achiev or the tech tree will be expanded.

Pracinhas fought in Italy without proper equipment and suffered a lot with the winter, they didseveral hard missions (like the monte castelo battle). I think they will have some kind of defense/survival bonus.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Monte_Castello

Nah, I expected more for the brazillian UU. I can't mention any differences between the Pracinhas and any other WWII infantry unit besides the fact that they were brazilians. So I don't have any ideas about the abilities of this unit.

But is nice to see a late UU in the game.

The Huns have Battering ram, and of course Huns weren't only civ to ever build them, so maybe Pracinhas are like an Expeditionary Force style unit for Brazil, so their bonuses reflect either fighting abroad (like the French UU Legionaires) or something to deal with alliances or whatever..

What I mean is that they don't represent the actual units of Italian Front in World war, but more like a special forces style unit.

Personally I'm glad for late game UU, I think B-17 are very cool for America, and they are actually a lot better than regular bombers.

Clearly, we just needed a late game UU, and there is nothing wrong with that. It's not fun for everyone to get their advantage at the same time and negate each other.

We do need a late game UU and Brazil isn't exactly known for being a military powerhouse. It doesn't strike me as a double UU civ.

or something to deal with alliances or whatever..

That's a nice idea, it'd incentive Brazil to play peacefully toward a cultural or diplomatic victory while being able to fend off any aggression.

There are several civs here the UB is their actual UA because it's much more powerful (Arabia for example), but I can't really imagine a nation as young as Brazil getting a UB that comes early enough to make much of a difference.
But since we only heard about Carneval and didn't see a screenshot with the description, there's hope that there is more to it. Like a reduced happiness threshold to get a Golden Age.

It depends on what the effect of tourism (I don't really like that name btw, it's more like influence, or even standing) is in the early game. Maybe it will help with diplomatic relations, trade routes or city state relations. Of course reduced happiness requirements for a golden age and/or additional culture bonus during a golden age would fit with the theme.

If Brazil has a UB, it's probably going to be a Stadium replacement. The other possibility I think is that they get an UI that does something with jungle or plantation resources.

Maybe it will get a combat bonus when part of a joint military operation, such as when you join a war on the side of your ally?

I was reading how Brazil was reluctant to commit troops to WWII, but eventually broke diplomatic relations with Germany, Japan, and Italy in favor of the United States, Britain, France, Russia, et al.

Yeah, I would a expect a UI in the form of something like a Fazenda, a plantation that adds production as well when built on a resource. Pop those out early for a nice advantage, use your Pracinhas to expand in the later game and Carneval may have a benefit or 2 we don't know about yet (I'm thinking more wealth generated).

To me it sounds like a really bland unique unit.
I mean it's just normal WW2 troopers. Like every country can already build them in CiV.
And Brazil didn't even really have a big role in WW2 did they?
I really think the "Voluntários da Pátria" sound like a way more unique kind of unit that is only known about in relation with Brazil.

Top Bottom