Brexit Thread IX - Voters' Remorse

Yes certainly - not suggesting they carry out more lethal attacks, but they could at least, even only symbolic, burn something remotely connected to the Brexit decision making process, instead of a random bus.

IF this is truly intended as a political statement related to Brexit - which I seriously doubt, looks more like common vandalism as can be seen in any European capital on occasion imho.
One can see Brexit as an act of general vandalism of the UK after all...

Yes certainly - not suggesting they carry out more lethal attacks, but they could at least, even only symbolic, burn something remotely connected to the Brexit decision making process, instead of a random bus.
Buses are not symbolic of Brexit now?

I doubt that that was their actual intention, but, even if accidental, maybe it should count.

An interesting documentary on the loyalist point of view. From the biggest private TV channel in the UK, at the least not massively biased.

An interesting documentary on the loyalist point of view. From the biggest private TV channel in the UK, at the least not massively biased.
If they go in with preconceptions and an agenda, they're not journalists, they're political apparatchiks. :)

Good effort in a very tough place!
I thought the mother complaining that her kids were being abused on social media was hilarious though.
And I'm shocked that youtube comments are turned off .:shifty:

Last edited:
Did anyone (eg Priti Patel) explain why 43 police were used in the raid on the Hoxton Docks building?

Footage of "sinister" police raid on Antepavilion building triggers anger

Did anyone (eg Priti Patel) explain why 43 police were used in the raid on the Hoxton Docks building?

Footage of "sinister" police raid on Antepavilion building triggers anger
I do not think it is anything to do with brexit, just the current gov's demonisation of climate protests.

Three people were arrested on Friday (25 June) as police stormed the Antepavilion site and seized materials including bamboo poles in a pre-emptive strike against Extinction Rebellion (XR)

Witnesses say the police had also intended to dismantle the All Along the Watchtower ‘tensegrity’ structure made from bamboo and wire and erected on the roof of the site at Hoxton Docks, in east London – but later decided not to, withdrawing from the site on Saturday afternoon.

Project Bunny Rabbit, which designed and created the structure, said: ‘It is staggering that the police targeted what is quite clearly an art installation and not one connected to, or constructed under, the banner of Extinction Rebellion.’

Chief inspector Joe Stokoe, from the Metropolitan Police’s public order command, said: ‘We took proactive action to prevent and reduce the likelihood of criminal activity during the course of the weekend. This action should further demonstrate our commitment and proactivity to preventing criminality.’
Do note that they say "our commitment and proactivity to preventing criminality" when criminality means climate protest. This is not the way a free society is supposed to deal with peaceful protest. Also I think it is broken grammar, but I am hardly one to criticise that.

Christ, it really should not be a police role to pro-actively attack hippys.

Last edited:
Christ, it really should not be a police role to pro-actively attack hippys.
In the old days you could rely on the common citizenry to take the initiative!

In the old days you could rely on the common citizenry to take the initiative!

Yeah... we were "langharig tuig", the longhairy scum.
And everything so transparant in classes:
The young working class in black with short hair
The young higher education class in jeans with long hair
and the young traditional ambitious class in awfull and grey suits

Priti Patel's fast-track visa scheme for scientists attracted zero applicants in first six months

A fast-track visa scheme launched by the home secretary Priti Patel in May to entice Nobel laureates and similarly prestigious prize-winners to the UK has resulted in no applications in six months, it has been revealed.
There are more than 70 prizes that could make an applicant eligible for this immigration route, including the Nobel Prizes, the Fields Medal for mathematics, and computer science's Turing Award.
In the arts, the route is open to people who have won one of numerous awards including an Oscar, Grammy, BAFTA or Golden Globe, alongside other prizes in music, fashion, theatre, and architecture.
One wonders what exactly they expected to happen. People at that level of their career do not generally have a problem getting a job anywhere.

Priti Patel's fast-track visa scheme for scientists attracted zero applicants in first six months

A fast-track visa scheme launched by the home secretary Priti Patel in May to entice Nobel laureates and similarly prestigious prize-winners to the UK has resulted in no applications in six months, it has been revealed.
There are more than 70 prizes that could make an applicant eligible for this immigration route, including the Nobel Prizes, the Fields Medal for mathematics, and computer science's Turing Award.
In the arts, the route is open to people who have won one of numerous awards including an Oscar, Grammy, BAFTA or Golden Globe, alongside other prizes in music, fashion, theatre, and architecture.
One wonders what exactly they expected to happen. People at that level of their career do not generally have a problem getting a job anywhere.
Looks like she just took the blue-copies of Medvedev's scheme back when he was allowed to borrow the Russian presidency from Putin for a term? Except Medvedev actually got not a few takers (some of which in turn turned out to be shams, but never mind...)

Good, there is little point in attracting people whose best work is almost certainly behind them.

They merely block the way forward for the next generation.

Good, there is little point in attracting people whose best work is almost certainly behind them.

I know what you mean wrt nobels, but the fields for example is only awarded to those under 40.

IMO, the same "logic" applies to the House of Lords, and Senates in many other countries.

A fast-track visa scheme launched by the home secretary Priti Patel in May to entice Nobel laureates and similarly prestigious prize-winners to the UK has resulted in no applications in six months, it has been revealed.​
The University of Manchester academic, who was awarded the Nobel prize for physics in 2010 for his
work on graphene, added:
The scheme itself is a joke - it cannot be discussed seriously. The government thinks if you pump up
UK science with a verbal diarrhoea of optimism it can somehow become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

But relentless optimism has been Johnson's calling card for over five years. It's literally been his only style of governance for two years! (Well, that and constant lying.)

If I had a Nobel prize and for whatever strange reason decided to come to the UK, I would expect the university administration to handle the visa application for me.

And if there was the slightest doubt of being able to immigrate without the Nobel prize, I would not bother to come anyway. I would want to hire competent staff, no matter where they come from and if immigration is an issue, I would be much better off elsewhere.

Top Bottom