Brexit Thread VI - The Knockout Phase ?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As an April fool a chat radio station here had a German 'MEP' on suggesting everyone in Europe should lose a public holiday to pay for Brexit - saying you don't need a day off on St Patrick's day - you could go out to see the parade on your lunch break.
They obviously only read out the comment of people who fell for it but it really wound people up.

Pay DENBTS !

ssssttt

The biggest secret of this whole affair is that as long as the EU keeps refreshing the bonds of Greece, the Greek pay no interest on them, and the debt taken over by the EU goes down at inflation rate.
But this is hushh, hushh, because otherwise the "holy taxpayer" of the rich NW EU countries feels ripped off. The evil undemocratic behaviour of Brussels towards NW EU citizens feeding conservative populism.
Cameron refused to join that hoax, "because it was a Euro problem", but his banks and international investors benefitted also from the borrowing behaviour of Greece, by earning high interest rates, just like US investors, and others, just like the Eurozone banks that benefitted the most.
Having the Greek upset and complaining about the harsh measures, the only political viable way to prevent Italy pulling tricks and prevent angry taxpayers in the NW EU.
And Cameron's position has not been forgotten by the EU. The norns of fate were already spinning the threads of Brexit at that time.

Last edited:
ssssttt
Having the Greek upset and complaining about the harsh measures, the only political viable way to prevent Italy pulling tricks and prevent angry taxpayers in the NW EU.
And Cameron's position has not been forgotten by the EU. The norns of fate were already spinning the threads of Brexit at that time.

I thought that Brexit was because the UK didnt want to keep paying Greece, Spain and Italy ?
The UK didnt want to send billions to the EU and instead spend it on the NHS instead ????

I thought that Brexit was because the UK didnt want to keep paying Greece, Spain and Italy ?
The UK didnt want to send billions to the EU and instead spend it on the NHS instead ????

Cameron did not like paying into the EU funds supporting farmers (he had not that many) and paying into lower developed regions to help them catch up faster.
If I remember correctly, at the time of Cameron, Italy is already a net funder for a small amount.
But the Southern European countries got indeed a lot over time, but that lesseded when the East-European countries joined in 2004, because they got as well. The total amount increasing.

Ditching the possibility that what Cameron did was one big conspiracy plot to get out...
What triggered for a part Brexit was that Cameron demanded always something extra from the EU, while at the same time not managing expextations at the domestic front what would be achievable.
That Eurozone issue, a Cameron not willing to help paying, channeled through bailing out Greece, the surplus profits made by also his banks and big investors...
His battle attitude perhaps most damaging in wakening up broader eurosceptic sentiments in the UK. That Greece issue, those financial irresponsible southern european countries a problem of the EU, but not the UK.

Sum it up into: the EU is a loser with stagnated liberal reforms in France and those southern EU countries... and we the UK should not be part of a loser... we should seek the minimal relation to use their very big single market.

That is the situation when he starts that last re-negotiation round to get more opt-outs from the EU.
Looking back... he better had never started that re-negotiation. It was doomed anyway. What did not prevent that the EU gave indeed some little things to him... for old times sake or so.

Germany pays the most which isnt a surprise, given its wealth and war guilt
Greece,Spain and Portugal are still net benefitaries, EU money is still flowing into the Balkans From the list Poland stands out as a success story, along with Estonia

Last edited:
God, no, not another extension. Please, can we get rid of this toxic island already?

They're welcome to rejoin once they get their s**t together.

EDIT: Ugh, I used to love the UK.

As long as the Withdrawal deal is signed, having that 21 months extension, the EU will not be bothered that much.
I understand from May doing that announcement, that she is going to sit down with Corbyn (if the Labour party as a whole agrees) and that that Withdrawal deal will be signed (if Corbyn steps in).
Whether they will use all 21 months or not not really relevant for the EU.

She can not whip as she has lost authority.
But in her speech she wants an extension until 22/5 which the EU will not grant because then the UK would not be able to hold EU elections at the same time as the rest of the EU if there was a third extension or we revoke. So I assume that the extension will be until 2020 if the EU grants it, which I think is doubtful.

Indeed i doubt that even this eu will allow an extension to the eve of the euro elections.
The 2020 thing will be also problematic, for all parties.
Maybe May can just hold a final barrage of votes and pass some kind of deal based on her own stupid plan, with some labour votes too.

Indeed i doubt that even this eu will allow an extension to the eve of the euro elections.
The 2020 thing will be also problematic, for all parties.
Maybe May can just hold a final barrage of votes and pass some kind of deal based on her own stupid plan, with some labour votes too.

With signing the Withdrawal deal, the EU elections are not needed anymore: no issue.

But whether Corbyn steps in... that is the question.

If he does not, May could head for an election, blaming Corbyn for blocking...

The story continues

Bombs have been placed on two railway lines with pro Brexit messages attached.

Added

From Guardian

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...rail-lines-suspected-pro-brexit-sabotage-plot

Those weren't bombs. From your article:

"The devices would not have led to permanent damage or loss of life, but were meant to cause disruption, police said. Services were unaffected. Detectives were looking for the offenders before try strike again or injure themselves."

Btw, nice grammar, Guardian.
For all you know the "devices" were just a brick with a note on it.

God, no, not another extension. Please, can we get rid of this toxic island already?

They're welcome to rejoin once they get their s**t together.
Welcome to the club :D

It seems likely that you are correct. A device suggests more than an obstruction such as a brick but it could have just been a red light.

What I read was that the devices were designed to send a danger signal down the tracks and cause the trains to stop, necessitating manual inspection of the tracks. This suggested familiarity with the workings of the rail system and so they were looking into whether the culprits were employed by the rail services.

That's a parody, right? Surely there isn't a real 'senior researcher on drug policy' named 'Mary Jaine.'
Nah, but the UK has a real problem with drugs as a result of social disintegration so it's believable. :(

Hah. Boris is now complaining that inviting Labour to negotiate a Brexit deal means that the public won't get what they were promised when they voted to leave. Most people weren't going to get that regardless of Labour's inclusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom