British Multiculturalism

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welsh seems cool.

Values don't work like that.
The one who pushes their values the hardest will win out. In our age of moral relativism we are too wimpy to assert anything. A confidant hard civilisation like the people who come from Islamic nations will dominate in such an environment.
If that were true then moral relativism could have never taken hold in the first place. :crazyeye:

The Irish language documentary I just watched on BBC Two Northern Ireland about the treasures of ancient Ulster would disagree with you (it was subtitled in English)
The non-English-language BBC channels actually have some good documentaries. I think it's because they're not trying to impress anybody, like most TV documentaries seem to be.

(I mean, on BBC Alba they're mostly about fishing villages, but still better than the four billionth documentary about Hitler VIII and his Roman pyramids.)

Despite appearances, it's actually quite an easy language to learn to speak, because it's completely phonetic. And I mean completely, 100% phonetic. The alphabet is actually just the sound the letters make, so if you learn the alphabet, you can literally say any word in Welsh out loud without much practice. It looks difficult because some of the letters are pronounced differently to most other European languages, and because some "letters" are made up of two characters (e.g. "ll" is actually a letter, but is symbolically represented as "double-L"; "ch" is also a letter, symbolically represented as "ch"; etc). I'm assuming that in previous incarnations of the language, those double letters would have had their own unique symbol, in the same way as the thorn in English turned into "th". Even where there are consonant mutations, (such as dropping the "a" from "ag ogo goch"), those mutations are made explicit in the language, rather than having to be inferred by experience as in English

Anyway, point is, it looks difficult, but it's actually astonishingly easy to speak Welsh.
Scottish Gaelic is very much the same. My girlfriend has learned a bit of it, and while she'd struggle to keep up with a two-year old when it comes to the actual language, she can read the words without any difficulty.

I'd also like to point out that Welsh is the true language of the native Britons, and all you foreigners are polluting our pure, native culture :gripe:
Observations:
  • There are some old Celtic myths about invading the archipelago…
  • You weren't even born in Wales! If it were up to Quackers, you should be sent back to India or Africa or wherever you came from.
The non-English-language BBC channels actually have some good documentaries. I think it's because they're not trying to impress anybody, like most TV documentaries seem to be.

(I mean, on BBC Alba they're mostly about fishing villages, but still better than the four billionth documentary about Hitler VIII and his Roman pyramids.)

Traitorfishy said:
Scottish Gaelic is very much the same. My girlfriend has learned a bit of it, and while she'd struggle to keep up with a two-year old when it comes to the actual language, she can read the words without any difficulty.
You should follow her example, my young padawan. It is a wonderful language.

P.S. does she have any friends you can hook me up with?

I'd also like to point out that Welsh is the true language of the native Britons, and all you foreigners are polluting our pure, native culture :gripe:
there's a linguistic argument that it's actually an import from ireland

well sir, since this is england, nobody really asks you whether you like a club or not

now go back into the coal mine

I'll now stand up for Quackers since he's been banned. Anyone that wants to talk mean about him has to get through me first. :mad:

Yes, Marxists are huge enemies of free speech, along with neo-nazis.

I'll now stand up for Quackers since he's been banned. Anyone that wants to talk mean about him has to get through me first. :mad:

He was banned?

Why would you defend him? You're the son of immigrants, the very people he wants to keep out. :confused:

He was banned?

Why would you defend him? You're the son of immigrants, the very people he wants to keep out. :confused:

I do think there is a major difference between multiculturalism and immigration debates. Multiculturalism debates can apply to indigenous populations (i.e. Scots in Britain) and not apply to immigrants (assimilated 1st generation migrants to the US). However, it is true that in practice the two are confused because of overlap, which is rather sad and logically incoherent.

He was banned?

Because in spite of that Quackers has always been very nice to me, unlike several of you, especially those of you that are hard on Quackers, the friendly frog.

Moderator Action: A few posts deleted and some infractions given. Cease the discussion about other posters and return to the topic of the thread.

Plotinus worked out nothing of the sort. You missed his point. He deliberately included demonstrably false assumptions in order for this number to be as alarmist as possible. In reality, predicting fertility rates and such after 100 years is pretty much impossible.

Communalism is not a good thing, I agree.

I've only just come across this thread. Thank you for making this clarification so quickly. It's very alarming to see Quackers still misunderstanding what I was trying to say in that post years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom