Civ 5 Icon Competition - Final Round!

Which icon shoudl be adopted by CFC as the Civ 5 Icon?

• [img]http://forums.civfanatics.com/images/icons/civ5/entries/entry69.gif[/img]

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Wow, you got hate mail? Lol that's harsh.

I guess some people are really hard up for ciV news. They need to fill their time somehow. :lol:

Wow. The loser won. Wasn't it Tom petty that said sometimes the losers get lucky.

I voted for the single V. The icon that won just looks too much like CIV. Even the Civ5 would have been better.

Judges decision is final and no correspondence will be entered in to.
Let's hope, then, that the judge's decision is to have a further runoff! :D ;)

(Even if it is just a runoff of CiV, civ5, and V, the double digit vote getters)

It is too bad that the lovers of the CiV motif didn't rally around #18 ... that seems distinct enough from the civ 4 icon. Maybe because it was shown smaller than the rest? :mischief: :lol:

dV

Well, I cast my vote and thought I was done with the whole affair.

Surprisingly enough I didn't care about it until I got PMed by a few people about how I shouldn't be using ciV. This in addition to certain other people going off topic to chastise me for using ciV in my posts.
So, that annoyed me sufficiently. I really am not bothered about the results as much as some of the childishness going on from the Civ 5 lobby. That's not to say all of the people. Just some of the people who think they have to tell other people what to do.

I was one to go off topic once to point out why I didn't think it should be used but definitely didn't chastise you for it, so I hope you're not hinting at me about that. I'm surprised anyone has PM'd you about it but I guess that does indicate that people are appealing to you fairly strongly.
If anyone is actually harrassing you about it through posts or PM, I think you should go ahead and report them, tbh.
If people are really bothered by it, can you not tell them to add you to their ignore list? That would in effect force them to "put up or shut up", if I recall that idiom correctly.

Colorblind people will have a hard time figuring the icons, but i guess they're only used inside the subforums, so maybe it's not that much problem.

Whatever the case, I am just looking forward to ciV or Civ V or Civ 5 when it comes out. I think we all are.

I am hereby burying the hatchet.

Now where is some truly new information about the object of our fondest desires...

Colorblind people will have a hard time figuring the icons, but i guess they're only used inside the subforums, so maybe it's not that much problem.

I think the inability to discriminate yellow from white is extremely rare.

Congrats to the winner. :goodjob:

Right:

First off, Congratulations to ancestral for creating the winning entry!

I have now added this - it is coded as [Civ5] - [civ5].

I can't believe we did that to ourselves. Now we should speculate on all the ways this will bring disaster upon the civ community.

Ok, joe player downloads a mod for [civ4], fires up his new [civ5], and then comes here and screams "Waaaaaa, this mod doesn't work at all!" and all we can do is...

www.sadtrombone.com

I can't believe we did that to ourselves. Now we should speculate on all the ways this will bring disaster upon the civ community.

Ok, joe player downloads a mod for [civ4], fires up his new [civ5], and then comes here and screams "Waaaaaa, this mod doesn't work at all!" and all we can do is...

www.sadtrombone.com

Yep. You're right.

A popularity contest should not be the deciding factor for something that serves a purpose other than "be popular".

The purpose of the icon is to easily distinguish between the versions of Civ in a small graphic. It fails at its only purpose.

No problem ... we can just vote it out in the next election, right? How long is the term of office ... 4 years?

(Just kidding :lol:)

Seriously ... if it fails to perform its job, it can be impeached, right?

(Still kidding ... :lol:)

Really seriously ... we just have to "Follow the Golden V, and not the Yellow Sea"

(Now that sounds a bit Zappa-esque, doesn't it?) ;)

dV

This poll will stand as a monument of the disregard or ignorance by some in the civfanatics community of the basic principle "Form follows function".

It also serves as a perfect example of why elections that allow the biggest minority to win are problematic.

I'm not complaining or calling for a revote or anything of the sort but I honestly find the acceptance of the result by the admins surprising. Then again, [civ5] is the one TF voted for so I can imagine why there'd be no sympathy for the "complainers" in this thread.

By the way, the poll result can also be interpreted as a failure by the people who dislike the [civ5] icon to realise they needed to rally on a single candidate. That said, they may not have anticipated such large support (albeit only about 20%) for a single icon.

In any case, as I said earlier, fascinating result! :D Think I'm gonna play some [civ4] while waiting for [civ5].

.....they may not have anticipated such large support .... for a single icon

Yes it seemed rather suspicious in fact. I was surprised when a large number of votes for the winner all went up on the same day. Hmm .. a quick random sample of 10 names shows number of previous posts ...

7 -- 0 -- 20 -- 7 -- 0 -- 8 -- 1242 -- 1390 -- 25 --56

That's 20% who joined CivFananatics just to vote on this poll. :eek:

I demand a fresh ballot !

Top Bottom