1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

CiVUP - CiV Unofficial Patch

Discussion in 'Communitas Expansion Pack' started by Thalassicus, Oct 2, 2010.

1. TheAdipose

TheAdipose Chieftain

I tried a forum search on this but couldnt find anything. Has anyone tried these mods with GMR for multiplayer? I tried it earlier but got a crash. I dont know if its the mod, me, GMR, or any other variable!

Any assistance appreciated, and thanks for making and supporting these mods.
    Adi

2. Thalassicus

Thalassicus Bytes and Nibblers

@TheAdipose
    Some people have successfully played mods in hotseat multiplayer, but unfortunately I do not know details. I started a new thread to find out more information for you: here

3. Fog.Gene

Fog.Gene Chieftain

Hi,

I'm using CivUp and GEM in a new game. Just those two mods.

Edit: updated with correct info

I'm having a problem with early, ancient era barbarian Hunters (chariot archers) do not display combat animations. Either attacking them or defending doesn't show any combat animation. They also seem to be able to move after attacking (is this normal? In vanilla an attack consumed all moves from my chariots, but I don't know if this is an improvement from the mod). Melee and regular on-foot archers' animations seem to work fine.

*My proper chariot archer units are also affected, so it must be something related to that unit type.​

Civup_Options.sql is set as it shows in the code below:

Code:
    INSERT INTO Civup (Type, Value) VALUES ('PLAY_COMBAT_ANIMATIONS', 1);
    The only other lines I've changed are these, from 0.5 to 1.0, because I like the vanilla slower movement speed.

Code:
    UPDATE MovementRates SET
    TotalTime			= 1.0 * TotalTime,
    EaseIn				= 1.0 * EaseIn,
    EaseOut				= 1.0 * EaseOut,
    IndividualOffset	= 1.0 * IndividualOffset,
    RowOffset			= 1.0 * RowOffset;

Great mod so far btw, thank you for making it.

4. mystikx21

mystikx21 Deity

Chariots are a separate and new combat class in the mod. New combat class animations cannot be set by mods at this time. I am pretty sure if you just used civup, submarines would also be affected. This is mostly for sorting out promotions (ranged versus melee).

Move after attack on chariots is intended and also from the mod. Helps make them more useful like other mobile units.

5. Fog.Gene

Fog.Gene Chieftain

I'm not sure I'm understanding you correctly. Chariot archers and their animations are present in the vanilla game (Civ5 or G&K, don't if they were included later in the expansion). Their animations were playing correctly then.

More info (also updated above): The barbarian unit is called 'Hunter', but at this point I also have a proper chariot archer unit myself and their animations are not set either.

Edit: Now that I got the proper unit name I searched for it and I've seen you answering the same question before (kudos to your patience). I'm gonna assume I have indeed misunderstood you, although I still have no clue what it is you tried to explain. I'm guessing (probably wrongly), that the author could not reuse the existing Chariot Archer class from the game to suit his purposes, so he had to set a new class that looks the same but cannot use the old animation?

How convoluted, the art of modding.

6. mitsho

mitsho Deity

No. I haven't looked it up but I assumed so far that the Chariot Archers (and Keshiks and Hunnish Horse Archers) belonged to the Mounted Unit Class and not the Mounted Archer Unit Class (which didn't exist). By splitting them into two unit classes, you can specialize them better (promotions, priorities, buildings that add xp: See Temple of Artemis vs. Stable).

There's a difference btw. between unit and unit class which I always thought was a strange way to program it anyways, since some units change unit class on upgrade for example. (Sorry if that was clear before).

7. mystikx21

mystikx21 Deity

No worries, it's a common question and an old bug.

Chariot Archers were in the normal combat class in the vanilla game. They are changed in GEM. A combat class is like the following: Melee, mounted, ranged (archers), siege, melee ship, ranged ship, and so on. It's not the unit type (in this case, Chariot Archer or Barbarian Hunter, also later in the game War Elephants, Keshiks, Camel Archers, and Horse Archers).

It has no effect on the unit's appearance or its base stats to change the combat class of a unit, and if its changed to an existing combat class, it will still use animations (for example, GEM moves submarines and destroyers and ironclads to different roles, and those should all still work). What it does allow is that you can set up appropriate promotions (submarines wouldn't get useless land bombardment promotions, mobile archers could get range promotions, etc), properly swap promotions when the unit is upgraded (so they don't keep useless ranged promotions as a melee unit or vice versa), and so on.

The downside of that is that we can't link a new combat class with combat animations. Since it only effects in civup submarines and mobile archers (the two combat classes that didn't exist in the vanilla game), it's kind of a minor issue versus fixing the game play issues that are otherwise involved. I think people have considered putting carriers in that list too.

8. Thalassicus

Here are some details: click

9. Fog.Gene

Fog.Gene Chieftain

Thanks for the in-depth explanation, it makes much more sense now. I've also learned, from the link above, that I can revert them to their class by a simple edit in Civup_Misc.sql. But I don't think I'll do it, after all it's only one unit's animation and the changes make sense.

Thal, I guess you're still waiting for the so-called game core. You guys really are patient :p

Edit: I'd like to change something if it's possible in the same easy way. While using those Chariots I feel a little bit overpowered due to their move-after-attack perk. I was using those units extensively before (I play marathon so there's plenty of time) because of their mobility in open field, and now that they can move like that... well, I'm harassing cities and other units like there's no tomorrow. I suppose I could exercise self-restrain, though.

10. Thalassicus

We have access to most of the game core right now, but not the graphics engine, which is where the combat animations appear to reside.

Chariots used to have -2 points lower strength. I buffed them after the Least Useful Early Units poll revealed 2 out of 3 people avoided using chariots, with all promotions same as before.

11. SlightlyMad

SlightlyMad Prince

Is there a list of known bugs somewhere for this mod? I was curious if the bug with happiness beliefs was fixed yet, but don't see it mentioned anywhere in the changelogs.

12. mystikx21

mystikx21 Deity

That one should have been fixed a while ago yes. 1.1.1 ish (it was in the change log for that one, sort of).

It might be nice to have a bug-list of active issues, but updates are still coming out fairly quickly to fix what gets broken. :)

13. Fog.Gene

Fog.Gene Chieftain

Hi, quick question.

I have read that some people, in the non-modded game, experience a bug where unit icons go missing. Does this mod attempt to fix that?

I ask because I'm experiencing an alternate version (plus the missing icons too) where my units are shedding their icons, normally when moving around. They just leave them behind.

It helps a bit if I deactivate unit icons (courtesy of this mod); at least the map doesn't turn into an icon fest. But they still manage to pop in the weirdest places. Cities for example don't allow icon deactivation for garrisoned units.

Anybody else experiencing icon shedding? :p

14. Dunkah

Dunkah Emperor

Not for a long while in this mod.

15. Fog.Gene

Fog.Gene Chieftain

There might be something wrong with my game then. Every time a unit goes from water to land or viceversa they lose the icon, sometimes leaving it behind at the transition spot. Upgrading units, especially in water, is an almost guaranteed lost icon, which then remains permanently in that spot.

16. Fog.Gene

Fog.Gene Chieftain

I think I found where the problem is. It happens when I turn off 'visible promotions' option in the interface. I'm gonna report this at the bugs forum.

17. Kilandor

Kilandor Chieftain

Hello, I am the Developer of the 'City Limits' mod. Your mod has stolen the code with little modification from my mod. I was never contacted or requested for this to be used. On top of that there is no credit or mention at the very least of a contribution by me to this. I request that you remove my code from your mod. This has been the cause and problem with my mod frequently being reported as broken.

I realize even with removal my mod will not work with yours likely Without adjustments however I am willing to work and provide compatibility.

https://github.com/Thalassicus/civu...face_Branches/_Mods/CityLimits/CityLimits.lua
    Is the file in question

This is my mod
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=80071068

You can compare by subscribing and downloading or http://pastebin.com/TUkYLqWt

18. ExpiredReign

ExpiredReign Deity

I hope I'm not speaking out of line here.

Since Thal is taking a break for a while let me offer this.

I'm sure it is was not a case of "stealing". Yes it is your code that is incorporated into CivUp. As is the case with a lot of other great mods. Most likely Thal simply forgot to include your name in the credits on the Wiki and the mod Readme.

Would the inclusion of your name in the credits assuge your anger?

I can guarantee that no malice or offence was intended by this oversight.

19. albie_123

albie_123 Modding In Secret

Yeah, this seems very strange, Thal usually contacts + credits those that go into the overall code of GEM.

We could easily change the wiki to credit you, if that's all you'd like.

20. Kilandor

Kilandor Chieftain

This is the thing though anyone who would consider him or herself reputable would contact the author for permission. I'm online steam everyday, even if had friend request and didn't accept for some reason cause I didn't know who it was or A comment on my Mod's page could have been left. I've read everyone as they come in.

Which would surprise me being clearly he appears to be fully reputable well known member around here, 10k+ posts, etc. The only other possibility is that if someone else collaborating and included my mod without taking the proper steps.

Either way as long as its removed from the mod I will have no problems and even work with him to find a simple way to allow my mod to work with his. Since the way he handles hex highlights breaks mine alone if UP is installed.

I mean had I been asked I would have likely worked something out or let it have been used no problem, but what is done is done now.

Bottom line if Thal will get with me and contact me we can talk and work it out.