CT6 - Just another Emperor SG

Pre-Turn:
Checked trades.
Traded 81g and Masonry to the Scandavians for Bronze Working.

Turn 1:
Nothing of interest

Turn 2:
Nothing of interest (again)

Turn 3:
Finish philosphy, start work on map making, complete it, start work on Lit. (Science advisor is happy)
Checked Trades.
Traded philsophy to the Russians for 50g and Warrior Code.
Traded philsophy to the Scandavians for 120g and Iron Working.
We have a source of Iron to the north of Yaxchilan (already hooked up)
The city of Bonampak is founded. Starts work on worker.

Turn 4:
Set Palenque to The Great Lighthouse, figure we can pre-build for the GL, or just keep it there if we want.

Turn 5:
Nothing of interest (again)

Turn 6:
THe city of Lagartero is founded. Starts work on Spearman.

Turn 7:
Nothing

Turn 8:
Nothing

Turn 9:
Quirigua is founded. Starts work on Spearman.

Turn 10:
Nothing, really

Save

ok, DeceasedHorse is up, with Scop on deck!

preturn: Tech Check: Carthage is up Mysticism, Russia is behind Iron working and map making but has horseback riding. Let's see what Cathy researches next before making a trade.

Turn 1: Not much goes on.

Turn 2: Palenque Riots :mad: sorry. Lux tax up to 20%, lose a turn on literature. Move a warrior out of Copan to sere as a second MP in Palenque. Various civs demand we move our Currags out of their waters.

Turn 3: Chicken builds a settler, starts another. Settle Calakmul in the now-cleared spot in the wetlands. Needs lots of worker help, but should be a decent city (well, compared to all our desert cities!) Check turns; It is currently turn 85, so I guess I will take a short turn again.

Turn 4: Yaxchilian builds galley, starts barracks. Warrior reaches Palenque, lux tax cannot be lowered yet. Viks and Carthage now have HB as well as mysticism. Will see what lit will get us.

Turn 5: Not much

Turn 6: Carthage really has ridiculously good land.

Turn 7: not much

IBT: The Viks. begin the Great Lighthouse

Turn 8: Found Lazapa, starts warrior

Summary: Carthage is really getting scary. Russia is patheticly weak and should fall to us before the anchient age ends.

The Desert Island of the Mayans

I was posting this while DH was playing, so I hope it's not entirely obsolete :).

I note that our military is pretty weak compared to everyone else. Perhaps we should make a few MP troops so we don't get picked on so much? Also, it might be a good idea to think about working on the invasion of Russia. They don't have iron working yet, so it's hard to say whether or not they have iron (though I'd doubt it, given the lack of visible hills)... but they do have horseback riding without horses. If we got that, and then used horseback riding to get Carthage's mysticism, we could get in pretty good shape.

Addendum: Well, foo. Carthage and Scandanavia have mysticism and horseback riding already, so no trade for that :undecide:. Still, HBR is available for trade from Russia.

Anyway, I might be able to play soon but I want to take care of something else first. So this isn't a "got it" exactly, but I will take my turn in a reasonable amount of time.

I made a rather serious error; I could have gotten two-fer, trading map making to Russia for Horseback Riding, and then trading HB to Carthage for mysticism. Very stupid of me, and I hope it doesn't happen again. Based on the tech prices (I would only have to throw in a pittance of gold +HB riding to get mysticism) I figured that Hannibal wouldn't be very far along on his research; maybe the vikings got it and traded to him. I'm still new at playing this difficulty level and the AI catches me off guard sometimes with how fast it can research and build things, for all its moronic behavior and build choices.

Fair enough. It's not the end of the world. I'm going to wait a little on getting HBR until the Russians can pay full market value... which apparently is on the first turn.

ObCheck: Looks good. I hope our effort on the great lighthouse ends up being useful, but I see no reason to change it yet. Probably should try to get some more shields out of the town though.

IBT: Moscow creates the pyramids, and Lisbon creates the oracle. Carthage starts on the lighthouse, but Constantinople gets it. Err... well, we can switch to the great library next turn.

730 BC (1):
Quirigua: worker->worker. This city is going to need some irrigation soon, so I'll be working on that.
Trade Map Making for HBR and 27 gold. Speaking of trading, we don't have any embassies. Better to use the gold before it gets extorted :)

Moscow is size 6, has 4 regular spears and a settler, the pyramids as previously stated, and no resources of any kind. Has an empty temple in construction. 3/7/0 commerce rate.

Trondheim is size 3, has 2 regular spears, a barracks, a temple, a few shields toward the great lighthouse.... 6 wines, and 1 iron. 2/8/0 commerce rate.

Carthage is size 5, 2 regular nuhmidians, a lot of shields on the great lighthouse, 1 horses and 6 silks.

Okay, if we can take this island, I think we should. That's a LOT of trade fodder, considering there's 12 civs. Although Russia should go first, because they'll be an easy target.

Send the curraghs on the west coast of Carthage up north, to see if there's anything to that sea area.

IBT: Scandanavia and Carthage start on the mausoleum.

710 BC (2): We get literature, and start on Code of Laws; for Republic and because the AI seems to value Mathematics now more than it did. Palenque switches to the great library, due in 84. Eww. I'll send some workers that way quickly.

690 BC (3): Not much, just some exploring.

670 BC (4): Bonampak: worker->barracks. Continue to explore. And apparently I was correct, because Carthage and Scandanavia are now up math, too. But I'm not going to trade them literature just yet...

650 BC (5): Tikal riots? I could have sworn it was fine last turn. Ugh :(. Make a tax man, until the temple is done next turn. Lazapa: warrior->worker.

630 BC (6): Chichen: settler->spearman, Tikal: temple->barracks, Yaxchilan: barracks->spearman. Should start making troops soon, but I want to get some mp going in yax first. And no, there's nothing to the sea by Stavanger... let's hope the curragh doesn't sink. Send the new settler up to the NE settling spot on Chieftess's map. We're drawing a deficit so I'll put 10% into tax. CoL goes from 10 to 12 turns, but we're making +2 gpt.

IBT: Rotterdam makes the Statue of Zeus. The curragh sinks, but the galley I sent north hasn't sunk, and might be onto something. The vikings send a galley to our shores... so I can assume the Russians won't be unknown to only us for long.

610 BC (7): Exploring. I think I see coastline...

IBT: Carthage demands literature. I decide not to give in because we need this tech to trade, and he declares war. Doh. Time to build up the defenses. I hope this doesn't end too badly for us. Amsterdam makes the Temple of Artemis, Tenochtitlan makes the mausoleum. And our galley dies. Fun!

590 BC (8): Lagartero: spearman->spearman. War happiness doesn't help enough to allow luxuries to be reduced. I swich Quirigua to a spearman from a worker. At least Carthage doesn't have any resources. We still have a curragh in their waters, so I'll use it to hit galleys that try to invade.

IBT: Vikings drop a settler on the 3 tile island SW of us. Oh well, so much for that spot.

570 BC (9): Not much.

IBT: some ship movement... a Byzantine dromon approaches from the north! They're also up math and mysticism. I establish an embassy. Constantinople is size 5, has 4 spears, 2 settlers, and a dromon; a temple and the great lighthouse, 1 incense, 1 gems, 1 iron, 1 horses. Harbor due in 1. 2/8/0 commerce rate. Looks like they border the indians as well. I think we should make some more galleys soon to explore up north and meet some new people.

550 BC (10): Lazapa: worker->spearman. Kaminaljuyu founded on the prescribed spot, starts on a spearman. Might want to reinforce it through someone else first though, if carthage actually does something. I note the Vikings have indeed founded Odense on the small island.

Summary: well, we're at war, but with someone across the water, so it's not likely we'll be seeing a ton of action from them. I hope that doesn't end up being a killer. A few cities have spears due in 3 or less turns, and I think we should work on defense for now... we'll need a good number of spears to make a landing on Russia anyway. CoL due in 8. We have literature over everyone still. Not sure if we should keep it that way; look what trying to keep it that way led to! :undecide: I hope this doesn't ruin the game. Here's the new map:

And here's the save.

Odense... :lol: How true! ;)

The AI is O-so-dense that they build a city that might flip to us... Anyway, this is gonna be an interesting game. Should we gang up on Russia first? (since the Carthagians have a 2/3/1 UU). Don't know if Russia has any iron.

1 - Chieftess (On Deck)
2 - Strider
3 - DeceasedHorse
4 - Scop (finished)
5 - Riccett (Now Playing)

Ok, Riccett's up!

Originally posted by Chieftess
Anyway, this is gonna be an interesting game. Should we gang up on Russia first? (since the Carthagians have a 2/3/1 UU). Don't know if Russia has any iron.

Well, from our world map, you can see that Russia has no visible hills/mountains or resources of any kind (on the map or at the trade table). And there's hardly any squares of Russia's land we haven't seen. I'd be surprised if they did have iron.

I just hope Carthage's threats are pretty empty. Perhaps we should get a harbor and trade with Scandanavia to lower the chance that they get involved?

Pre turn:

MM a little, everything else looks fine.

IBT:
- Yax Spear -> Sword
- Calakmul Spear -> Sword

Turn #1 530 bc:

- Wake vet warrior in Calakmul and sent him to the undefended city of Kaminal.... (can't read my own writing. lol)

IBT:
- Nothing of interest

Turn #2 510 bc:

- Workers work

IBT:
- Chichen Itza Spear -> Barracks
- Copan Temple -> Galley
- Tikal Barracks -> Sword

Turn #3 490 bc:

- Science to 60%, CoL in 4 still

IBT:
- Byzantines and Aztecs sign a MA vs Netherlands
- Carthage galley shows up next to Palenque

Turn #4 470 bc:

- Yax vet spear sent towards Palenque, just in case
- Whip a Sword in Yax because we don't have a single offensive unit.
- Science to 50% CoL in 3
- Hire a Scientist in Yax for happiness.

IBT:
- Yax Sword -> Sword
- Cart gally going around our island clockwise.

Turn #5 450 bc:

- Yax Sword sent to shadow Cart galley
- Spear back in Yax
- Fire Scientist.
- Spear from Chichen Itza sent to shadow Cart galley because most of our coastal cities are guarded by warriors.

IBT:
- Cart galley continues with no drop off.

Turn #6 430 bc:

- Science stays at 50%, CoL in 1
- We still have our Literature monopoly with known civs

IBT:
- CoL completes, start Republic @70% in 38
- Copan boarders pop
- Cart galley continues, still no landing

Turn #7 410 bc:

- Lux to 30% to keep all of Palenque's citizens working on the GL
- We have a monopoly on Literature and CoL

IBT:
- Tikal Sword -> Sword
- 2nd Cart galley appears 1 tile south of Quiriqua
- Still no drop off from first Cart galley

Turn #8 390 bc:

- Vet Spear in Yax sent towards Quiriqua just incase drop off from 2nd Cart galley.
- Scientist hired in Yax to keep the people happy. They are still pissed at me for "encouraging" them to finish that sword quicker.

IBT:
- Carthage starts the Great Wall
- 1st Cart galley drops a Reg warrior next to Copan. lol Unfortunately for the Carts, he is also right next to our shadowing vet swordsman. Must be a future resourse in the deserts of Copan if of all cities, thats the one they want first. Traveled all the way around our island to get there. Idiots. hehe
- 2nd Cart galley moves 2 tiles south of Lazapa, next to our returning Curragh.

Turn #9 370 bc:

- Vet Curragh vs Reg Galley -> we redline their galley only to lose 4 straight and die. God that pisses me off!!!!
- Vet Sword vs Reg warrior -> we win unharmed and promote to elite. :goodjob:
- Notice second iron source, I didn't realize we had. Warrior in Bonampak wakes to disconnect it. Why was it hooked up???

IBT:

- Copan Galley -> Galley
- damaged 2nd Cart galley heads back to home.
- 1st Cart galley continues on after drop off and is 1 tile east of Bonampak.

Turn #10 350 bc:

- Galley sent north to find the rest of the unknown civs hopefully
- Science to 60% Republic in 32 instead of 28, but we are now 0 gpt where we had been a -4gpt.
- Scientist fired in Yax, Spear back MP'ing.
- Shadowing Spear into Bonampak

Time for some trades. Now that Carthage has Construction (they are building the GW) I don't see us holding our monopolies much longer.

Trade Peace and CoL to Carthage for Peace, Mysticism, Mathmatics and 207 gold.

Trade CoL and Literature to Byzntines for Polytheism and 70 gold.

Trade Literature, Polytheism and 250 gold to Carthage for Construction.

We now only need Currancy to get to the Middle Ages.

Tech Situation:

- Carthage has 397 gold and tech parity
- Russia has 0 gold and we are up Iron Working, Mysticism, Mathmatics, CoL and Literature. Kinda surprised to see that they had Construction already yet hadn't traded it off to pick up all its missing techs.
- Vikings have 77 gold and we are up CoL, Literature, Polytheism and Construction.
- Byzantines have 0 gold and we are up Construction.

Roster
1 - Chieftess (now playing)
2 - Strider (on deck)
3 - DeceasedHorse
4 - Scop
5 - Riccett (finished)

Good peace negotiation. But I wonder why you killed the second iron hookup? Not only does that make us more resilient to resource depletion (just in case it DOES happen, we'll have another online), but we can trade it later. The expected value of one of them going away is 400 turns (with a 1/800 chance of depletion), but both of them going away is a lot more than 800 turns (because when one does, the other still has only a 1/800 chance to go away, so the expected value is something like 1200 turns). Granted, having both going one at a time is even better, but interruptions in usage are best avoided. I'm sure it will work out fine as you have done it, though.

Also, someone should consider swapping Palenque's warriors for spearmen, especially if Palenque manages to build something good. Oddly enough, only we are constructing the Great Library (that we know of), and only Carthage is build a wonder. We may still be able to get the Great Library. Could we be so lucky?

Having both Iron sourses hooked up is no value to us at all. The only thing that can come of it is depletion. No point in lossing one of the sourses for no reason. We won't be trading it any time soon anyways.

I suggest we use the GL as a prebuild for something else. We are tech co-leaders right now and I really don't see us falling behind on that as long as we trade properly.

You can skip me this round. I had a lot of unexpected stuff to do today.

I'll be interested in your next SG. I haven't played one and I am currently playing emperor (with a few victories, but not all). Let me know when there is a chance. :D

BTW: I am more familar with Pangea than Archipelago (so I am less used to sea exploration), but I plan to play one in my next game.

Hope everything easies up for ya Chieftess

Roster
1 - Chieftess (skipped)
2 - Strider (now playing)
3 - DeceasedHorse (on deck)
4 - Scop
5 - Riccett

just an FYI, i might need a skip or 2 coming up as I am finishing classes this week and will be moving. I will keep you all updated though.

yeah, I was hoping to play yesterday after going to the dentist, but my mom decided to take me out ot lunch at my grandmother's house, then went shopping...

I'm up heh, ok playing now then.

Save

Pre-turn:
Check Trades:
No Trades Found

Turn 1:
Scandavia demanded construction from us, I refused.
Vikings declare war.
Switched Yaxchilian from swordsmen to galley, going to attempt to take Odense from the Viking's before peace.

Turn 2:
Nothing important

Turn 3:
Started moving warriors out of some of our cities and upgrading them to swordsmen.

Turn 4:
Galley from Yaxchilian is completed. Odense should fall this set of turns.

Turn 5:
Start moving troops to prepare for the attack against russia, locating all troops down by Lazapa.
Checked Trades:
Byzantines have currency, but no one else does, they aren't willing to trade it.

Turn 6:
Land troops by odense, load another swordsmen onto the galley just incase.
Odense should fall next turn.

Turn 7:
Viking galley appears by Palenque. Sending a swordsmen to re-inforce that city.
Odense falls with no loses. Switching Yaxchilian from a galley to a settler to build a city there. The Vikings lose a galley.
Go to the vikings for peace. We manage to get 86g out of the deal.

Turn 8:
Nothing Important

Turn 9:
The damn carthage settles in the old Odense spot before I could get a settler on the island. Damn it anyway.

Turn 10:
We have 2 galley's filled with 4 swordsmen total, and another galley coming up from the Odense battle, with 2 swordsmen waiting to be loaded into it. It's the next players choice if 6 swordsmen is enough to launch an assualt.

Top Bottom