• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

[RD] Daily Graphs and Charts

Status
Not open for further replies.
The low hanging fruit has been taken. Muscle power accounts for very little of the work people do. The making of physical things takes ever less of our total work, and the delivery of services ever more.

I'm not pessimistic in terms of what productivity improvements are possible in the future. But to a large extent they probably won't be as easy to come by. And the expansion of the effective borders of the economy to mean that it really no longer has borders is a big negative for the productivity of the leading nations. As many of the jobs that could have rising productivity instead don't, because they have falling wages instead.

Wikipedia noticed the same thing, but can't explain why.
It remains the worst year in history for aviation disasters: among the crashes were Japan Airlines Flight 123, killing 520 people; Air India Flight 182, killing 329; Arrow Air Flight 1285, killing 256; Aeroflot Flight 7425, killing 200; Iberia Airlines Flight 610, killing 148; Delta Air Lines Flight 191, killing 137; Galaxy Airlines Flight 203, killing 70; and British Airtours Flight 28M, killing 55. A collision between Aeroflot Flight SSSR-65856 and a Soviet Air Forces transport plane kills 94, a hijacking of Egyptair Flight 648 results in 60 fatalities, and various crashes and other incidents kill fewer than 50 people each. August 1985 remains the worst single month for commercial aviation fatalities in history.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1985_in_aviation

The problem with that is that the majority of casualties come from very small numbers of events. Just each event affects a large number of people. So you can get what appears to be large fluctuations.

JAF 123 is harrowing. I don't remember that even though I should. I was into planes, being 13. Also, I didn't know a 747 could hold that many people :eek:

Good point Cutlass.

West Coast is again, best coast.

It's so sad that people can't just let each other pursue happiness.

Brazil has the most valuable team in the WC, a full 10 times more expensive than the US team, and more valuable than all other teams of Group A combined. The only teams that come close are Spain, Argentina and Germany (in this order). Let's see if market value will translate into results...

Spoiler :

Strange actually, considering clubs tend to scout Brazil for cheap players, have feeder/affiliate clubs there, and buy under part ownership deals rather than outright etc etc.

Having said that, I wonder about the valuation method. Are they going by the price at last transfer? Or are they going by some estimate of market value as of today? How are they valuing Messi, for instance? Spain and Germany have a lot of players who, like Messi, joined a top club at youth level and stayed there their whole careers, meaning that they've never had a "market value" at all.

EDIT: Lol Wales would be worth more than ~1/3rd of those national sides :lol:

Strange actually, considering clubs tend to scout Brazil for cheap players, have feeder/affiliate clubs there, and buy under part ownership deals rather than outright etc etc.

Having said that, I wonder about the valuation method. Are they going by the price at last transfer? Or are they going by some estimate of market value as of today? How are they valuing Messi, for instance?

Hm, most players on the Brazilian team are international superstars who were bought by fortunes. Neymar alone was probably bought for more than the worth of some entire national teams (if we consider the full value of the transaction and not the understated value Barcelona released to dodge taxes and other fees). It makes a lot of sense that Brazil has the most expensive team.

But it's a a fair question about valuation method. This calculation was done by a proper sports consulting firm, not the newspaper, so I reckon they used some market value estimate as opposed to last transfer, which would be very inaccurate.

Edit: They claim those to be "market values", so I'm pretty sure they did that and not last transaction.

Having said that, I wonder about the valuation method. Are they going by the price at last transfer? Or are they going by some estimate of market value as of today? How are they valuing Messi, for instance? Spain and Germany have a lot of players who, like Messi, joined a top club at youth level and stayed there their whole careers, meaning that they've never had a "market value" at all.

Try typing names of players or teams in transfermarkt.

Hm, most players on the Brazilian team are international superstars who were bought by fortunes. Neymar alone was probably bought for more than the worth of some entire national teams (if we consider the full value of the transaction and not the understated value Barcelona released to dodge taxes and other fees). It makes a lot of sense that Brazil has the most expensive team.

But it's a a fair question about valuation method. This calculation was done by a proper sports consulting firm, not the newspaper, so I reckon they used some market value estimate as opposed to last transfer, which would be very inaccurate.

Edit: They claim those to be "market values", so I'm pretty sure they did that and not last transaction.
What about the contract release clauses? Messi's has been periodically raised, the last time I heard his was €250,000,000.
You laugh, but if they can automate lawyers, I don't know what I would do for a job. And I'm not a lawyer.
You could always go back to being a mod.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom