Dawn of Civilization - an RFC modmod by Leoreth

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am by no means an expert of Moroccan geography, but I travelled there last year and if that area is supposed to be grassland, then I've misunderstood something quite fundamental about the different civ terrain types. Some of the desert in the area could maybe be turned into plains instead, but grassland? No way.

For me rivers representing straits is the opposite of aesthetically pleasing.

Well, I'm not sure what monstrosities your computer renders them as, but for me they're essential. I can't play a game without them solely because of the aesthetic value. It's like OCD or something. Although they do look bad if placed the wrong way, so maybe that's what you're seeing. I don't think that there's an easy way for me to permanently alter the map (I have no idea how to make large scale changes in Notepad).

This is what I would like to see. Bear in mind these are just suggestions, but I can't stand having to put it all in every time I play a game:

1. Rivers between Anatolia/Thrace (1E of Byzantion, N/S), Italy/Sicily (S/N), and Japan/Hokkaido (E/W). Sicily's western tile should be grassland.

2. A couple of river tiles should be placed to represent the Jordan river. The tiles west of the Jordan should be grassland, and maybe one could have a forest. Jerusalem should be 1S of the lower grassland tile, and should be on a plains hill (seriously... it's hilly over there).

3. Georgia is not a desert. It should be made into a grassland/forest tile; maybe a hill too.

4. Most of the coastland of the Maghreb should be made into grassland. In order to keep it aesthetically pleasing a buffer zone of plains should be placed between it and the desert. There should also be one river tile 1W of Cordoba, and another 1S of Marrakesh.

5. Australia desperately needs a buff. A couple of oases and about three deer around the fringes should do. Realistically, it should have more aluminum and a coal resource, but I'm not sure if that would be good gameplay-wise.

6. The Scandinavians/Vikings should place a city on Greenland. I mean, it shouldn't be totally deserted. Maybe a fish resource?

7. There should be some deer west of the Andes for the Incas. Or not. It seems to make sense to me, though.

8. Possibly put a flood plains on the Colorado River? I'm also thinking about a crab resource by California... but again I don't know how that would affect gameplay. :rolleyes:

9. The mountain ranges in western Canada and Alaska should be a bit more navigable. Also, could there be a seafood resource in the Hudson Bay?

10. There's only one city location in central America that allows passage from ships. You should put jungle on it and remove the jungle from the Panama tile, and put a high priority on it so that a city gets founded quickly. There could also be a mechanic to give you a certain amount of gold for owning historically important straits. For the Red Sea/Mediterranean canal, you could make a fort appear at about 2,000-1,000 BC, which couldn't be touched by workers and gave revenue to whichever civ owned the tile. This could be made into an event for Egypt or the owning civ, in which you had to give a certain amount of gold/resources in order to build it. Obviously the revenue level should depend on which era it is and grow exponentially as ocean trade picks up.

11. I notice that there are plenty of aluminum and uranium deficient areas with important civs. Perhaps you could strategically place these resources in order to provoke wars between those who need it (if the AI can think that way)? If you want a realistic gameplay, you should give uranium to China, Tibet, India, Persia, Britain, and especially in the Kazakhstan region (at least 20% of the world's uranium comes from there, I think). Aluminum should be placed on a Caribbean island, in China, 1NW of the gem resource by the Mandinka spawn (on the coast), on Java, and of course in Australia.

12. Tibet should have more than one city; put in Purang to the west of Rasa. Maybe add some cows or rice to make it growable.

13. Australia should have a few Aboriginal or barbarian settlements. When a European civ comes by plague should spread and a conqueror event should happen, like in the Americas. I'm not very familiar with Australian history, but that's what I think happened.

14. Why can't Phoenicia settle Sicily, Sardinia, and Spain as well as Carthage? I don't see why they need an automatic settler spawn. Just gear the abilities and goals of the civ towards founding those specific colonies. And massively decrease the cost of a palace. It's quite ridiculous the way it is, and is balanced for vanilla, not RFC.

15. Where are the massive barb spawns in Germany that take down the Roman empire? Just nitpicking, but I think they should be there.

16. The Iranian plateau is too small. Add a mountain 1S of Parsa and put some mountains and hill directly east of Mesopotamia. That area is just a massive plain right now, which is not at all realistic.

17. Central Asia was prosperous throughout history because of the Silk Road. Cities and empires sprang up around it until the Age of Exploration, by which time trade by sea had become far cheaper. In RFC, however, it's a barren desert full of barb horsemen and remains that way throughout the game, unless the player deliberately settles it. Something should be done (maybe the Silk Road's mechanics could be altered in some way, but that won't entirely solve the problem).

18. I think that the first tile in Xinjiang (directly after going through the mountains from Transoxiana) should be made a plains tile, and so should the tile 1NE of it. The latter should have a sheep resource. That looks extremely aesthetically pleasing and is very suitable gameplay-wise as well. You should put an oasis 1W of that weird mountain road above Tibet as well (what is that road doing there anyway?).

19. Mongolia should receive a few map buffs. A couple of wheat recourse should be put there (especially by the rivers), and maybe some deer as well. I noticed that there are two plains tiles directly above the Altai Mountains. The eastern one should have horses on it.

Whew.

From what I remember the Maghreb used to be far more fertile in the Classical era, and the Carthage site was especially lush. Its grain exports were a big part of what fueled the Roman Empire, and the fact that it was lost to the Visigoths contributed to the western empire's fall.

From what I remember the Maghreb used to be far more fertile in the Classical era, and the Carthage site was especially lush. Its grain exports were a big part of what fueled the Roman Empire, and the fact that it was lost to the Visigoths contributed to the western empire's fall.

Yeah, maybe it could slowly dry up over the course of the game like it did in real life because of the permanent soil damage it sustained from overfarming.

I agree that realistically handling the Maghreb would possibly require some sort of climate change related terrain type changes, but that isn't part of the mod so far and I don't feel like opening this can of worms at the moment.

I agree that realistically handling the Maghreb would possibly require some sort of climate change related terrain type changes, but that isn't part of the mod so far and I don't feel like opening this can of worms at the moment.

KK. Then just buff it and leave it. What do you think of the rest? Which ones (if any) are you going to put in?

I disagree about the land west of Jordon being particularly fertile, nor do I think Carthage as a city needs to be buffed. I do agree with you that river are essential.

As for changes I would make (Other then new rivers):
I would like to see some stone in Northern China (Make building the great wall easier)

I think remove the tea from India and replace it with spice, and add a tea or two in China, including in the Hong Kong region. India didn't have tea before the last few hundred years, and Britain fought a war with China over access to tea and opium trades.

As for Europe, I am once again going to suggest having Rome start around 350 BCE since Rome was a city state till near the end of the 4th century BC. If you make the Gaulish cities form earlier as well as give the Romans a few more Praets, I don't think this would curb Roman expansion too much.

I also think Constantinopolis city spot should be boulstered.

I also do have some civic changes to suggest, however you said in another thread you were going to revamp the civics soon anyway, so I'll wait to see what you do before recommending changes.

Yeah, Carthage seems powerful enough to me too. It has wheat, fish and sheep so it should be able to grow quite a bit.

In general though the terrain changes around the Baltic are the last thing I'm going to do with the map before release because I really want to get there soon.

I disagree about the land west of Jordon being particularly fertile, nor do I think Carthage as a city needs to be buffed. I do agree with you that river are essential.

As for changes I would make (Other then new rivers):
I would like to see some stone in Northern China (Make building the great wall easier)

I think remove the tea from India and replace it with spice, and add a tea or two in China, including in the Hong Kong region. India didn't have tea before the last few hundred years, and Britain fought a war with China over access to tea and opium trades.

As for Europe, I am once again going to suggest having Rome start around 350 BCE since Rome was a city state till near the end of the 4th century BC. If you make the Gaulish cities form earlier as well as give the Romans a few more Praets, I don't think this would curb Roman expansion too much.

I also think Constantinopolis city spot should be boulstered.

I also do have some civic changes to suggest, however you said in another thread you were going to revamp the civics soon anyway, so I'll wait to see what you do before recommending changes.

No, I'm talking about Carthage's empire. Putting in grassland won't make it uber-powerful, but I want it to have colonies and actually interact with and maybe challenge Rome rather than serving as the tutorial for its Mediterranean conquest.

I always replace the marble in Anatolia with stone and make Constantinople a marble hill. You could be right about Cisjordan not having been historically fertile; it might be my Israeli mentality.

Will you work on the map changes in the next version?

At least then I'm open for another round of discussion. But at the moment I'm rushing to the next version to be able to work on different things (civics and stability, mainly).

Until you at last abandon this foolish project and make the true RFC: on the GEM map. :)

Oh, and has Rhye seen DoC? Have you communicated with him at all?

I can say from my own experience that running RFC on even larger maps is a nightmare with its current engine.

I have no idea if Rhye knows DoC, but I assume he is at least aware of it. He was already practically inactive when I started modding, so there wasn't ever any real opportunity to get in contact. I don't think I've even exchanged one PM with him.

I can say from my own experience that running RFC on even larger maps is a nightmare with its current engine.

I was obviously joking (I don't know if you knew that), although you could simply use the viewports that were developed for Caveman2Cosmos.

I have no idea if Rhye knows DoC, but I assume he is at least aware of it. He was already practically inactive when I started modding, so there wasn't ever any real opportunity to get in contact. I don't think I've even exchanged one PM with him.

I have a sarcastic quip to make, and I think it's quite clever, but I can't think of a way to word it. Does that ever happen to you?

So does Rhye still go on Civfanatics? Does he go on any other forums you know of?

I was obviously joking (I don't know if you knew that), although you could simply use the viewports that were developed for Caveman2Cosmos.
I wasn't sure if it was joking-because-he'd-never-do-that or joking-because-it-cannot-be-done :crazyeye:

I have a sarcastic quip to make, and I think it's quite clever, but I can't think of a way to word it. Does that ever happen to you?
All the time. It's frustrating.

So does Rhye still go on Civfanatics? Does he go on any other forums you know of?
The only other civ related forum I visit is the German civ community on civforum.de, but only because I'm fond of a couple of story writers there. And I'm essentially a lurker.

Reportedly Rhye posts some updates on the next RFC in the Civ5 C&C forum once in a blue moon, but I don't frequent that either.

Does anyone find adopting Republic and Scholasticism to be helpful when attempting Prussia's Great People settled in Berlin goal? And what about Representation and Secularism for the tech tree goal? Or is it better to adopt Universal Suffrage once WWII is over?

Also, I apologize in advance if I've asked this before, but is Absolutism or Representation a better illustration of the Third Reich's Organization civic? I'm aware this consideration will be rendered moot by the upcoming civic changes, so may I suggest a non-Communist, authoritarian Organization civic to complement Supreme Council? Furthermore, I would suggest that Representation and Universal Suffrage be combined into one civic, maybe "Popular Sovereignty," because in comparison to the differences that exist between other civics, the Representation/Universal Suffrage differentiation seems to me to be splitting hairs.

Totalitarianism will move into the Organization column.

Very cool :D

Since you're getting rid of the expansion civics, will you also be reducing the number of civics in each of the remaining columns to five? For some reason I assumed that the fact that there were 6 civic options and 6 civic columns wasn't a coincidence, but I could just be crazy :crazyeye:

The extra row was added for other reasons, but yes there will be a new column.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom