Dawn of Civilization - an RFC modmod by Leoreth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right.

Hi all, I just downloaded the latest version of DoC today and when I started my first game as Italy I noticed two problems with Buddhism. Firstly that when I opened civpedia I noticed that there was no indication for the tech to found buddhism instead it showed "Civ_TXT..." something. When I opened the tech tree I couldn't find the symbol for buddhism in the founding tech either. The autoplay showed that Buddhism had no holy city even though the religion had spread. I switched to world builder to check out India. The Cholas ruled most of the country and the Mughals had just spawned *( year 1210 ) and there were no razed / ruined cities in India. The city which was ruined was Pagan in Burma.

In my next attempt to dig deeper into this 'buddhist mystery' I tried opening India and play to see how Buddhism might be founded. Instead I got an error message and the mod closed down. The message said it was closing down because of "bad memory allocation" . What exactly is happening here ? I downloaded version 1.10 fyi. Is there something I missed in terms of updates ? Please help :( .

Yep, Buddhism is a bit of a special case in that it isn't founded with a tech (Orthodoxy is the other religion). I did this because I wanted to preserve the historical relationship of Hinduism and Buddhism which the game often did not represent. Also, all appropriate techs to found Buddhism were on the paths for the Babylonian or Chinese tech goals, and it felt weird to have them found Buddhism while achieving their historical goals.

Thanks for reminding me about the civilopedia issue. Maybe I can even edit it so that the way to found it becomes more clear.

No idea what caused the crash, however.

BTW, Leo, did you deal with the issue about India or the Tamils not being able to build a Hindu temple before Korea's spawn and having Korea 'found' Buddhism? Or is that still an issue?

And is this normal Buddism was founded in Yerushalem? Is it because it is tied with where Confu is founded geographically?

BTW, Leo, did you deal with the issue about India or the Tamils not being able to build a Hindu temple before Korea's spawn and having Korea 'found' Buddhism? Or is that still an issue?
I have made sure that Buddhism has been founded by then, like with Catholicism.

And is this normal Buddism was founded in Yerushalem? Is it because it is tied with where Confu is founded geographically?
Wait ... what?

Wait ... what?

:lol:
I am playing a Babylonian game where I crushed China to ensure Confu for me and later Catharge had Buddism in Yerushalem. Comparing the relative locations, I suspected you coded Buddism would be found SW of China's capital...somewhere in Tibet. By founding Confu as Babylon, Jerusalem was likely the only candidate.

Check my game once in a while. Its purpose is to show flaws that should be corrected somehow. I like gamey play...

Haha, okay. I thought something went wrong and Jerusalem also founded Confucianism.

Buddhism actually isn't tied to Confucianism. It's just that Jerusalem has a very high probability to become the holy city if its owner happens to found a religion. I'm currently restricting this to the Abrahamic religions only.

They are other stuff in that pack of screenies, like how to eradicate Persia with a couple of chariots, mercenaries are too strong, china appears and dies few turns later, Hiram reappears!, etc.

If you give the Buddhism tech the button of the Hindu Temple and change the description to TXT_KEY_BUILDING_HINDU_TEMPLE, it looks a little better.

You still go to the non-existing tech page when you click on it, but it's a little more clear that buddhism is connected to the Hindu Temple.

Thanks for the clarification Leoreth. I tried India again, now it's loading fine. But is this 'bad memory allocation' a known problem ? What could be the reason ?

Running out of RAM causes that

If you give the Buddhism tech the button of the Hindu Temple and change the description to TXT_KEY_BUILDING_HINDU_TEMPLE, it looks a little better.

You still go to the non-existing tech page when you click on it, but it's a little more clear that buddhism is connected to the Hindu Temple.
I'm currently changing the code so that religions can have no founding tech at all (before this caused the religion to be founded at the beginning of the game), which means I can get rid of the dummy techs and manually add an entry in the civilopedia what the founding conditions are.

Why don't early nations ever colonize China? I played as China and put my only city on an Antarctic island to see what would happen, and all the other civs developed normally. Nobody cared about the huge open, and fertile expanse of land that just became freely available for settlement, despite having filled up their historical boundaries and were stable. Why is China favored so much?

I played a game as Congo where I removed all European cities west of Kiev. Turkey founded 4 cities in Greece and Russia completely ignored it, and the continent was empty until 1700 (I removed the Dutch as well) when Prussia spawned. It was sort of sad, too see such good land go to waste.

Yeah, the AI is programmed to not settle the core of other nations.

A civilization's Settler Map dictates where a civilization will decide to found cities.

Running the same test with most other civilizations with similar circumstances
(Civs occupying areas which aren't the target of a foreign Settler Map, read: Settler Map, not the same as Stability Map, but related,
e.g. Japan, Persia, Mongolia, Vikings) will indicate similar results; with the land being empty and unused.

A civilization's Settler Map dictates where a civilization will decide to found cities.

Running the same test with most other civilizations with similar circumstances
(Civs occupying areas which aren't the target of a foreign Settler Map, read: Settler Map, not the same as Stability Map, but related,
e.g. Japan, Persia, Mongolia, Vikings) will indicate similar results; with the land being empty and unused.

Perhaps in some distant Utopian DoC, maybe 1.87 or something, independent cities will spawn in civilization cores regions if unsettled well past their historical time? I mean, it won't really even change gameplay, but aesthetically and realistically it would be nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom