Dawn of Civilization - an RFC modmod by Leoreth

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can translate for Spanish. Seeing as these are relatively parallel tasks, I don't see why other players of the game can't start translating the mod, assuming Leoreth has no objections. Especially since just editing the XML files requires little to no technical expertise.

I once started translating the mod in french, but it has a lot of text, so it is quite long to translate. And I was about at half the job when a new subversion came up, with new XML, so... everything to start again... I gave up. Maybe, if I have some time, I will give it another chance !

Ideally I want more than one person per language collaborating on that. In any case I don't want it to happen now.

I can translate for italian too.

Why would we need five different versions of Latin? Just stick to the original language you barbarians!

Well I guess we're done for then! Surely no one could ever change the link on the world's largest crowdsourced encyclopedia!

Well I guess we're done for then! Surely no one could ever change the link on the world's largest crowdsourced encyclopedia!

And it's done.

Hi,

I made this forum account just to say - this mod is amazing! I can't play civ IV without it anymore. In fact, I even prefer Civ IV with RFC DoC to Paradox Grand strategy games in terms of scope and depth.

Congratulations on this great achievement! :goodjob:

I also hope that you might consider re-evaluating the spawn details of the Ottomans.

In my opinion, 1280 is a little too soon for them to spawn with muskets at the doorstep of Byzantium. I think somewhere closer to 1400 would be a more appropriate date for that.

That's just my opnion, anyways - thank you for the beautiful mod!

Thank you, and welcome to the forum!

Ottomans were already controlling Thrace in 1360'ies, so I'd say that a spawn c. 1320-30 would be optimal.

They didn't take Constantinople until 1453, and they kind of swarmed the country side. So perhaps 1370.

Swarmed the countryside? The OE was a well-administered empire right within the 14th century already.

I'm saying they were in large numbers by then and were putting a hurt on the Byzantines. Historically they did exist as the Ottoman Beylik in the late 1200s, but with them spawning, as meiqtheliar said, with guns and such, that makes them too OP too quickly. They didn't rule the whole land until the 1400s really and with the guns they take it over by the early 1300s. Perhaps making them spawn later or taking down their technologies for the time they do spawn in would make that more accurate, in the way they expanded at least. But this isn't too important as this is just nitpicking at this point.

Upon retrospection, I realized I expressed what I meant to say about the Ottomans pretty badly.

I think it has more to do with the fact that they spawn with doomstacks and gunpowder than the fact that they show up in 1280

The Ottoman Sultanate was definitely a well organized power before 1400, under Osman and Orhan, but they didn't have much gunpowder, and definitely didn't have janissaries. They were still creating the blueprint for their future empire, and laying out the foundation of things like the Janissary program and the framework of rule over the native populations that would define their empire.

Perhaps the ideal situation would be having them spawn with adequate forces to lock down Anatolia and begin forming a nucleus there, while building up enough power to take Constantinople. After all, the Sultanate of Rum was a prominent power there since before the Crusades.

I just found it a bit jarring in my Rome-Byzantium playthrough when they showed up right outside Constantinople with musket-wielding Janissaries before 1300.

I hope it doesn't seem like I am coming here commanding you to change you're mod, these are just observations :cool:

If the Ottomans don't take Constantinople right after spawn, they have a high likehood of never amounting to anything (although sometimes they still manage to build an Asian empire).

I agree with having them spawn c. 1320-30.

Upon retrospection, I realized I expressed what I meant to say about the Ottomans pretty badly.

I think it has more to do with the fact that they spawn with doomstacks and gunpowder than the fact that they show up in 1280

The Ottoman Sultanate was definitely a well organized power before 1400, under Osman and Orhan, but they didn't have much gunpowder, and definitely didn't have janissaries. They were still creating the blueprint for their future empire, and laying out the foundation of things like the Janissary program and the framework of rule over the native populations that would define their empire.

Perhaps the ideal situation would be having them spawn with adequate forces to lock down Anatolia and begin forming a nucleus there, while building up enough power to take Constantinople. After all, the Sultanate of Rum was a prominent power there since before the Crusades.

I just found it a bit jarring in my Rome-Byzantium playthrough when they showed up right outside Constantinople with musket-wielding Janissaries before 1300.

I hope it doesn't seem like I am coming here commanding you to change you're mod, these are just observations :cool:

I agree, muskets of that nature weren't in use in Europe until at least the early 1500s. They were short ranged and gunpowder was more for the Dardanelles Gun, a massive cannon, which is what they used to take Constantinople.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom