Dawn of Civilization - an RFC modmod by Leoreth

Status
Not open for further replies.
I concur. I'll take care of Rome next when I'm finished with the GP naming thing.

...when I'm finished with the GP naming thing.

Leoreth, have you finished the GP naming bug yet? I just updated the SVN and one new file was updated, is that the end to that hell annoying bug?

Nope, the file I've added is for my personal use only and doesn't change anything to the mod. I'm completely changing the system the mechanism works, and while I'm doing that, I also want to ensure all GP come in chronological order.

Oh and while we're at it, I suggest you don't update during the weekend because I might have to commit an unstable version for file transfer purposes.

Leoreth, this has been on my mind now for awhile.

Aside from your amazing mod, what's your amazing picture?

Don't know what it's called, the one I have a Turkish leader for.

It's Sokka from Avatar: The Last Airbender. And coincidentally that picture you're referring to (the one you have Mehmed for) is called avatar as well :lol:

lol I always thought your avatar was Tintin. I guess what I thought was the tuft of hair is a something on the ceiling or something.

Leoreth, I don't mean to start another Danish-German conflict :)D), and it is certainly a very small thing, but based on everything I know about the history of the area, the Schleswig-Holstein tile - south of the danish pigs - should be yellow for both Germany and the Vikings. It's been partly german and partly danish for most of history, culturally, and well.. I don't want to start a long ramble, but it really should be yellow for both civs :)

thats all well and good but "meat and sarcasm guy'?
It's a reference to a self-description of said character.

Leoreth, I don't mean to start another Danish-German conflict :)D), and it is certainly a very small thing, but based on everything I know about the history of the area, the Schleswig-Holstein tile - south of the danish pigs - should be yellow for both Germany and the Vikings. It's been partly german and partly danish for most of history, culturally, and well.. I don't want to start a long ramble, but it really should be yellow for both civs :)
I know where you're getting at, it's just ... can you tell me what it is currently for both sides? Sorry for being too tired to open a game and have a look.

By the way, it can't be yellow for both of them, because yellow indicates it's in someone else's core and having a tile that belongs to both's core should be avoided (the tile control rules get screwed over otherwise). I suppose it belongs to Germany's core, but not to the Vikings' (should be the other way around I guess, but isn't because of the rectangular shape of the cores), making it dark green for them. Don't know about the Vikings, but it should be within their historical area, making it yellow for them.

By the way, it can't be yellow for both of them, because yellow indicates it's in someone else's core and having a tile that belongs to both's core should be avoided (the tile control rules get screwed over otherwise). I suppose it belongs to Germany's core, but not to the Vikings' (should be the other way around I guess, but isn't because of the rectangular shape of the cores), making it dark green for them. Don't know about the Vikings, but it should be within their historical area, making it yellow for them.

As of now, it's dark red for the vikings - I really can't say whose core it should be, it depends a bit on what we interpret the tile to represent, but if you can just make it yellow for the vikings as well, I shall refrain from further complaining ;) (Since the tile represents everything from Kolding to Kiel it's most likely a complete waste of everybodys time to start any sensible discussion about whether that area has been mostly Danish or German during a timespan of about 1500 years.)

Yeah, definitely. It's mostly good for flavour to see the Vikings being yellow there.

So how about British Nigeria?

Not sure if it's a bug or just a weird fluke. I'm gonna play it see where it goes.

later, python exception

Attachments

• Whereiseveryone.jpg
    Whereiseveryone.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 108
  • Hey guys the empire's over here.jpg
    Hey guys the empire's over here.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 110
  • pythonexception.jpg
    pythonexception.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 96
Usually shouldn't happen. No Python exception before? The one later is related to the still malfunctioning GP renaming system.

So, Persia. If the next area of work is to be the middle east it might be best to start at the beginning. the three problems with the ancient middle east are, babylon getting too big, low likelihood of greece and Persia coming into conflict, and low likelihood of a Persian asia minor. One suggestion has been to grant the Persians Sardis at flip, which could potentially be the solution to all three problems. I am curious as to what tile this would be. One south of the marble? I think that it would be both historically accurate and helpful in game if the western coast of Anatolia is likely to be in greek culture at Persian spawn, as it was conflict over this area (Ionia) that lead the two empires into war, therefore keeping the Persian spawn zone back from the coast should be done. As well, care should be taken not to ruin the Byzantine map. Perhaps the site of future Iconium could be used, or Sinope. This map of the Median empire could be a good guide for Persian spawn zone.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Median_Empire.svg

I would like to suggest moving the Viking spawn one tile West - Oslo can plausibly be on either tile - and moving the pigs in southern Sweden one tile north. In this way it makes sense to build all the three major Scandinavian cities - and I know I'm not the only who likes to have cities in-game that also was important irl :mischief: (Copenhagen 1 east of the pigs in Denmark, and Stockholm on the Uranium - just so everybody follows)

Isn't it by the way a bit too easy to take out the English early now? They start with only 4 longbows, and the viking player has that too + 2 axes + 2 swords, and starts earlier - and can upgrade the axes to Huscarls quite fast, and build more of those also?

Well, with focusing on the Middle East, I only thought of the medieval era, but classical ME is in need of aid too. And I must admit I grow increasingly fond of Persian Sardes, as it really solves a lot problems at once. I imagine it being on the tile 1W of Iconium, which is still ahistorically east but doesn't screw up Constantinople and the Turks as much.

On the three Scandinavian cities, I thought I already made sure that Copenhagen is the best city for Denmark even with Hamburg around (the AI just doesn't seem to get this)? Maybe you can post a screen to help me visualize your changes?

I gave the Persians the area you could call Media or Kurdistan, just a triangle of of few tiles north and east of mesopotamia as part of their spawn and it helped them a lot in terms of actually taking the middle east and at least getting close to egypt and greece.

Maybe the Hittites should be a bigger threat to Babylon and Egypt, at least before the Persians spawn? After all, the Hittites conquered Syria and invaded Babylon numerous times. Right now they're just kinda... a puny little barb city. :lol:

On the three Scandinavian cities, I thought I already made sure that Copenhagen is the best city for Denmark even with Hamburg around (the AI just doesn't seem to get this)? Maybe you can post a screen to help me visualize your changes?

No - the best place now is actually everything BUT the Copenhagen tile, I'm sorry to say :lol: As the three western tiles all has the dutch fish in reach, which they'll have for 1000 years - so the AI actually does the only meaningfull thing, and settles Aarhus 1N of the pigs - settling on the pigs is not very smart, and the southernmost tile flips to Germany :) Only thing you gain by settling CPH is a few more grassland tiles - and I'd say that the AI is doing the right thing in wanting a fish more then that.

I'd be happy to compile a suggestion, but it is of course your modmod and you're in charge - but if we agree on trying to make Oslo, Cph, and Stockholm the three obvious choices for building cities, then sure?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom