Deathmatch

Matrix

CFC Dinosaur
Retired Moderator
Eight Civs start with roughly equal power, and all technologies. The world is full; there's only one way to expand: through conquest. The only way to win this game is by conquest.

So this is a pure warmongers deathmatch. The trick is to make the right allies in the beginning and gain as much as you can from war.

The colours don't matter; everyone may pick every Civ (s)he likes. :)

Some additional info:
  • Almost all cities have 1000 culture and are size 13 (though some shrink the first turn).
  • The only units you have in the beginning are two mech. inf.'s per city and six workers.
  • Everyone owns just one of every strategic resource, except iron: two.
  • Everyone owns eight pieces of the same luxury. Each Civ has it's own luxury resource.
  • Almost all cities have the same improvements. All except: stock market, research lab, manufacturing plant, recycling center, any plant (except nuclear when possible). Some have: harbor, airport, offshore platform, commercial docks.
  • There are no Great Wonders. Small Wonders are not yet built, except Manhattan Project which is now a small wonder.

Happy hunting! :rocket:

Attachments

• deathmatch.zip
    39 KB · Views: 357
I must agree I should have made the scenario for standard Civ3, cos that can be played with both. :undecide: But it's too late for that now.

I have been playing an MP game with 2 human, 6 AI here, and have some suggestions:

- Start the units fortified (dunno if this is possible)
- Start all the cities with marketplaces, factories, etc.
- Document which starts are stronger/weaker so players can choose a strong/weak start.
- Start with some battleships/transports
- Babylon start producing bowmen first turn and you get loads of bowmen built that are hoplessly outdated. Maybe start every city producing wealth for the first turn so everyone is equal

These are just some little tweaks I could think of for an already excellent mod. MP can be painfully slow to get going, this mod makes it quick and violent. :D

Thanks again Matrix :thumbsup:

It's not. :undecide: It is possible to make all units veteran, but that's a lot of work. :rolleyes: But if you think it's absolutely necessary, I'll make work of it.

What city/cities have I missed? :confused:

- Document which starts are stronger/weaker so players can choose a strong/weak start.

After I finished the scenario I checked all their demographics. Player 4 (purple) had about 20% less power while player 7 (yellow) had about 20% more. That's why one city on the island between them is also purple. I haven't checked it afterwards, but I'm quite sure they're all pretty evenly balanced now. More balanced in numeric power that people's starting position is more important.

Battleships? The idea was that everyone starts with little defence. What does a peaceful civilization need battleships for? Or does starting with a few battleships have advantages to the gameplay?

Transport, where needed will be added. ;)

- Babylon start producing bowmen first turn and you get loads of bowmen built that are hoplessly outdated. Maybe start every city producing wealth for the first turn so everyone is equal

Unfortunately that too is beyond my power. But I seriously suggest to play this scenario without civ-specific abilities and that should also rule out this problem.

Originally posted by Matrix

It's not. :undecide: It is possible to make all units veteran, but that's a lot of work. :rolleyes: But if you think it's absolutely necessary, I'll make work of it.
I think regular is fine. MI are good defenders anyway. Shame about the fortify thing, but it is only niggle and doesn't affect gameplay.

What city/cities have I missed? :confused:
Player 4 has 1 city with no marketplace or factory and 2 without factories. Can't say which cities 'cos they are called different names for different civs. Also haven't checked other starts.

After I finished the scenario I checked all their demographics. Player 4 (purple) had about 20% less power while player 7 (yellow) had about 20% more. That's why one city on the island between them is also purple. I haven't checked it afterwards, but I'm quite sure they're all pretty evenly balanced now. More balanced in numeric power that people's starting position is more important.
After a few games it will become obvious which locations have a slight advantage. Player 2 doesn't appear to have much bonus resources, player 4 has lots, etc, but is this by design 'cos player 4 was weaker? Personally I like stronger/weaker players, but if you want to make them as even as possible I will make notes. One important factor is gpt, I think some have significantly more than others.

Battleships? The idea was that everyone starts with little defence. What does a peaceful civilization need battleships for? Or does starting with a few battleships have advantages to the gameplay?

Transport, where needed will be added. ;)
Transports are need for civs on more than 1 landmass, but they have a disadvantage bacause their production power is split. Battleships would let them patrole the area between their landmasses.

Unfortunately that too is beyond my power. But I seriously suggest to play this scenario without civ-specific abilities and that should also rule out this problem.
OK, makes sense. One reasone we left UU in was to allow easier GA's. Thinking about it not having the traits would make it alot fairer. Commercial and Militaristic seem very strong traits in the mod.

Thanks again :)

Player 4 indeed has more bonus resources because they were weaker at first. They also have a lot of tundra which is nasty. The cities built in the tundra will never become very large; that's why I left out the factories (and some other improvements) in the cities in the tundra: it'll only cost you more, but gain little.
Originally posted by anarres
Transports are need for civs on more than 1 landmass, but they have a disadvantage bacause their production power is split. Battleships would let them patrole the area between their landmasses.
Sounds reasonable. :)

All in all Matrix a very good mod indeed :D

This is perfect for a fast-start PBEM game where what you want is some quick battles :evil:

I would suggest starting everyone with everything. Including factories in tundra cities, and manafacturing plants everywhere. It would allow players to concentrate on building offensive units.

May I also suggest some tweaking of the tile resources so that cities can start without shrinking? There are also some cities that are at maximum size (given the tiles), even though there are several unused tiles around. I would be happy to be more specific about which tiles, is there a tile-naming convention so I can suggest irrigation or food bonuses for certain ones? If you are interested, I could always modify the scenario myself and send it back to you.

Yeah, I saw that too. I almost didn't respond, but dammit! :mad:

Top Bottom