DLC 6 Anticipation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eh, I just started playing again for the first time since probably the Winter, on the new patch. I think people way overblow the "game breaking" issues of the patch. It's still fun--yeah, there are problems, but people seem to be a bit over-dramatic. Way better than release, and I expect it to be even better next time around.

I think a lot of that impression - at least initially - was mods: people having mods installed that basically broke after the update. An on top of that, fromm what IIRC, some issues where disabling some mods doesn't full disable them game-file wise unless you unsubscribe all together, and perhaps all mods (even ones you had disabled) getting re-enabled by the patch (exacerbating the issue).

For the casual user, I think 'mods broke in the most recent patch' = 'Firaxis broke the game/mods with the most recent patch' and honestly, if I were Firaxis, I might start deactivating everyone's mods with each patch (so they have to reactivate them manually) to be on the safe side.

For the power user, "I have to play this game with out CQUI/my favorite mods" is a source of frustration in and of itself.

So the one minor advantage of the delayed Mac/Linux releases is a lot of mod issues are rectifief by the time they come out ;)

In my recent game, I've noticed that the AI Civs never declare war on each other. Is that a bug? Some of them declare war on me, but not on each other.
Then there's the annoying trade pop-up, where the AI leader says they won't accept that deal. They also like to demand my Great Works of Art and practically my entire Gold per turn when I tried to make a better deal.

Those are the two most annoying problems I've experienced since the last patch.

In my recent game, I've noticed that the AI Civs never declare war on each other. Is that a bug? Some of them declare war on me, but not on each other.
Then there's the annoying trade pop-up, where the AI leader says they won't accept that deal. They also like to demand my Great Works of Art and practically my entire Gold per turn when I tried to make a better deal.

Those are the two most annoying problems I've experienced since the last patch.

AI civs do wage war on each other. On my last game Spain destroyed 2 other civs. I`ve installed AI+ mod do. Dont know if this has an impact.

You are right that you dont really have to worry about building an army at all. After the last patch it seems to got worse rather then better. Much worse.

(Spain had a massive 1200+ army while the other 2 AI`s did not get past 100 domination points)

AI civs do wage war on each other. On my last game Spain destroyed 2 other civs. I`ve installed AI+ mod do. Dont know if this has an impact.
You are right that you dont really have to worry about building an army at all. After the last patch it seems to got worse rather then better. Much worse.

(Spain had a massive 1200+ army while the other 2 AI`s did not get past 100 domination points)

Last edited by a moderator:
If the Indonesian leader is Gajah Mada again, I'm hoping they will depict him in a different way. Maybe, he can look older? They'll definitely keep the heavy-set look though.

They certainly will do that. Gajah Mada means "Elephant General" and it likely wasn't because he had a trunk and floppy ears.

Last edited by a moderator:
Eh, I just started playing again for the first time since probably the Winter, on the new patch. I think people way overblow the "game breaking" issues of the patch. It's still fun--yeah, there are problems, but people seem to be a bit over-dramatic. Way better than release, and I expect it to be even better next time around.
It's because the game already was in a much better shape after the spring-patch and the summer-patch was a big step back on many parts and reintroducing issues that were already solved...

It's not really offensive to me, it's just not aesthetically sensical with the rest of the civ that TPangolin designed.

Do you mean when it's nonsensical and/or historically inaccurate?

If so I understand. I really hate the Sri Lanka mods for Civ V and VI. It's infuriating when people just implement rubbish. E.g the Civ V UU was called "Balata" which I have no idea what on earth that means. (I speak/read/write Sinhalese FYI). In Civ VI it's "Aetaruva". (They used Google translate IMO). The leader's historical agenda is Exploitive. Ironic, cos as with all indigenous people around the world none apart from capitalist colonists were so :cringe:

It's because the game already was in a much better shape after the spring-patch and the summer-patch was a big step back on many parts and reintroducing issues that were already solved...

That makes sense. Like I said I don't even think I played at all on the patch before this one. So traveling forward in time to now everything seemed pretty good.

Could be the district gives the bonus, instead of getting one. Small difference, maybe, but the tiles have to be worked. Which makes for more strategy, which is always nice.

Not much more strategy, I know, but the bits pile up.

So, the DLC05 Linux release is out. Great. I already created the dumps and was about to commit them, when I noticed something that wasn't meant to go there slipped in as well, so I tried to redo the process but ended up with git not noticing any of the new changes. And on top of that Civ Vi doesn't even launch for me. So, tomorrow I'll deliver the dumps as I fix whatever is wrong with my Civ installation if I can.

//me begins waiting for DLC6 as well :)

Do you mean when it's nonsensical and/or historically inaccurate?

If so I understand. I really hate the Sri Lanka mods for Civ V and VI. It's infuriating when people just implement rubbish. E.g the Civ V UU was called "Balata" which I have no idea what on earth that means. (I speak/read/write Sinhalese FYI). In Civ VI it's "Aetaruva". (They used Google translate IMO). The leader's historical agenda is Exploitive. Ironic, cos as with all indigenous people around the world none apart from capitalist colonists were so :cringe:
Listen, and I hate having to explain this, at the furthur danger of derailing the topic. Then agan, until it's been ruled out definitively; it's speculation about SEA content.

The Trungs came to power in 12-43 AD. The water puppet theater is as old, and as Vietnamese as time. "Viet Cong" as a UU is a late 20th century fringe outfit in relation to American understanding of what "Vietnam" is as a cultural identity. Imagine if America made "Unabomber" or Alt-right domestic terrorists as a unique unit that somehow identified what America was good at.

Will we see a new alternate history video series before release? Last time, the first video came on May 30 if what youtube shows is correct (seems early) and the DLC came somewhere in the middle of July. So 1.5 months ahead. So if they want to do the same thing again, they should start around next week.

Fixed my installation and did the dumps: https://gitlab.com/FishPls/civ6dumps/commit/473d6b16a7bee379e543076e34ea6c017543cbbf

Unfortunately at least for me Gitlab actually refuses to open that page, it's probably too heavy for them :D You can check the repo manually of course https://gitlab.com/FishPls/civ6dumps/

I haven't gone through the diffs at all yet, not sure if they contain any hints about future DLC's.

Someone already found a new yield adjacency bonus column earlier this week. It provides a yield bonus times the number of adjacent tiles of a specific class of resource (ie luxury, strategic, or bonus). This points to a possible UA, unique district, or unique improvement that the DLC civ could have.

So it's certainly possible that there could be more buried in there.

Someone already found a new yield adjacency bonus column earlier this week. It provides a yield bonus times the number of adjacent tiles of a specific class of resource (ie luxury, strategic, or bonus). This points to a possible UA, unique district, or unique improvement that the DLC civ could have.

So it's certainly possible that there could be more buried in there.

I'm quite sure libGameCore_Base.so.txt could contain some nice hints, but that beast is over 300 megabytes in size, and generally a pain to work with. I was wondering if I could create a diff / "patch"-file out of the older and current revision of that file (and why not Civ6.txt as well), and throw those in a new folder in the repo. It would just amount to the size of the changes done to the file in this update, which is definitely a lot smaller than the whole file, most of which is unchanged since the last update.

Edit: I don't think this plan is feasible, git format-patch has been processing libgamecore for over 40 minutes now while maxing out a single core from my system. It's simply way too big to process efficiently. I'll go out with my dog and see if it's finished when I come back.

Edit 2: It finished (took over an hour), but the file size is still over 200 megabytes. Not pursuing this idea any further. Unfortunate.

Last edited:
2kqa_b updated with DLC06 and Civ GH. So that makes 5 test builds running both depots.

OP updated.

"Viet Cong" as a UU is a late 20th century fringe outfit in relation to American understanding of what "Vietnam" is as a cultural identity.

Totally, it's like if someone made a Suicide Bomber the UU of The Cholas (i.e represented by the Tamil Tigers or LTTE).

FYI I don't plan on making a Vietnam civ. I will repurpose one of the existing civs for the Vietnam War scenario. A H2H like Gifts Of The Nile. Also as I've got next to no graphics skill I'm not going to be doing leader heads, etc. Map + settings for a scenario. Simple.

Also I plan to wait at least until Firaxis drop the SEA DLC first ;)

I've been thinking. Okay, so we apparently have good evidence already that Indonesia/Majapahit (whatever the name, a civ that represents the Nusantara archipelago) will be the next civ added.

But if you look at the pattern, Firaxis has not yet repeated a SEA civ across games. Civ 4 had the Khmer. The Khmer did not return in Civ 5. There, Southeast Asia was represented by Siam and later Indonesia. If we continue this pattern of not repeating civs, the remaining choices in SEA are clear. One is Vietnam, which has already been discussed quite a lot. To my surprise, a number of people consider Vietnam "unworthy" of being added or something. As someone from a SEA country that will definitely not be added to a Civ game anytime soon, I consider Vietnam to be eminently worthy of inclusion in Civ, so I find the unexpectedly large number of detractors a bit...odd. Most of the arguments against adding Vietnam seem to be based on little more than inane Sinocentrism. But anyway, if adding Vietnam is such a problem to some, there's the second choice - Burma (Pagan or Toungoo if you want to use historical names). They built the largest empire in mainland Southeast Asia's history, one which at its height dominated the Siamese and the Khmer - and those guys have already been in a Civ game. And yet Burma hasn't.

Actually there's a third option, Sri Vijaya, but as an Indianized maritime thalassocracy it might be difficult to differentiate it from Majapahit. Then there's Funan/Chenla/Champa, but those choices would be even more left field. Though I certainly wouldn't object if my Austronesian brethren on the mainland were added.

Although, I just realized that adding Burma now could be controversial considering...current events. Which is a shame since they really should be in.

They are holding swords, so I'm guessing Civ. Unless XCOM has swords (I never played than game).
The SE Asian Civ will have swordsman unique unit, I guess.

I think there is a swordsman in XCOM, actually, but the other bits (axes, steel armor, etc) tend to point away from that setting.

Also, the audio for DLC06 was probably completed a few months ago. Audio work being done now is probably for the expansion (which they were hiring positions for back in July).

Also, this is clearly indicative of Classical-Medieval era combat. Generic combat sound effects are already in place. New combat sound effects would likely be for a unique unit. So might mean that the expansion will have at least one new civ with a Classical or Medieval melee unique unit.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom