• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Do you consider yourself a (InsertCompassDirectionerHere) of your Country?

Gucumatz

JS, secretly Rod Serling
Simple question - do you consider yourself a Southerner, Northerner, Eastern, Westerosi, etc. of the country you live in? Do think such vague regional identifications are appropriate for where you live and why? Or do you not agree with this kind of identification. And if you do feel some association with some random cardinal direction - say Northerner - do you also associate with ideas of eastern/western of your country?

Northerner/Midwest , I guess. However, I prefer Minnesotan as otherwise I get lumped in with Iowa (56 thousand square miles of dull) and Wisconsin (its too cold to be sober).

I am a Californian, so I would say yes. Moreover I am from Northern California, which is important to California, as North, South, (and perhaps Valley/Sierras), are the main delineations of Californian sub-ethnicities.

Granted there are further sub-groups within these groups (Bay vs Not-Bay in the north, which is further divided into East Bay/South Bay/North Bay/Peninsula; LA vs OC vs SD vs Valley vs etc. in the South), nevertheless the delineation between North and South is one which exists in reality as Northern and Southern California have their own (semi-)distinct regional linguistic variations ("5" or "Highway 5" vs "The 5", for example), and a trip to a Californian university will reveal that these groupings matter to people, even if only in a half-joking/ironic sense.

I'd say I'm a Midwesterner, since I live in the Midwest and I'd be very slightly miffed if others were mocking Midwesterners. But I don't go around thinking that I'm a Midwesterner, or a resident of my state, or even an American. I usually consider myself to be, well, myself, not really a member of any particular group, unless people start talking about that group.

I'd say I definitely would be considered a Westerner, which has a number of layers to it; in the usual political sense where these things come up, our westernmost province likely isn't considered part of the 'Western' group, that term being reserved for our prairie provinces.

Not really. Some would say I've a Midwesterner (the closest we have to Central in the U.S.), but I've never lived that close to the Great Plains, and don't consider myself distinctively Midwestern culturally. Likewise, some might say I'm a Northerner, but it's been almost 150 years since the Civil War ended, and being a "northener" doesn't really mean much of anything now that the north stretches from Maine to Washington. I have lived in an area that's considered part of the South before, but not long enough to consider myself a Southerner.

I've lived in almost every region of the US, but I consider myself very much a midwesterner, and hope to eventually permanently settle there.

I'm a Central Westerner, I live in the region of Wielkopolska (Greater Poland). The core of this region is in the basin of the Warta River.

This region was the original cradle of the Polish state.

Historically the western border of this region was the central section of the Odra River, in the vincinity of Frankfurt Oder. The region borders Brandenburg to the West, Pomerania to the North-West, Pomerelia to the North, Kuyavia (which was historically often counted as just part of Greater Poland) to the North-East, Northern Lusatia and Lower Silesia to the South-West, Upper Silesia to the South, Mazovia to the East and Lesser Poland to the South-East.

Modern Wielkopolskie Voivodeship does not include entire historical region of Greater Poland.

Parts of this region are also within the neighbouring Voivodeships: Lubuskie, Łódzkie and Kujawsko-Pomorskie.

=====================================================

These videos are about the Wielkopolskie Voivodeship, not about the entire historical region of Wielkopolska:

A westerner, though I live in the north at the moment.

No, I consider myself a New Englander.

Over the years I have lived in a goodly portion of the U.S., as well as a number of other spots around the globe.
I suppose I am an American by birth, and a Southerner by temperment. :goodjob:
I definitely ain't no Yankee! :thumbsdown:

Midwest is best west.

It's also where I'm from and what I consider myself.

At least in terms of a geographic-subcategory of America. There are plenty of other identities which take priority over this one.

When I lived in the UK people asked me what part of Ireland I was from, meaning north or south. I generally said I was from the west.

Definitely eastern US, most specifically metropolitan area of northern Virginia near Washington D.C.
Spoiler :

I've heard various people (southern USians, western USians, midwest USians) talk about how in the Washington D.C. area, they either are surprised that people are more kind than they expected, or are as rude as they expected.

I.e. I've heard basically verbatim from a southerner that just going to the grocery store and saying a friendly hello or trying to speak to cashiers you'd get a look as if to say "what's wrong with you", that people are all business and no chit chat in the Washington D.C. area. That people are just so serious all the time. But that not everyone was like that, thank goodness!

Essentially, midwesteners and southerners in the US like to have some level of hospitality or small town friendliness feel, midwesteners have that industry/mining type of mentality going on, and westerners typically like to be more relaxed and laid back. North easterners are different in their boston/bronx/jersey ways.

I'm the guy that looks at you weird for trying to talk to me :p

I'm definitely a Midwesterner, but I currently live in the South. I say "pop" to assert my identity. But I've also taken to saying "y'all" (because second-person plural pronouns are insanely useful), so people in Ohio still make fun of me.

I am Texan. I don't really associate myself with a US region other than the state itself - although if I had to choose one, I would say the west (I lived in Arizona for a short while, and all of my extended family lives in the western US, especially southern California).

I am born&raised and currently living in the US Northeast, but I really don't consider myself by that label; I identify far more with the state I'm currently living in (probably because New York and Massachusetts suck that much).

Top Bottom