Egypt - Cleopatra Thread

Has Egypt ever had a UU that wasn't boring? :lol:

In every Civ release so far, Egypt had War Chariot as unique unit :p

I like this Egypt, seems to be much more interesting than Civ5 version "spam tombs, spam wonders". Unique ability is pretty interesting, and I also like how this time each civ has something fresh (egyptian trade routes, british museums, chinese wonders, american culture) instead of old cliches of the series.

However, I can already predict egyptian chariots to be pretty meh unique unit (I hope at least their movement bonus remains after upgrades to cavalry)

Do we know if there will be separate melee and ranged mounted unit trees this time around? One of the reasons Chariots in CiV were so horrid was their eventual upgrade to knights. If the Maryannu Chariot Archer upgrades into another ranged unit, unique bonus movement and all, it would be an ok UU as opposed to bad.

Many seem to think that the War Chariot is bland..what other ancient/classical unique Egyptian units could take the War Chariots place that would suit Egypt and not be bland?

The chariot could replace an archery unit.

Not really, chariots require horses, are prone to spear attacks and are more expensive than archer infantry (presumably) so they'd be controversial "improvement" over usual archer units.

We know there is a Heavy Chariot melee unit. We haven't seen a regular Chariot Archer.

I postulate that there is no regular ranged mounted unit to confound the mounted unit line, there are only melee regular mounted units, and any ranged mounted units are UUs like the Maryannu. The only other ranged mounted unit we have seen is a barbarian Horse Archer. The way Ed described it makes it seem like it primarily belongs to barbarians.

Brighter background? I'm on my phone, but sure looks like it.

In previous vids, pikes had bonus v melee. Not 'anything w horses.'
Also, there is no 'realistic' reason for spears to get a bonus v ranged units.

I could see either
1. A mounted ranged line
2. Chariot archers upgrade to regular ranged line
3. Upgrades/promotions work differently so they are compatiblew knight upgad

I'm really liking how the devs are making each civ far more encompassing and not just one trick ponies. They are also making a concerted effort in taking various traits/aspects from a civs history and incorporating it into their uniques.

With that said, I love this version of Egypt. Egypt's uniques capture the importance of the Nile, which is the really the foundation of Egyptian culture and society. Wonders and Districts are built faster next to rivers and trade partners receive bonus food. This is far better than a bland 20% bonus to wonder production...a unique that says nothing about the civ.

I'm usually in the crowd that wants Egyptian Mamluks represented in the game, but this new version of Egypt is just great so I don't really care if Islamic Egypt isn't represented.

The Mamluks could be the Middle Eastern civs knight equivalent (same stats), just reskinned/renamed. As far as I know, the devs haven't shown any proof that each civ/region of civs will have unique skins for their units, so its doubtful.

The problem with Mamlukes as part of the Egyptian civ is that Islamic Egypt is almost an entirely different civ from ancient Egypt. What with the massive changes in both religion and language. It's greater than the difference between ancient Rome and modern Italy. In Civ, the Islamic period of Egypt generally falls under the Arabian civ (a near-blob).

As for the Mamluk unit, I'd too love it if that was simply the Middle Eastern knight model. The only proof of unique unit skins is actually from Egypt. They have had a darker skinned archer model since the first screenshots were released.

Edit: Also their builders are different too.

We know there is a Heavy Chariot melee unit. We haven't seen a regular Chariot Archer.

I postulate that there is no regular ranged mounted unit to confound the mounted unit line, there are only melee regular mounted units, and any ranged mounted units are UUs like the Maryannu. The only other ranged mounted unit we have seen is a barbarian Horse Archer. The way Ed described it makes it seem like it primarily belongs to barbarians.

That's too bad. We will have to wait and see of course.

Wasn't it stated in an E3 video that each unit will have its own set of promotions? If this is true, this makes me speculate on two things:

1. Is there a possibility of unique promotions for unique units?

2. Is there a possibility of units not being able to upgrade in this itinerary?

If it is a ranged replacement for a melee mounted unit and there is no regular ranged mounted unit, this actually makes the Maryannu more valuable. The only other ranged unit in the early game is the Slinger, and it lacks the movement and range that the Maryannu has.

The most interesting thing about Egypt's unique unit is its name (which was actually written down by an Egyptian official in the Amarna Letters). Let's hope the unit gets more than just a movement boost to mark it as "unique." Maybe if it had higher strength or range etc it might be worthy as a Civ-representative unit.

Unfortunately it seems units won't be voiced as in Civ IV this time around. It would have been nice to hear, for example, an imperious sounding nobleman every time you ordered the Maryannu to attack.

flash poll: now that we know basically everything about Egypt, should a mod change the name of the thread?

Moderator Action: Identical post deleted

Seriously. The fact that people need to trudge through a 20 page thread to discover that a video was released this week is just silly. Some people literally just check the civfanatics forum to find out the new info.

Seeing this mammoth of a thread still lumbering around - I wouldn't click on it. I didn't in fact. It wasn't until my youtube account notified me that a new video was released that I realized there was actually a new and relevant conversation taking place in this three month old thread.

Seriously. The fact that people need to trudge through a 20 page thread to discover that a video was released this week is just silly. Some people literally just check the civfanatics forum to find out the new info.

Seeing this mammoth of a thread still lumbering around - I wouldn't click on it. I didn't in fact. It wasn't until my youtube account notified me that a new video was released that I realized there was actually a new and relevant conversation taking place in this three month old thread.

There's a button you can click called "Show First Unread" that helps you cut to the chase.

There's a button you can click called "Show First Unread" that helps you cut to the chase.

Even so, that button doesn't render it obvious that the pickup in discussion results from a brand new video.

Having been a volunteer moderator for the principal fansite discussion forum of another AAA video game, I get that it's a difficult and thankless job. That said, this decision strikes me as tending to obscure information without any prospective moderation benefits. If the new video were prominently shown on the front page with a link to the designated discussion thread, I could see taking this approach. As things stand, I can't.

It looks like that Egypt has equal "unique"s to England but less than America.

As listed:

America has 2 UU, 2 UA (one for the civ and one for Teddy), 1 UB

England has 2 UU, 1 UA, 1 UD

Egypt has 1 UU, 2UA, and 1 UI

the attitude is so on-point. You dont need to listen/read her words to know she's going from "THANK THE GODS" flattery to some "Wanna have a private meeting in my bedroom" flirt

Top Bottom