Enemy of the People

And I'm with Berz on this one, that a lot of people went beyond a simply saying it.
I took a lot of crap

When you say you took a lot of crap...but it went beyond simply saying it...are you saying that people threw rocks at your windows? Attacked you with clubs? What exactly?

verbal abuse, cussing, light threats etc. I can handle being bullied since I have been my whole life, but that doesn't make it any less crappy.

And if you imply that since they didn't draw blood it's ok. I'm going to laugh

I would rank Fox News as 2nd worst, MSNBC as the worst, CNN as merely OK, public broadcasting as reliable, local news as being reliable for issues local to the news-source, and BBC as the best for international news.

verbal abuse, cussing, light threats etc. I can handle being bullied since I have been my whole life, but that doesn't make it any less crappy.

And if you imply that since they didn't draw blood it's ok. I'm going to laugh

Someone actually threatened you to vote for Hillary Clinton?

Yeah, I didn't take it that seriously. A republican in Chicago is fair game apparently.
Some think it's just Trump supporters that can be crude and such but there are some Dems that are just as bad. When there's only two parties you get asshats in both.

How about verbally abusing gays, is that ok? Verbal abuse is just as bad as threats

Yeah, I didn't take it that seriously. A republican in Chicago is fair game apparently.
Some think it's just Trump supporters that can be crude and such but there are some Dems that are just as bad. When there's only two parties you get asshats in both.

Can you talk about the circumstances under which this happened? Some rando on Facebook? Someone you actually knew, in-person?

In a bar, where else. A pretty high end bar downtown. I knew the guy but not that well.
But does where it happened even matter. No one deserved even just verbal abuse from a dem for not voting for Trump.

And I guess that's why I identified with what Berz was saying.

I mean, yeah, verbal abuse is dumb and not really defensible.
So you know, a guy who was working for my union on the campaign in '16 got jumped and beaten up outside a bar in Reno, Nevada for wearing a Hillary t-shirt so it ain't like verbal abuse from "dems" was the only thing anyone had to worry about.

I'll admit that currently the Rep are much more dangerous in that regard. Just another reason for abandoning the party. But that doesn't absolve the other side

Well, I'm not defending some dude threatening you to vote for Hillary. But people saying things like "you have to vote for x!" are just opinions, don't have to be taken seriously.

There's a fine line there. Many people were pretty emphatic. Verbal abuse isn't acceptable either.

Because they're the relevant diversifying force when it comes to the Federal? I understand that's off the script. The Republicans have all three branches and they can't accomplish any of the "flagship" issues(except for free money for powerful people, but that's always candycrack stupid). It's not like they have ideological purity to enforce, they're more scattered in their interests than "densely populated consumption and service based economic units."
"Relevant" here kind of makes what you're saying meaningless. Of course the states are relevant, because that's how the Senate is currently organized. If Senate seats were reapportioned on some other basis, that basis would become the "relevant diversifying force when it comes to the federal". That's not off the script, it's very much a part of it.

I would rank Fox News as 2nd worst, MSNBC as the worst, CNN as merely OK, public broadcasting as reliable, local news as being reliable for issues local to the news-source, and BBC as the best for international news.

Local news (assuming you mean network affiliate news stations) are worse than all the other sources you listed.

"Relevant" here kind of makes what you're saying meaningless. Of course the states are relevant, because that's how the Senate is currently organized. If Senate seats were reapportioned on some other basis, that basis would become the "relevant diversifying force when it comes to the federal". That's not off the script, it's very much a part of it.

The second part is the demonstration of it working. Like, in the way everybody* claims they want it to, except when they're talking about their agenda. Made relevant to this particular forum board by the last sentence.

*Well, nearly. Some people are faily honest when it comes to naked self interest.

The second part is the demonstration of it working. Like, in the way everybody* claims they want it to, except when they're talking about their agenda. Made relevant to this particular forum board by the last sentence.

*Well, nearly. Some people are faily honest when it comes to naked self interest.
You don't think that the two parties would be coalitions if states didn't exist, or if states didn't get equal numbers of Senators?

Like, I get what you think you're saying here about claims and honesty, but it really isn't working.

People who get their news primarily from the TV are doing it wrong. It's okay in moderation or for entertainment, but everything they spout seriously needs to be fact-checked.

Local news (assuming you mean network affiliate news stations) are worse than all the other sources you listed.

We’re concerned about the troubling trend of irresponsible, one-sided news stories plaguing our country. The sharing of biased and false news has become all too common on social media. More alarming, some media outlets publish these same fake stories . . . stories that just aren’t true, without checking facts first. Unfortunately, some members of the media use their platforms to push their own personal bias and agenda to control exactly what people think. . . . This is extremely dangerous to a democracy. . . . It’s our responsibility to pursue and report the truth. We understand Truth is neither politically left nor right. Our commitment to factual reporting is the foundation of our credibility, now more than ever.

You don't think that the two parties would be coalitions if states didn't exist, or if states didn't get equal numbers of Senators?

No, I'm saying that the states, designed as they are - force the most wildly progressively representative arm of government to act in a manner that is significantly novel compared to the other voter-vulnerable arms - namely the House and the Executive, who respond far more consistently along bespoke socio-economic lines. Particularly the House with its relatively compact relatively consistently (bespoke-by-design)populated districts.

undemocratic - vote for my candidate or feel ashamed
democratic - vote for whomever you want

You going to draw the line at vote shaming ?
I up you, illegitimate black child, Secret Muslim Kenyan, a Swift boat and pedophilia ring in a pizza basement

Top Bottom