Favourite Historical Weapon ?

The naginata:

The dacian falx:

The Urumi sword:

The Katar:

The Kris:

The chakram:

And plenty others.

The Alabama and New Jersey are, as well.

It's even more fun to stay overnight on the Yorktown in Charleston harbor.

The war yo-yo, although there's some question whether they really were used as weapons. Also the non-returning boomerang.

For serious weapons, the torsion catapult is seriously cool.

Probably the musket, any type really.

If we are talking ships, then the confused years between the American Civil War and WW1, where ship designers were just starting to figure out how to build a modern, ironclad warship. I used to not like them because I thought they looked funny as a kid, and I always preferred the longer, cleaner lines of a modern WW2-era warship. Now, I've grown to like the ugly ducklings from earlier on.

A battleship's not a weapon, it's a support arm for a glorified taxi service (dear God, I hope Pat's reading this). My favorite has to be the SMLE: any weapon that can win two world wars can hardly be bad, plus it's a joy to shoot with.

For no reason, I prefer the No 4. The barrel extending slightly eyond the body just gives it that little extra.

But personally, in terms of guns, I just love the look of the bullpup configuration.

When you see news flashes of conflicts around the world, I've spotted Lee-Enfield rifle many times, guess they were made to last!
They are still used by at least one first world army (Canadian Rangers).
Really it comes down to a reliable rifle built in massive quatities and distributed all around the world. For the same reason you can see Mosin-Nagant and other world war era rifles floating around, and the same can be said for the AK.

As to the actually topic, the counterweight trebuchet is just awesome.

Well, bro, you asked for it.

Unsurprisingly enough, I'll go with medieval Russian axes (sekiras), maces (bulavas), sabre-swords (palashes) and hammers (molots).

While we're at it, armor also gets honorary mention: haubreks (zertsalos), helmets (sheloms) and chainmails (kolchugas).
Spoiler :

For no reason, I prefer the No 4. The barrel extending slightly eyond the body just gives it that little extra.

But personally, in terms of guns, I just love the look of the bullpup configuration.

That number 4 is nice, and the .22 adaptation of the SMLE is based on it, but the one I have is slightly lighter, shorter and has a rubber butt-plate, which for me translates into being more accurate (there are reports that it has a wandering zero, but I've never found that). As for bullpups, I've also used the SA80, and while it may look very nice and be lovely to shoot (you can use the magazine as a monopod) it's nowhere near as good as a handle for the bayonet and you can't use it to shoot round the 'wrong' side of cover very well at all.

As for armour, nothing will ever quite compare with full plate armour for 'awesome factor', especially not when attached to a lancer on horseback and viewed from the perspective of a lowly infanteer in a leather jacket if he's lucky.

I have next to no experience with firearms. So my comments are based on the looks and history of the weapons. My favourite looking gun is unquestionably the FN P90 (not exactly historical, though). The F2000 is aesthetically ruined by the magazine.

Doesn't anybody have any love for the trebuchet?

Hugely effective in the hands of skilled operators and lots of fun to use (toy ones anyway!).

Also, @Heretic_Cata the Urumi sword is awesome.

That last post meant to have a picture in it:

Top Bottom