Game of Thrones Season 5 discussion thread

Whatever they do, I think Kit Harrington was telling the truth, and we don't see Jon Snow next season. Now... the season after that? Who knows.

You don't need Kit Harrington, when Jon Snow is a white dire wolf for the time being! :mischief:

I think the book sets up warging into Ghost well, but I think if the show went in that direction it would be cheesy. Like others said we don't have much in the show about Jon Snow's warging powers, and Ghost did not even feature in the last episode.

I feel like this is one of those major plot points the show is going to alter, if that is indeed what happens in the books. There are other ways to avoid his return (if it happens) for a season.

I mean or he is really just dead dead.

Recently heard::mischief:
Q:What is the main difference between Lannisters and Greeks?
A:
Spoiler :
A Greek rarely pays his debts.

But between Greece and Dorne? :p

Spoiler :
Intransigent, insane, insolvent.

I think we are more like the Stormlands, tbh..

There was a good joke on FB, just after the 62% NO result in the referendum. The leader of the conservative party had not yet resigned (did so a little later), and it memed the 'Samaras is the Stannis Baratheon of Greek politics: he never gives up' :p

Also: "Samaras does not want to be prime minister because he likes it. He wants to because it is his by right" :lol:

Well we all know that the continent of Westeros resembles the shape, although flipped, that of Britain.

There's the Hadrian wall though, and the zombie Scots. Martin really had something against highlanders.

So, I am rereading the books as I flew through them too fast to keep up with the HBO series. But one that is bugging me is, who the heck is Quaithe? Quaithe is just a cover, like a mask, but do we know who she really is? Why she is so interested in Dany? I still have a hard time figuring out her riddles. I don't visit the ASOIAF forums since all they do is :deadhorse:

Quaithe did show up briefly when Dany first arrived at Qarth, or whatever that city in the desert was where dude betrayed her and stole her dragons. She was, I believe, the one with the weird giant box on her head at the party in the garden when she first arrived and was being introduced to people.

I don't know her fascination either, presumably since she was apparently magical in some way or another she saw some power in Dany or saw her as fulfilling some sort of magical prophecy. Or maybe she is playing her for her own personal reasons for power. Or something, I just chalk it up to "it will make sense once GRR wants it to make sense."

Quaithe is a Shadowbinder from Asshai, much like Melisandra. She is probably a more powerful sorceress than Melisandra, and is not also a Red Priestess who relies heavily on tricks to make her powers seem greater than they are. It is not yet clear why she refuses to show her face.

I've seen some speculation that Danaerys' dreams and visions of her are actually messages Quaithe sent in real time using Glass Candles. These enchanted obsidian instruments once allowed the sorcerers of Asshai as well as Valyria to see and communicate across long distances, but had not worked for generations until the dragons hatched.

It is rumored that all the magic of Valyria, and even their dragons, originated in Asshai by the Shadow. It is also rumored that wild dragons still live in the Shadow, but even the denizens of Asshai are not brave enough to find out.

Quaithe seems to want Denaerys to go east and investigate The Shadow.

I suppose that Asshai is the opposite of the Lands of Always Winter and the Lord of Light is an actual being that is residing on the ASOIF Earth. It could be very possible that Dany is a sort of Anti-Christ (not necessarily evil) and Jon Snow is a Christ like figure who brings balance once the White Walker King is defeated and Dany begins her world conquest.

GRRM could be using the Good-Evil, Light-Dark, Fire-Ice, Black-White literary dichotomies against the reader, and introduce a three pronged or trident like system to completely throw us off. Jon Snow could be destined to save and lead Man (on a different level than how Christianity views Jesus, or Judaism views the coming Messiah) and institute Old School Westerosi Polytheism while Dany is the tool of the Light and magic and rule everybody under the banner of Monotheism while the Whitewalker King is a tool of what would constitute Hades destroying everything and having essentially a Snowball Earth.

Or I could be dead wrong and Jon's dead dead, and Dany remains the Autocrat of Mereen until she is overthrown or dies while in power, while Westeros suffers a major human catastrophe and becomes a zombie continent (since it looks like the Others can't seem manage to get on a boat and hop onto an new island or new land). But that would really suck and that standoff stare between the Zombie King and Jon "don't call me Jesus" Snow, Tombstone style, was just a teasing waste.

Link to video.

warning majorly offensive to the easily offended!

(but on topic)

^^^ I am continually amazed at the creativity people. Awesome.

I mean or he is really just dead dead.
I think he's really just dead dead. Not that I remember him dying in book 5; perhaps I'll need to reread parts of it.

Beric Dondarrion is Azor Ahai. There's so far no mention of Snow as a warg - Brandon's the uber-warg. Rickard is the heir to Winterfell.

I don't know how closely this thread follows the books, but the obvious rising star is the other white haired heir, the one who wasn't actually killed.

It'd be a shame if HBO tries to write too much of the story themselves. I know they'll have little choice for the material from the final book, unless they can stretch book six into two seasons.

I can finally look over the thread, I finished the last episode!

I don't mind him dying per se, but I don't feel as attached to the characters that showed up later than the first few episodes. I don't mind people dying but there are fewer and fewer of the first characters to cheer from. And there are fewer and fewer of the central roster that I like. Hrm.

Considering that (in the books) Beric Dondarrioncould not be resurrected again after giving his life to bring back Catelyn Stark as "Lady Stoneheart," I doubt he could be Azor Ahai.

I'm not sure what you mean by "the other white haired heir," but I assume it is a reference to "Young Griff," the putative Aegon VI, who was at least raised to believe he was the son of Rhaegar? (It seems that among hardcore fans the more popular theory is that he is not a true Targaryen but a Blackfyre, at least on his mother's side.)

Young Griff did not have white hair. He had the silvery blond common among Targaryens, although when first encountered it was died blue following the Tyroshi fashion. That dye also made his eyes look a more common shade of blue rather than indigo like Rhaegar's.

Top Bottom