General Politics the second: But what is politics?

Status
Not open for further replies.
She sent five out-of-touch e-mails, each, frankly, out-of-touchier than the previous.

One out-of-touch e-mail was followed by another. But did it end there? No it did not. Nor with the one that came subsequent to those two. Nor even, if it can be believed, by the fourth. Nay. The out-of-touch e-mails did not surcease until a fifth out-of-touch e-mail was sent.

Last edited:
Does the Ivy League not hold that prestige?
Sure, of course it does, obviously. My point was to highlight that you were buying it... at least the argument that you were making was premised on the notion that you bought into the truth/merit of that prestige, in this case, whereas in other circumstances, you would dismiss it as elitist smoke-and-mirrors. You're trying to have it both ways a little bit here.

As an aside, in response to your question... In my experience, its a vicious (or virtuous depending on your perspective) cycle. The prestige brings more money which raises opportunity/achievement levels, which in turns raises prestige/pride, which brings in more money and so on. The system compounds and perpetuates itself... "rich get richer" as the saying goes.
I mean sure, I'm inclined towards "money talks, merit walks."
Right, again, that is more what I thought you'd say... which seems to contradict the argument that "Harvard is supposed to be the very best of the very best". Are they "the best of the best" or aren't they? You can't hold them to the standard of being better than everyone else if you don't actually believe they are better than everyone else.

@Lexicus and others' argument (paraphrasing) is that Gay is getting a degree of scrutiny/pressure/criticism because she is black, female, liberal, at a blue state school, that a white, male, conservative, at a red state school would never receive, particularly not from the Republicans that are prominently going after her in Congress. If it was a white, male, conservative, at a red state school, folks in general, not just Republicans, wouldn't give the tiniest crumb of dogsqueeze about his academic record.

Your response to this argument (paraphrasing) seemed to be... "No its not that, Harvard is better than those other lowly red state podunk schools. They're the best, they're the elite, so they have to apply greater scrutiny and live up to a higher standard than these backwater schools do."

So my response was "But you don't believe that... you don't believe that Harvard is better... you think they're frauds", so you can't claim that they're living up to their higher standards, because you don't believe they have any such higher standards. That's my point. Now if on the other hand, you believe it like "everybody else", fine, but then that undermines it a little when you want to gripe about "right sort of people" and such. Do you see what I am saying?

Its like when you called me out for laying "romanticization" of the Confederacy/Confederate flag at your feet. I recognized that I do it myself, so I can't just blame you for it, not with clean hands anyway.

Last edited:
Little may we be imagined to relish the derisive interrogation from high school peers who matriculated to inferior institutions.

Well, if pretending they do thier own research is "having it both ways," I suppose I should switch my stance to, she and they should be incarcerated or impoverished for theft.

How are there more US presidents than Harvard presidents?
Charles William Eliot

The out of touch e-mails. One followed another inexhaustibly until there were five such.

One out-of-touch e-mail, that we might have borne. But when we looked again, lo, there was a second. "When might this horror end?" we began to wonder. But it did not end at the next out-of-touch e-mail. Nor the next, even. No, not until President Gay had sent us a sum total of five out-of-touch e-mails did our nightmare conclude. And can we even now be sure that there will not be a sixth?

Last edited:
How are there more US presidents than Harvard presidents?
Harvard is ~140 years older than the United States. (Also, the US Presidency has had term limits for the last 72 years, although I'm not sure how many of our Presidents would have been given a 3rd term, even without the artificial limit. Probably only Reagan.)

Harvard is supposed to be the very best of the very best.
I read very few papers from Harvard, I am not convinced they are that good.

I found this, that are better than I expected but I am unsurprised they are behind California, I am always reading stanford papers. This is based on undergraduate degree.

Spoiler Another way to measure it :

Based on highest degree harvad does better, as does Cambridge.

Source

Last edited:
Charles William Eliot

The out of touch e-mails. One followed another inexhaustibly until there were five such.

What a weird guy.

While he proposed the reform of professional schools, the development of research faculties, and, in general, a huge broadening of the curriculum, his blueprint for undergraduate education in crucial ways preserved — and even enhanced — its traditional spiritual and character education functions. Echoing Emerson, he believed that every individual mind had "its own peculiar constitution." The problem, both in terms of fully developing an individual's capacities and in maximizing his social utility, was to present him with a course of study sufficiently representative so as "to reveal to him, or at least to his teachers and parents, his capacities and tastes." An informed choice once made, the individual might pursue whatever specialized branch of knowledge he found congenial.[6]

So 19th century.

During his tenure as Harvard's president he denied women's demands to be allowed the same educational opportunities as men. In response to these demands he was quoted as saying "the world “(knows) next to nothing about the natural mental capacities of the female sex.”" Regardless of Eliot's opposition, women were able to find educational instruction through the Harvard Annex where they could receive instruction from Harvard faculty. Within a decade this program grew to 200 female students, and resulted in the creation of Radcliffe College. In the aftermath of the formation of the college, Eliot, with reservations, countersigned the degrees of women who attend Radcliffe certifying the degrees received by these students are equivalent in everyway to those received by students at Harvard. He still maintained that there must be a separation of the sexes when it came to education.[26][27]

Well, if pretending they do thier own research is "having it both ways," I suppose I should switch my stance to, she and they should be incarcerated or impoverished for theft.
"Having it both ways" is saying "Harvard is the very best of the best" when it suits the point you are making and then "Harvard is just money over merit" when it suits some other argument/point you are making... If "having it both ways" is one of those fancy quoted terms that needs defining.

Harvard is ~140 years older than the United States. (Also, the US Presidency has had term limits for the last 72 years, although I'm not sure how many of our Presidents would have been given a 3rd term, even without the artificial limit. Probably only Reagan.)
Washington and Obama would have definitely gotten a 3rd term. Lincoln too if he had not been assassinated. So would Grant, McKinley, Woodrow Wilson, Eisenhower, and Clinton.

President Gay sent us five out-of-touch e-mails. Not one, which--given the aforementioned out-of-touch quality--must surely be regarded as one too many. But a second. And a third. (Yes, if that can be believed). And on up to, as we have indicated, five.

Surely, it is not too much to ask for an in touch president for the most exalted university in such reaches of the universe as are known to be inhabited. And yet the e-mail evidence establishes, clearly and abundantly*, that President Gay is in fact out of touch.

*five e-mails.

Five shall be the number of out-of touch-emails that thou shalt have received, and the number of out-of touch-emails that thou shalt have received shalt be five. Six shalt thou not receive, neither shalt thou receive four, three or two, excepting that thou then proceedeth straight to five. Seven is right out. Once the number five, being the fifth number be reached, then lobbest thou thy calls and demands for resignation and firing towards thy foe, who, being naughty in My sight, shall resign."

Washington and Obama would have definitely gotten a 3rd term. Lincoln too if he had not been assassinated. So would Grant, McKinley, Woodrow Wilson, Eisenhower, and Clinton.
Well, we've only had term limits since 1952*. But you're right, Washington definitely would have been elected again. Everybody wanted him to stay, which is why he stepped down. I thought about Eisenhower and Clinton. Obama-v-Trump in 2016 is a very interesting thought experiment. I don't think any of those three are a lock, but yeah, I think they're the next-most likely after Reagan.

* Technically, the 22nd Amendment was ratified in 1951, but the next election was '52.

Last edited:
"Having it both ways" is saying "Harvard is the very best of the best" when it suits the point you are making and then "Harvard is just money over merit" when it suits some other argument/point you are making... If "having it both ways" is one of those fancy quoted terms that needs defining.
Well, if they aren't even going to pretend to be anything other than nobles, the French had discovered this one neat trick.

President Gay sent us five out-of-touch e-mails. Not one, which--given the aforementioned out-of-touch quality--must surely be regarded as one too many. But a second. And a third. (Yes, if that can be believed). And on up to, as we have indicated, five.
1704398361227.jpg

I read very few papers from Harvard, I am not convinced they are that good.

I found this, that are better than I expected but I am unsurprised they are behind California, I am always reading stanford papers. This is based on undergraduate degree.

Spoiler Another way to measure it :

Based on highest degree harvad does better, as does Cambridge.

Source
There are loads of subsets of papers by institusion, I have spoilered some below but I see no evidence Harvard is any good at all at real reaserch. This is probably the biggest subset and the only one on which Harvard makes the cut at all, "NeurIPS conference data, accepted papers from all conference instances since 1987". It is obviously rubbish as the other place is higher than us ;), but this data is harder to come by than it should be.

Spoiler More graphs :

I also found this, "2668 selected Scopus papers using English keywords ("ubiquitous" AND "learning")" and they do not get a look in

Or this? It is restricted to papers in "stereology in biomedical research" So the VA Medical centre and UC Davis are the best? I have worked with a few people from UC Davis, they were all a good laugh to go out on the piss with.

I have not actually read any of these papers, just looked at the pictures. I am not sure what these graphs are showing.

Last edited:
Academia will be fine.

I'm sure the right-wingers stole the plagiarism accusations from someone else.

No way they read scholarly articles.

The President of MIT is the last of the big 3 from the Congressional testimony.

All eyes are on MIT president Sally Kornbluth after two other major university leaders who testified at a congressional hearing about antisemitism on campuses last month lost their jobs in the political maelstrom that followed.

Why it matters: Kornbluth leads the country's No. 2 university and is a big player in Boston's economy, teaching and fostering the scientific industries Massachusetts specializes in.

Context: University of Pennsylvania President Liz Magill was the first to go...

Thinking about US administrations in some parallel universe where the 22nd Amendment was never ratified and US Presidents are not bound by term limits, I note that Ronald Reagan was 77 yrs old in 1988. I still think he could've been elected for a 3rd term, but I guess then the question is whether he'd have run again. Contrast that with Barack Obama, who was only 54 in 2015. [Heck], he could've served 4 or 5 terms. I do think Bernie Sanders wouldn't have been as much of a factor, because if Obama had been going for a 3rd term, there wouldn't have been a Democratic Primary and Sanders would have had to run as an independent in the general. (a) I'm convinced Sanders made as much noise as he did in part because it was the primary and not the general, and (b) I don't know if he would have run as an independent in the general. He could have done that anyway, but he didn't, presumably because he worried that he would pull more votes from Clinton than from Trump.

So if we assume the 2016 Republican Primary plays out in basically the same way, but there is no Democratic Primary, then it's Trump-v-Obama in the general, and we're sort of back to the upstart vs the establishment candidate, albeit a stronger and more popular establishment candidate than Clinton was in the real world. But then we have to remember that Clinton did defeat Trump in the popular vote. It looks like overall voter turnout was pretty close, close enough that it doesn't immediately appear to have been a strong determining factor, unless some closer analysis reveals key differences in certain constituencies or demographic groups. It was all in the Electoral Votes. Flipping back-and-forth between the electoral maps of 2012 and 2016, Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio and Pennsylvania flipped from blue to red. Unless we think Obama could've plausibly won a state in 2016 that he didn't win in 2012*, those 5 states are where the whole thing resides. Would Obama have retained enough of those states that Clinton lost to win the electoral vote?

* Without giving it too much thought, I think this might be possible, maybe even plausible. You would need enough moderate-conservative voters who voted for Romney in 2012 to decide that Trump was just too crass for them in 2016. You'd necessarily be talking about people who didn't vote for Hilary Clinton over Trump, so they couldn't have been too turned off by Trump's personality and shenanigans. But just enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom