German help needed!

Mirc

Not mIRC!!!
I noticed a lot of people asked for German help on this forum, so why not make one more thread like that? :p

Okay, so here's the story:

I'm applying for a university in Germany, among other places I'm trying to get in at. I've started "serious" German lessons, after about 4 years of a break (before which I studied it for about 1 year, but not intensely at all), and of course, what better way to start German lessons than with a long break!

Basically I had one lesson and one "translation session" to be able to understand everything on the University's website, so I can apply before the deadline, and I'll resume studying it after New Year's. That's the "starting break" I was talking about. :D

My teacher is young and had contact with German from a very, very early age, which is what I like a lot about her (because I'd rather learn the language than the grammar, especially since the grammar was my strongest point last time I studied German, and I completely lacked the vocabulary), but because of that reason, she's doing great in conversation but has some trouble with formal expressions and things related to education (since she never studied in Germany).

So there were 3 fields in the application that we couldn't understand. Anyone care to explain them to me? If needed, I'll provide a link to the .pdf form to put those things in a context.

Here they are:
1) "adressierter DIN A 4 Rückumschlag mit Porto in der jeweiligen Höhe (z.Zt. 1,45 Euro)"
2) "Mannliche Bewerber: Bescheinigung über die Ableistung der Bundeswehr oder des Zivildienstes"
3) "Bitte geben Sie hier ggf. Ihren Dozentenwunsch an"

(the first two are in the "documents to be enclosed with the letter" part, the last one contains an empty field for me to write in)

Keep in mind that:
1) it's a music university, and looking in a dictionary "Porto" can mean "repertoire", could it refer to my musical repertoire? I've been asked to sent a list of my repertoire in US applications, so it's not at all out of the question. Anyway, that 1,45 Euro really confuses the hell out of me. :p
2) from my understanding it's something about military service?? since it asks only "male applicants", am I right? I still don't get what they want from me though!
3) "please give/write here your "lecture/lecturer wish/preference"? Does this mean who I want to study with, or what area I want to study? It already asked me what instrument and what kind of training I'm looking for (performing, pedagogy, composing, etc), so the latter seems kind of unlikely. Oh and I hate those abbreviations, what does "ggf." mean? Or "z.Zt" in 1)?

Thanks a lot in advance!! :D
:beer: <- some GOOD German beer for you guys!

1.) an envelope in DIN A4 format with your adress on it and a 1,45&#8364; postage stamp, so they can send something back to you
2.) certificate about your military service or alternative civilian service (in germany you can do an alternative civilian service if you dont want to do the military service)
3.) which tutor you would prefer

ggf = gegebenenfalls, that means "if applicable"
z.Zt. = zur Zeit, meaning "at the moment"

1.) an envelope in DIN A4 format with your adress on it and a 1,45&#8364; postage stamp
Ah that was so much simpler than what I imagined. :crazyeye: Thanks a lot! :D

2.) certificate about your military service or alternative civilian service (in germany you can do an alternative civilian service if you dont want to do the military service)
Hmmm.... Military service is not compulsory here. :( I have no idea what proof of that I could bring. CIA Factbook? :D I must not be the first applicant to come from a country where military service is not compulsory, so there must be a way!

Thanks again!!!
3.) which tutor you would prefer
Ah, at least I had this one kinda right! :D (it was the version I suspected it would have been)

Thanks a lot!!!!

As for 2.), simply tell them that military service isn't required in your country. I doubt that they want to see a proof for that :D

Spoiler Quote :
I noticed a lot of people asked for German help on this forum, so why not make one more thread like that? :p

Okay, so here's the story:

I'm applying for a university in Germany, among other places I'm trying to get in at. I've started "serious" German lessons, after about 4 years of a break (before which I studied it for about 1 year, but not intensely at all), and of course, what better way to start German lessons than with a long break!

Basically I had one lesson and one "translation session" to be able to understand everything on the University's website, so I can apply before the deadline, and I'll resume studying it after New Year's. That's the "starting break" I was talking about. :D

My teacher is young and had contact with German from a very, very early age, which is what I like a lot about her (because I'd rather learn the language than the grammar, especially since the grammar was my strongest point last time I studied German, and I completely lacked the vocabulary), but because of that reason, she's doing great in conversation but has some trouble with formal expressions and things related to education (since she never studied in Germany).

So there were 3 fields in the application that we couldn't understand. Anyone care to explain them to me? If needed, I'll provide a link to the .pdf form to put those things in a context.

Here they are:
1) "adressierter DIN A 4 Rückumschlag mit Porto in der jeweiligen Höhe (z.Zt. 1,45 Euro)"
2) "Mannliche Bewerber: Bescheinigung über die Ableistung der Bundeswehr oder des Zivildienstes"
3) "Bitte geben Sie hier ggf. Ihren Dozentenwunsch an"

(the first two are in the "documents to be enclosed with the letter" part, the last one contains an empty field for me to write in)

Keep in mind that:
1) it's a music university, and looking in a dictionary "Porto" can mean "repertoire", could it refer to my musical repertoire? I've been asked to sent a list of my repertoire in US applications, so it's not at all out of the question. Anyway, that 1,45 Euro really confuses the hell out of me. :p
2) from my understanding it's something about military service?? since it asks only "male applicants", am I right? I still don't get what they want from me though!
3) "please give/write here your "lecture/lecturer wish/preference"? Does this mean who I want to study with, or what area I want to study? It already asked me what instrument and what kind of training I'm looking for (performing, pedagogy, composing, etc), so the latter seems kind of unlikely. Oh and I hate those abbreviations, what does "ggf." mean? Or "z.Zt" in 1)?

Thanks a lot in advance!! :D
:beer: <- some GOOD German beer for you guys!

1) nice guess. :lol:
it means "postal charges" though. ;)

2) it definitely only applies to germans. they want a certification that you did your compulsory military service. (as needed for any job application too)
if there is compulsory military service in romania you might want to ask them if they need a certification about it.

3. they mean you can declare a preferred lecturer. if you want to.
("ggf." means "gegebenenfalls". which could translate to "if necessary". in this case it means "if you wish to".)
("z.Zt." means "zur Zeit", which means "at the moment")

Many universities have special documents for foreign students. You might mistakenly use a document for german appliers when they demand a certificate about your military services.

Many universities have special documents for foreign students. You might mistakenly use a document for german appliers when they demand a certificate about your military servics.

No, I specifically checked with the teacher and there is just one document, only in German for all the applicants. The website has an English version which is totally and completely in pure German. :p (and the "English" version points to the same .pdf form, and I know there are no courses in English there so it kinda makes sense). There is a "clarification" brochure in English though (which was a godsend for me), but that made no mention of those three fields I didn't understand.

1) nice guess. :lol:
it means "postal charges" though. ;)
Haha. :p Well I'm kind of a beginner, you know. :lol:

2) it definitely only applies to germans. they want a certification that you did your compulsory military service. (as needed for any job application too)
if there is compulsory military service in romania you might want to ask them if they need a certification about it.
There isn't, so that one will be solved easily. :)

3. they mean you can declare a preferred lecturer. if you want to.
("ggf." means "gegebenfalls". which could translate to "if necessary". in this case it means if you wish to.)
("z.Zt." means "zur Zeit", which means "at the moment")

Great!! Thanks a lot. :D To you all. :D

well, if I remember my time at the Complutense correctly, Europe indeed has at least two ways you apply to a university. alas, I am old so this might have changed.

1) regular curriculum. you apply just like a person from the country would. including all benefits, obligations, and whatnot.
2) a guest spot (usually restricted to two semesters and you will have to be enrolled with a university that is recognized/accepted by the university where you want to study at). these might be very different for each country. if you are enrolled with a university in your country DO check if your university has a partnership with a German university. ERASMUS is what you should consult if you are a student at a European university.

I wouldn't do that second thing unless I was forced to. I want to complete serious studies somewhere, with a good teacher. :) Guest spot wouldn't give me enough of the studying I need. One or two semesters just won't be enough, if I have only that long I'll be trying to go to Holland, Italy or the US (although Germany is on top of my priority list right now). I know about that though, and I know people who left using that and came back having the time of their lives.

Anyway, I'm only next year starting university, so unfortunately I can't go using something like ERASMUS even if I tried to, because I'm trying to start my post-highschool education somewhere else, not change later it starting it here. :)

Thanks a lot for the advice BTW. I don't think we have many partnerships with music colleges anyway, so even if I tried unfortunately I don't think I would succeed in that. Better for me to go on my own, find my place, go through everything I need, etc. I love being independent like that. :D

well what you want to have then, as far as my limited knowledge of these matters reach, is a regular "Studiengang" (the whole nine yards, basically) at a German university just the way a German would complete it. I would not know about music colleges, not being able to even identify a single note myself, but it might be of interest for you to know that there are many foreigners studying full time (as you would be doing) in the language department of my university (munich) for various reasons. it is not that uncommon and apparently not that difficult, seeing as a lot of people do it.

you will have to go through all that German bureaucratic nonse. that can't be helped. chances are that the school you have in mind will more likely than not have a department designed especially for people like you to help you through the application process, direct you to places to find an appartement or homes where you can spend the first semester (I only know this through some Spaniards I used to know, splendid if you want to be amongst people whom you understand and want to spend some time with, not very good if you want to immerse yourself in the target culture and perfect your language skills) till you get sorted and give you, say, the e-mail adresses of people from your country who have done what you want to do. these will will be able to help you more than any of us here can.

seeing as you are from Romania I would advise offering what we call a "tandem" (a bike which two people have to ride, you teach them your language, they teach you theirs) at your local mensa/caffeteria. Romanian is usually the step-child of the romance languages in these parts (French, Spanish and Italian being the big dogs) but there are people who are interested and study the eastern varieties who would -literally- kill for an opportunity to either have a case-study in spe or somebody to practice with.

:bump: Thanks again everyone!

(I forgot to answer that post, but I'll definitely keep your suggestions in mind, scherbchen)

New question: can anyone help me translate this little bit of text? I need to justify why I don't send a highschool diploma together with my application documents.

"I do not yet have a highschool diploma, as I am still in the last year in highschool.
The normal school year in Romania ends in late June, with the last year ending in July. However, as I am planning to go study abroad, I made some arrangements to take the necessary exams earlier, therefore I will finish it in early June. I will make sure to send the diploma as soon as I receive it. Until then, I will send together with my application a document confirming my school grades as of now."

Thanks in advance, guys. :)

Momentan bin ich noch nicht in der Lage ein Abschlusszeugnis vorzulegen. Das Schuljahr in Romänien endet, in der Regel, erst im Juni und das Abschlussjahr selbst nicht vor Juli. Selbstverständlich werde ich Ihnen das Abschlusszeugnis sobald wie möglich zukommen lassen.

Erlauben Sie mir, bitte, statdessen Ihnen bis dahin zu meiner Bewerbung lediglich ein aktuelles Zwischenzeugnis beizufügen.
(mid-term diploma? or is it a note by your teachers?)

retranslated into English (I might have a funny way of phrasing German letters. I am very formal):

at the moment I am not yet able to provide a high school diploma. the romanian high school year ends in june while the graduating class does not end before july. i will certainly forward my high school diploma to you as soon as i receive it.

please allow me to include, in lieu of an actual diploma, my mid term reports along with my application until then.

please do not use this until one or two other native speakers have looked at it :D

No, it's a paper released by the Secretariate to confirm my entire school situation ever since I was 13. :) That has been officially translated into German (aka translated and notarized). They mentioned something similar to that on their website.

Thanks a lot!!! :D

I'll do what you say and wait for others to confirm it, if you say so, but thanks so much anyway.
I needed the help because if I attempted to translate it myself, while I would have definitely gotten something intelligible, it would have sounded Borat-esque to the extreme. :D

Thanks, can't wait to register myself now. :cool:

Oh and small little question - how do you say "single" as in "unmarried"? I know a word but don't know if it's the right one (they just gave me an additional form, which contains a marital status field).

I'll be the first CFCer to owe part of my admission process to this forum!!! :D

I'll be the first CFCer to owe part of my admission process to this forum!!! :D

Second.

I :love: Till!

EDIT: Are you going to be in Germany in May-July?

Momentan bin ich noch nicht in der Lage ein Abschlusszeugnis vorzulegen. Das Schuljahr in Romänien endet, in der Regel, erst im Juni und das Abschlussjahr selbst nicht vor Juli. Selbstverständlich werde ich Ihnen das Abschlusszeugnis sobald wie möglich zukommen lassen.

Erlauben Sie mir, bitte, statdessen Ihnen bis dahin zu meiner Bewerbung lediglich ein aktuelles Zwischenzeugnis beizufügen.

please do not use this until one or two other native speakers have looked at it :D

Very good :) !

Just a few typos:
It´s "Rumänien", not "Romänien" .
And it´s stattdessen, not statdessen. And perhaps I would say "Ihnen stattdessen", not the other way around, sounds a bit clunky imho.

Suggestion: vorläufig instead of lediglich? Somehow I don´t like the lediglich in there :).

Edit @ Mirc: "single" would be "ledig" in formal German.

I agree, although "in der Regel" doesn't need to be in between commas and I 'd just loose "lediglich", which doubles up with "bis dahin" (I'd use either the one or the other, not both). Also, I'd loose "bitte", as it doubles up with "Erlauben sie mir". (Dito.);)

I agree, although "in der Regel" doesn't need to be in between commas and I 'd just loose "lediglich", which doubles up with "bis dahin" (I'd use either the one or the other, not both). Also, I'd loose "bitte", as it doubles up with "Erlauben sie mir". (Dito.);)
pretty much agree. If you want to you can still use 'bitte' but put it to the front: Bitte erlauben Sie mir...

agreed on the changes :)

Top Bottom