Great Recession of 2020

Only way to really fix that is get society to consider it essential, chase more people into industry, and smash down the compensation for now normal and generalized skills. Same with the supply chains. And then, it might still not be fixed, yah.

Only way to really fix that is get society to consider it essential, chase more people into industry, and smash down the compensation for now normal and generalized skills. Same with the supply chains. And then, it might still not be fixed, yah.

Nothing Farm Boy, whoever pass this trial and survived, they are survivor, whoever not they are the toll, this is a survival test, and the only solution is to stop the pandemic and only with that everything back to normal, until that time big and small people or company falling down. This is not the first time humanity face epidemic and the solution of this is just to survive keep alive and keep your company survive through this test. Make a plan for 3 month with zero income, or plan b 6 month with no income, if your cash flow can pass that you are survived, if not byebye.

The provisions in the stimulus meant to help small businesses have done piss-all to date. The money is not getting into the system because the government decided to have big banks be in charge of disbursing it but have given insufficient instructions to the banks to actually issue the money. Many small businesses are going to die as a result, further entrenching the hold of big business on our country.

And of course Trump is lying about how the program is progressing because of course he is. He makes claims like '$70B in loans have been processed' when actually all that has happened is that $70B has been earmarked for loans but almost none of that has actually been lent out.

The number of people who couldn't pay rent in March climbed 12%. Only 69% of renters were able to make rent last month and most states have no protections for them. I wonder if the new housing/homeless crisis will come to a head before the covid situation is resolved or if we're going to have to face both simultaneously.

Last edited:
The provisions in the stimulus meant to help small businesses have done piss-all to date. The money is not getting into the system because the government decided to have big banks be in charge of disbursing it but have given insufficient instructions to the banks to actually issue the money.

Many small businesses are going to die as a result, further entrenching the hold of big business on our country.

And of course Trump is lying about how the program is progressing because of course he is. He makes claims like '$70B in loans have been processed' when actually all that has happened is that $70B has been earmarked for loans but almost none of that has actually been lent out.

Anecdotally... a small NH bank was on the news last night noting that they're already completed some small-business loans, one notable customer was a well-known NH regional restaurant that said as a result of the loan they've been able to keep all their employees on payroll and are covering all tip income too. The bank rep noted that they've been more flexible and reactive than the big banks with this which is why they're actually getting the loans done already.

I can't tell if the sandbagging by the big banks is an exercise in ass-covering, biding time while they figure out how to maximally monetize the situation, or both.

Anecdotally... a small NH bank was on the news last night noting that they're already completed some small-business loans, one notable customer was a well-known NH regional restaurant that said as a result of the loan they've been able to keep all their employees on payroll and are covering all tip income too. The bank rep noted that they've been more flexible and reactive than the big banks with this which is why they're actually getting the loans done already.
So...I interpret "covering all tip income" as "paying their waiters minimum wage" based on how waiters get paid? I'm glad their employees are still getting paid, but I hope they're getting paid enough to survive to the point where it wouldn't be better for them to just collect unemployment.

So...I interpret "covering all tip income" as "paying their waiters minimum wage" based on how waiters get paid? I'm glad their employees are still getting paid, but I hope they're getting paid enough to survive to the point where it wouldn't be better for them to just collect unemployment.

Good question, they weren't specific about it but while I am almost certainly biased, the sentiment seemed to be that they're paying the wait staff from the business what they used to make via tips, i.e. no net loss in income.

Good question, they weren't specific about it but while I am almost certainly biased, the sentiment seemed to be that they're paying the wait staff from the business what they used to make via tips, i.e. no net loss in income.
That's good news, and exactly what the loans should be used for!

Considering that whatever portion of the borrowed amount that is paid out to employees will be paid by the federal government the bank has incentive to push the borrower to disburse as much as possible to the employees and there is no incentive for the borrower to not disburse as much as they can to employees. The down side here is corruption.

Consider a small business, like for example a political consultancy firm. Let's say, just for the sake of example even though there's a specific clause against profiteering Trump's that the firm was originally organized so that money could be funneled from campaign contributions into family pockets and the four employees are Jared, Ivanka, D'ump Jr, and Eric. So they've each had a $10,000 a month salary, paid out of the proceeds from the company's contract with the D'ump campaign. But under the CARES act their little business can get a loan and use the entire amount to pay their salaries for however long the maximum loan amount will last, all while the payments from the campaign accumulate in an account. When the loan money runs out they file and show that the entire amount was used for paying employees and the entire loan is paid off by the US government. Then they continue being paid out of the money accumulated in the account and the proceeds that are still coming in. In fact, they need to be given raises to bleed down that account.

Now, there are two reasons there is a specific "no Trump companies" clause. The first reason is that everyone in congress knew that the law as written would have allowed Trump to do this so he most certainly would have. The second reason is that while Republicans in the Senate couldn't deny that they had created a loophole Trump could raid the treasury through, they wanted to keep the focus on stopping Trump from raiding the treasury rather than just closing the loophole. Anyone want to guess why?

Goverments burning money to cover the lockdown.

Every man, women, child, on the hock for 10k.

Ones who pay tax more like $30k.

2 weeks of lockdown left cabinet deciding April 20th if they extend it.

https://i.stuff.co.nz/life-style/fo...have-been-paid-in-welfare-amid-covid19-crisis

10k added to unemployment benefit more to come.

It will be overwhelmingly cheaper than letting people accumulate household debt instead. 400 basis points or so? Remember, your central bank is doing a 30 billion dollar quantitative easing, so talking about the public being in hoc is a little imprecise

Another 6.6 million managed to get on the jobless rolls this week, bringing the total to ~ 17 million for the last 3 weeks. With all the problems reported with the systems for applying for this, I wonder what the real total is. 20 million would seem low, 30 possibly a bit high?

Another 6.6 million managed to get on the jobless rolls this week, bringing the total to ~ 17 million for the last 3 weeks. With all the problems reported with the systems for applying for this, I wonder what the real total is. 20 million would seem low, 30 possibly a bit high?

STL fed estimated 32% so my math brings the total to ~50 mil with that estimate.

Pandemic Speeds Up Corporate Investment in Automation

BY MARK MAURER

Finance chiefs are considering hastening investments in automation initiatives to better manage their companies’ finances and operations despite facing revenue declines stemming from the coronavirus pandemic.

While many finance executives are slashing costs to weather the downturn, some view investments in technology as essential to better equip newly remote finance teams or strengthen other parts of the business. “For many, the crisis is accelerating the vision that they’ve already had for a long time,” said Michael Heric, a partner in consulting firm Bain & Co.’s technology, media and telecommunications practices.

Eastman Chemical Co. ex-pects recent digital investments into customer relationship management automation —which helps companies track engagement with customers— to pay off within the finance team and across the company as many employees work from home, Willie McLain, chief financial officer of the Kingsport, Tenn.-based specialty chemical company, said in an interview.

Eastman is on track for $20 million to $40 million in cost savings this year stemming from recent digital and other productivity investments, Mr. McLain said at a conference on March 10.

Huntsman Corp., the Woodlands, Texas-based chemical manufacturer, wants to use automation to make its shared services—centralized pro-feed cesses ranging from accounting to human resources—more efficient. Sean Douglas, the company’s finance chief, said it is too early to pinpoint specific opportunities but noted that Huntsman’s need for automation remains on the company’s agenda during the pandemic. “We’re a little bit still on the beginning side of that path,” Mr. Douglas said. “There’s lots that can be done in this company by automating.”

For many companies, a finance department’s core transactional processes—such as closing the books, accounts payable, customer billing and processing supplier invoices— aren’t fully automated. Companies with shared-services employees who aren’t able to work from home are more likely to make a big push during the pandemic to automate processes, executives say. “If you can’t send a bill to a customer or you can’t send a check to an employee, all of those operations basically halt,” said Mr. Heric of Bain. “You’ll struggle to close the books if there’s a lot of manual things that are going on.”

Fallout from the pandemic could change the pace of automation adoption, the execution of which has been slow for many companies, according to Bain. The proportion of companies ramping up globally on automation technologies will at least double over the next two years, according a Bain survey of nearly 800 executives, one-third of which work in finance.

Many companies will have no choice but to employ automation to maintain their businesses in a bid to cut down on labor costs and other expenses. Automation of business processes could eliminate 20% to 25% of jobs world-wide by the end of the decade, Bain said.

Eastman Chemical uses automation to manage its client relationships. EASTMAN CHEMICAL/REUTERS

Eastman Chemical uses automation to manage its client relationships
So what does that mean?
  • A fancy address book (that is what salesforce sells, right?)
  • Spambots
  • Robot salesmen
  • Autobribeomatic 2020 ©

So what does that mean?
  • A fancy address book (that is what salesforce sells, right?)
  • Spambots
  • Robot salesmen
  • Autobribeomatic 2020 ©
At this stage, it is most likely billing and check writing. For selling it could include some automated emailing. Good selling for commercial accounts is not easily automated, but if you can automate both billing and check writing, you can reduce the size and complexity of your accounting department. Currently, many companies outsource payroll, but if they could keep it in house but automated, then that would be a big savings.

At this stage, it is most likely billing and check writing. For selling it could include some automated emailing. Good selling for commercial accounts is not easily automated, but if you can automate both billing and check writing, you can reduce the size and complexity of your accounting department. Currently, many companies outsource payroll, but if they could keep it in house but automated, then that would be a big savings.
Is there anyone doing manual billing and check writing these days? The only bills I have had in the last decade that is not automated have been from sole traders.

Is there anyone doing manual billing and check writing these days? The only bills I have had in the last decade that is not automated have been from sole traders.
Lots of smaller companies do. They have manual, multiple approval policies for checks and often hand sign checks. Best practices often include separating creating checks, approving checks and signing checks. Fraud protection.

Another Bailout for Wallstreet.

16 million people just got laid off but U.S. stocks had their best week in 45 years
When you remove near term bankruptcy risk from every publicly held company regardless of credit rating or near-term financial condition, asset prices should rise,” Colas added. “Markets know that no matter how bad cash flow might be there is a Fed loan backstop waiting in the wings if needed.”What’s more, he said, “The Fed knows it must keep equity markets stable to rising in order to keep the 40% of Americans who own stocks sufficiently liquid and confident to spark a recovery in consumer spending. This is the classic wealth effect, something the Federal Reserve understands well.”

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/1...eek-in-45-years-2020-04-10?mod=bnbh_mwarticle

Top Bottom