Is Britain about to leave the EU?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now the only thing left to the EU is to invade Britain and split it among pro-EU states like Great Scotland, New Celtic republic and Londonistan.

Edit: Seriously while I am greatful to Britain for giving up a finger to the present EU leadership there may be a time for united Ireland and Gibraltar rejoining Spain as well as free Scotland.

Now the only thing left to the EU is to invade Britain and split it among pro-EU states like Great Scotland, New Celtic republic and Londonistan.

Sounds like something out of a dystopian novel.

Pretty sad that this actually happened... Looks like Putin's dream is coming true. Weak EU, weak support for Ukraine/Baltic, ez annexation time.

I hope they shut down the US stock market on Friday. I'm pretty sure the 250 point gain today will evaporate tomorrow. Suspending trading for a day will allow things to settle down a bit.

The NASDAQ futures index appears to be already down about 5%. I'm not sure what the usual threshold for suspension would be, though. FTSE futures index is down about 10% meanwhile, similar to DAX.

The Nikkei is down 8% today already. ASX seems to have settled at about -3.5% for the last few hours.

My sister and her boyfriend are moving to the UK quite soon, and had decided to hold off on buying pounds. Seems like a smart decision.

Well the pound is going to plummet over the next week. Scottish independence looks like it is actually legitimately back on the table now

Sounds like something out of a dystopian novel.

Pretty sad that this actually happened... Looks like Putin's dream is coming true. Weak EU, weak support for Ukraine/Baltic, ez annexation time.
Russia has its own problems and I bet Putin dreams are different. What matters is that its the policies of present kind of EU leadership which made British to leave not Russia.

Why wouldn't it get any traction? The vote was close last time and a significant element of the no vote was fear over relationship with the EU.

Traction with Westminster.

Calls for another referendum will be easily swatted down as a vote was already held and a decision was already made for this generation. You can't just keep re-voting a referendum until it finally passes without completely undermining the legitimacy of the process.

Traction with Westminster.

Calls for another referendum will be easily swatted down as a vote was already held and a decision was already made for this generation. You can't just keep re-voting a referendum until it finally passes without completely undermining the legitimacy of the process.
A major major variable changed. In fact the risks of independent Scotland being unable to get into the EU or unable to get in under the same agreement the UK had was a big big "remain" argument. Such a massive variable change certainly make a revote legitimate without making the whole process look like a farce.

A new Scottish referendum is almost necessary really.

Gibraltar's life about to get very tricky too.

Life isnt fair. EU will reform (also thanks to the British) but the Britain will desintagrate.

It's pretty extraordinary that Jeremy Corbyn is essentially asking David Cameron not to resign (yet).
Isn't that the kind of statesmanship that everybody claims Corbyn isn't capable of exercising?

Well, Cameron is the one who started this whole shtick, so he should be the one to actually finish it. He started and inflated it all to shore up domestic support through populism, and he saw it blow up in his face, it would be a bit too easy to jump off the ship right now.

So, the UK people have spoken, and we are at the crossroad of history.
There are two big potential threats looming ahead (EU unraveling and another economic crisis), and a lot of potential good things to come out of it (big wake-up call for the EU about dealing with what is disliked in how it runs, ability to finally move forward now that the constant blocker is gone, maybe a possibility to implement taxation on capital movements for the same reason...).

I'd really like to see history books (or whatever would be used in place of books) from 200 years on about how these events will be seen with hindsight.

Incredibly stupid vote by the British. Those voting to curb immigration will just see a shift from Spaniards and poles to Indians and Nigerians. The pound will take a historic beating, and the UK itself will most likely disintegrate, with Scotland leaving. And of course the City of London will lose its preeminent place in global finance. Everybody will be poorer.

But democracy is democracy. There was a long debate, and the majority has spoken. Let their decision be respected, and let them pay the price.

If Scotland actually left the UK they wouldn't just automatically get to join the EU. Spain would most certainly block them.

Not so sure now if Podemos and its Catalan allies win the general election

But democracy is democracy. There was a long debate, and the majority has spoken. Let their decision be respected, and let them pay the price.

If things go as apocalyptic as many have predicted, everyone has to pay the price.

Cameron just resigned....!

Edit:

A new PM in place by October
What a coward.

Edit : Oh, he isn't to resign until October. Well, then it's okay, he has time to swallow the result of his idiocy.

He did something stupid and risky, and when it blew up in his dumb face he took the coward's way out.
Who's just like Hitler now ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom