1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Is Britain about to leave the EU?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Mega Tsunami, Jan 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mechanicalsalvation

Mechanicalsalvation -

Now the only thing left to the EU is to invade Britain and split it among pro-EU states like Great Scotland, New Celtic republic and Londonistan.

Edit: Seriously while I am greatful to Britain for giving up a finger to the present EU leadership there may be a time for united Ireland and Gibraltar rejoining Spain as well as free Scotland.

2. Inexist

Inexist Chieftain

Sounds like something out of a dystopian novel.

Pretty sad that this actually happened... Looks like Putin's dream is coming true. Weak EU, weak support for Ukraine/Baltic, ez annexation time.

3. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

The NASDAQ futures index appears to be already down about 5%. I'm not sure what the usual threshold for suspension would be, though. FTSE futures index is down about 10% meanwhile, similar to DAX.

The Nikkei is down 8% today already. ASX seems to have settled at about -3.5% for the last few hours.

My sister and her boyfriend are moving to the UK quite soon, and had decided to hold off on buying pounds. Seems like a smart decision.

4. Gucumatz

Gucumatz JS, secretly Rod Serling

Well the pound is going to plummet over the next week. Scottish independence looks like it is actually legitimately back on the table now

5. Mechanicalsalvation

Mechanicalsalvation -

Russia has its own problems and I bet Putin dreams are different. What matters is that its the policies of present kind of EU leadership which made British to leave not Russia.

6. cav scout

cav scout The Continuum

Traction with Westminster.

Calls for another referendum will be easily swatted down as a vote was already held and a decision was already made for this generation. You can't just keep re-voting a referendum until it finally passes without completely undermining the legitimacy of the process.

7. kramerfan86

kramerfan86 Chieftain

A major major variable changed. In fact the risks of independent Scotland being unable to get into the EU or unable to get in under the same agreement the UK had was a big big "remain" argument. Such a massive variable change certainly make a revote legitimate without making the whole process look like a farce.

8. Arwon

Arwon

A new Scottish referendum is almost necessary really.

Gibraltar's life about to get very tricky too.

9. Mechanicalsalvation

Mechanicalsalvation -

Life isnt fair. EU will reform (also thanks to the British) but the Britain will desintagrate.

10. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

It's pretty extraordinary that Jeremy Corbyn is essentially asking David Cameron not to resign (yet).

11. Lillefix

Lillefix I'm serious. You can.

I suppose Boris Johnson as Prime Minister is not what the UK need right now.

12. Dachs

Dachs Hero of the Soviet Union

Isn't that the kind of statesmanship that everybody claims Corbyn isn't capable of exercising?

13. Akka

Akka Moody old mage.

Well, Cameron is the one who started this whole shtick, so he should be the one to actually finish it. He started and inflated it all to shore up domestic support through populism, and he saw it blow up in his face, it would be a bit too easy to jump off the ship right now.

So, the UK people have spoken, and we are at the crossroad of history.
    There are two big potential threats looming ahead (EU unraveling and another economic crisis), and a lot of potential good things to come out of it (big wake-up call for the EU about dealing with what is disliked in how it runs, ability to finally move forward now that the constant blocker is gone, maybe a possibility to implement taxation on capital movements for the same reason...).

I'd really like to see history books (or whatever would be used in place of books) from 200 years on about how these events will be seen with hindsight.

14. luiz

luiz Trendy Revolutionary

Incredibly stupid vote by the British. Those voting to curb immigration will just see a shift from Spaniards and poles to Indians and Nigerians. The pound will take a historic beating, and the UK itself will most likely disintegrate, with Scotland leaving. And of course the City of London will lose its preeminent place in global finance. Everybody will be poorer.

But democracy is democracy. There was a long debate, and the majority has spoken. Let their decision be respected, and let them pay the price.

15. AdrienIer

AdrienIer Chieftain

Not so sure now if Podemos and its Catalan allies win the general election

16. Lillefix

Lillefix I'm serious. You can.

If things go as apocalyptic as many have predicted, everyone has to pay the price.

17. HAND

HAND Armchair Philosopher

Cameron just resigned....!

Edit:

A new PM in place by October

18. really

really Chieftain

Time for a snap election?

19. Akka

Akka Moody old mage.

What a coward.

Edit : Oh, he isn't to resign until October. Well, then it's okay, he has time to swallow the result of his idiocy.

20. GoodSarmatian

GoodSarmatian Blackpilled Idealist

He did something stupid and risky, and when it blew up in his dumb face he took the coward's way out.
    Who's just like Hitler now ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.