kids these days...

Do you think "slapping" or ticking is appropriate?

• Total voters
I'd imagine that if you create an atmosphere of authority and respect between the child and yourself since the beginning, the child would never resort to violence, or even to rude behaviour.

However if that is not the case (which we clearly see in the video), the guy should be dealt with approprietly, he should understand that for every action he must face consequences. Then after some time, he would get used to being under discipline, and physical and/or material punishment (such as staying in one's room all the day, or not having access to things he enjoys) would cease to be necessary.

In the end it all comes down to discipline and authority. If the parent has none in the eyes of his child, then he is feeding a monster under his own roof.

That's one screwed up kid, and one screwed up mom to raise a kid like that. I honestly think they should both be sterlized if this can't be fixed, otherwise they'll have more kids like that and the generations of brats will continue.

That was my point :) I'm against spanking.

DOH! /headsmack

Well, at least I got a chance to post that picture. :goodjob:

People have a right to self-defense, so if parents are allowed to assault their kids then they should expect the kid to fight back.

However, I don't think minors should get less protection from physical assault laws just because their parents assault them. They're not their parents' property, so don't bother with the "it's MY kid" argument.

Also, regardless of the law, you should be a good enough parent so that your kids aren't insolent and bratty enough to merit hitting.

I advocate physical ass kicking. I remember back in the day I was so wild, no punishment except swift ass kicking would calm me down and made me behave.

If a child is under the age of 5 and goes into dangerous places (street, RR tracks, arroyo etc) a single hard smack on the bottom for 'placement' and to reinforce that such a location is not allowed can be appropriate. Other than that, it is best to remove the child to a place where they will be alone until everyone calms down. If the child is too big and strong to remove, then walk away and leave them alone.

Those of you who would smack a child to impose your control or any other reason other than safety, are wrong. If you can do such a thing easily and without great remorse, then the problem is with you and not with the child. using belts, hairbrushes, switches etc. only make you more wrong.

Only in extreme situations (example: the kid is trying to throw himself out of the window; the kid is trying to drive when he's drunk; etc).

Otherwise, no.

^

Those are my thoughts as well. Though if the parents have been really good in raising their children, extreme situations won't happen.

In extreme situations I would hit my lad a slap, but it would want to be pretty extreme. Never happened yet.

Those of you who would smack a child to impose your control or any other reason other than safety, are wrong. If you can do such a thing easily and without great remorse, then the problem is with you and not with the child.

What I typically imagine when I think "yeah, I'd smack my kid if it needed it" is the kid saying something over the line. If I had a five-year-old that swore about its shoes, I wouldn't smack the five-year-old, 'cause it's five and doesn't know better. If I had a fifteen-year-old that swore at me, you bet your ass I'd smack him.

Just like if an adult said something over the line, I may very well smack him. If I were touched inappropriately - and this has happened, so I'm sure - I'll smack him.

I also wouldn't chase someone down to smack 'em. If it's not an immediate response, it's no good.

Aside from that, with small children, I agree about the safety cases.

I can't recall ever being slapped by my parents, and I have grown to become the smartest, friendliest, most handsome, most popular and overall best guy ever. OK, seriously, I don't think "slapping or ticking" as means of punishment is ever acceptable. If the child is a whacko and the parents need to get physical to actually defend themselves, it might be ok, but then again those are the kind of situations where some professional help is really needed.

So I voted for the second option.

I can't recall ever being slapped by my parents, and I have grown to become the smartest, friendliest, most handsome, most popular and overall best guy ever.

Well, I was never slapped either, but I'd be more confident in the nation's parents if it were at least an option (so the child couldn't, as Sims suggested, whine about its 'right to self-defense' and go to the police if they were smacked. You can't have rights without accepting your responsibilities first).

In school, I've seen countless lessons disrupted by class clowns and disaffected chavs, and I'm sure many of you have too: they know they can get away with it, because in the end, what are the teachers going to do? Give them a detention? They just won't turn up - the punishment is just another detention. Send them out? Fine - no need to do the work, and extra attention from the class. I'd imagine it's the same at home - kids will just do whatever they want. All the parents can do is shout, and the children just don't care about that. The slap, and the cane, are possible solutions to these problems.

Don't slap kids....beat them. I can think of many kids these days in need of a good beating. Oh so many....

As long as they ONLY apply the necessary amount and when simply talking to the kid doesn't work. By no means do I want parent's to whale on their kids with a 2x4 for setting the fork on the wrong side of the plate!

Kids are hella different. Sometimes you can talk to them normally about what they did wrong and they'll never do it again. But there are some kids that will require a little slap on the hand now and again.

Violence is wrong.

Top Bottom