[RD] LGBTQ news

A North Florida district court has issued a preliminary injunction on the Florida trans youth ban:

https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.flnd.460963/gov.uscourts.flnd.460963.90.0_1.pdf

1686071214974.png

Well, that sounds like good news at least.

A North Florida district court has issued a preliminary injunction on the Florida trans youth ban:

https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.flnd.460963/gov.uscourts.flnd.460963.90.0_1.pdf

View attachment 664126

Ron DeSantis loses big in court as judge issues scathing ruling on his anti-trans healthcare law: 'Gender identity is real'​

Saying "gender identity is real," a federal judge on Tuesday temporarily blocked portions of a new Florida law that bans transgender minors from receiving puberty blockers and cross-sex hormones, ruling the state has no rational basis for denying patients treatment. Judge Robert Hinkle issued a preliminary injunction, saying three transgender children can continue receiving treatment. The lawsuit challenges the law Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis signed shortly before announcing a run for president. "The elephant in the room should be noted at the outset. Gender identity is real. The record makes this clear," Hinkle wrote in his ruling, adding that even a witness for the state agreed. Transgender medical treatment for minors is increasingly under attack, but has been available for over a decade and is endorsed by major medical associations, Hinkle noted.

https://www.businessinsider.com/ron-desantis-loses-in-court-on-his-anti-trans-healthcare-law-2023-6

Saw this coming... now we get to see whether what is Unconstitutional in Tennessee is Unconstitutional in Texas and Florida...
Special Military Operation against Florida?:hmm:
Well, Eisenhower sent the 101st Airborne to Arkansas when their Governor was being a [tool], so there is some precedent.

I wish LGBT advocates did a better job of communicating how harmful transphobic policies are to affected parties. Specifically, I wish it had more outreach to older, straight Americans. I have the impression that the consequences of these transphobic policies will largely be invisible to that cohort except where its members are already engaged and interested in the topic.
GLAAD should run a national ad campaign where grannies talk about their love for their homo- and transsexuals relations and how these policies have negatively affected both the grannies and the affected relations. Ad time during Matlock reruns appears to be real cheap.

I wish LGBT advocates did a better job of communicating how harmful transphobic policies are to affected parties. Specifically, I wish it had more outreach to older, straight Americans.
This is what I hope to see since I mostly see “advocates” displaying toxic attitudes whenever activists voice their views and bludgeoning and browbeating people whom even slightly disagree with their positions (e.g. attacking people who don’t view trans women as women, etc).

Right now, and I’m sure this is true for a majority of Americans, I hold LGBT issues way at the bottom of my priorities. The toxic activism shown in the past decade has, admittedly, left a sour taste in people’s mouths and a feeling of enmity.

GLAAD should run a national ad campaign where grannies talk about their love for their homo- and transsexuals relations and how these policies have negatively affected both the grannies and the affected relations. Ad time during Matlock reruns appears to be real cheap.
I feel that it should be done tactfully and without being preachy. Not just grannies and grandpas, but also the gamers and the grillers (the centrist “I just wanna grill for God sakes and be left alone” people), and people whom toxic activists left a feeling of enmity towards the LGBT movement. Gamers are already suspicious of anything that has a progressive messaging and will interpret anything preachy and demonizing (saying that you’re an evil cis straight white man for example) as pushing a woke agenda.

What positions would you place between what you see as the maximalist position: “trans women are women,” and a minimalist position “trans people are…”?

This is what I hope to see since I mostly see “advocates” displaying toxic attitudes whenever activists voice their views and bludgeoning and browbeating people whom even slightly disagree with their positions (e.g. attacking people who don’t view trans women as women, etc).

Right now, and I’m sure this is true for a majority of Americans, I hold LGBT issues way at the bottom of my priorities. The toxic activism shown in the past decade has, admittedly, left a sour taste in people’s mouths and a feeling of enmity.

I feel that it should be done tactfully and without being preachy. Not just grannies and grandpas, but also the gamers and the grillers (the centrist “I just wanna grill for God sakes and be left alone” people), and people whom toxic activists left a feeling of enmity towards the LGBT movement. Gamers are already suspicious of anything that has a progressive messaging and will interpret anything preachy and demonizing (saying that you’re an evil cis straight white man for example) as pushing a woke agenda.
The "look what you made me do" vibes are off the charts here

If you don't view trans women as women and trans men as men you're fundamentally anti trans/transphobic, there's no getting away from that

I don't care how polite your attempts to essentially call us deluded or wrong about ourselves are

What positions would you place between what you see as the maximalist position: “trans women are women,” and a minimalist position “trans people are…”?
I used the statement as an example since it’s a common statement people get attacked over that I know off the top of my head (especially on Twitter). If you’re asking me, I myself am wading through it figuring it out myself (I’d rather go into details in another thread). I don’t care what anyone wants to identify as so long as you’re not hurting anyone and not acting like a dick and a butthead by bullying other people into compliance within your worldview.

I'm tired of your horsehocky.

I used the statement as an example since it’s a common statement people get attacked over that I know off the top of my head (especially on Twitter). If you’re asking me, I myself am wading through it figuring it out myself (I’d rather go into details in another thread). I don’t care what anyone wants to identify as so long as you’re not hurting anyone and not acting like a dick and a butthead by bullying other people into compliance within your worldview.

So like... do you think trans women are women or not?

So like... do you think trans women are women or not?
If I have to chose or the other at this moment in time? I think trans women are women. Again I’m still working on my own issues with being insecure about my own masculinity (part of it is resisting the idea of trans women being women, which I feel is rooted in being insecure of my own masculinity).

Nobody can tell you what you are or not, unless it's like a job that required qualification. You can't go around calling yourself a doctor if you're not one, unless it's your name, I guess.

If I have to chose or the other at this moment in time? I think trans women are women. Again I’m still working on my own issues with being insecure about my own masculinity (part of it is resisting the idea of trans women being women, which I feel is rooted in being insecure of my own masculinity).

It's called imposter syndrome, yes. I struggled with it a fair bit myself.

If you don't view trans women as women and trans men as men you're fundamentally anti trans/transphobic, there's no getting away from that

I don't care how polite your attempts to essentially call us deluded or wrong about ourselves are

What if I see a distinct difference between women and trans women?

good reminder that trans people were victims of the holocaust too:

Also I love older pictures of trans people. Like this is pretty indistinguishable from my friend group today, and if you told me this was taken last year I wouldn’t dispute you.

What if I see a distinct difference between women and trans women?

By putting the categories as "women" and "trans women", you are saying that trans women aren't in the category of women. That they're something else. Which is clearly anti-trans.

If you mean that there is a difference between cis women and trans women, then, well, yes, there are differences. That's objectively true. But as Cloud said, there's differences between all types of women. So the question that really matters here is what you think those differences mean in terms of how they should be treated?

Top Bottom