Jurisprudence > Bastion Fortifications
Seoul switches to Supreme Court

img_010.jpg

1862 AD:

rKnight kills Steppes Cuirassier, promotes 33-24

Third battle of Visby:
EC dies to Spanish Late Pikeman 33-25
EC kills Spanish Conquistador 34-25
EC narrowly kills Spanish Late Pikeman and retakes the city.
The 2600 gold is almost worth needing to retake the city...

img_012.jpg

Knight kills Axe 35-25
Hwach'a kills Ratha 36-25
EC kills German Spear 37-25
EC kills Spanish Hussar 38-25
EC kills Conquistador 39-25
Knight kills Ratha 40-25
He sees a stack of 6 2-move attackers...gulp, the next turn might be bloody.
Knight kills WE 41-25
Knight kills Prussian Horse Arty 42-25

IBT:

Ansar Warrior dies attacking our EC 43-25
XB forces Knight to retreat
Camel-looking unit dies (very slow death animation) to our Knight in Visby 44-25
Something kills our Knight who retreated 44-26
Prussian Hussar dies against our Knight 45-26
Hussar kills our EC 45-27
Conquistador lands next to Karlskrona
Maghreb Almohad XB lands next to Karlskrona, too

1864 AD:

Hwach'a kills WE 46-27
Knight kills Hussar 47-27
EC kills WE 48-27
Knight kills Medieval Catapult 49-27
eKnight kills Medieval Catapult and nets a Leader 50-27
Knight retreats
EC kills MDI 51-27
MDI dies to Eastern Musketeer 51-28
Two Knights retreat
EC dies to the same Eastern Musketeer 51-29
EC finally kills the pesky Musketeer 52-29
Knight retreats
Knight kills Conquistador 53-29
Yogi kills XB 54-29

img_013.jpg

IBT:

One Conquistador dies to our Knight 55-29

1866 AD:

EC kills Viking Spear 56-29

Battle of Norrkoping:
EC retreats
EC dies to Swedish Musketman 56-30
EC dies to Swedish Musketman 56-31
Knight dies to Swedish Musketman 56-32
Knight dies to Swedish Musketman 56-33
Winged Hussar kills Swedish Musketman 57-33
Knight of the Realm dies to Swedish Musketman, no damage :wallbash: 57-34
Knight flawlessly kills the pesky Musketman 58-34
Knight of the Realm kills another Swedish Musketman and rides triumphantly into the city! 59-34

Yogi converts stray XB 60-34
Culture-bomb Norrkoping
Knight kills XB 61-34
Enslaver dies to XB 61-35
EC dies to Medieval Catapult 61-36
EC dies to Siege XB 61-37
EC kills Medieval Catapult 62-37
Knight kills Siege XB (slow death animation) 63-37
Yogi converts XB 64-37

img_014.jpg

IBT:

XB dies to our Knight of the Realm 65-37
Hospitaller Knight kills our Knight 65-38
Conquistador kills our Knight 65-39
Hussar dies to our Knight in Visby 66-39
Spanish Treb lands at Bengal

1868 AD:

Knight kills Treb and gets another Leader 67-39
EC kills Spanish Pike 68-39
Knight kills Arty 69-39
EC kills Conquistador 70-39
EC dies vs. Hussar 70-40
EC kills Axe 71-40
EC kills Hospitaller Knight 72-40
EC kills XB 73-40
Knight of the Realm kills XB 74-40
Slider to 30%, Bastion Fortifications still due in 1.

img_015.jpg

IBT:

Two Hussars both die on our Knights at Visby! 76-40
Australia completes Syndey Cove

1870 AD:

Privateer sinks one of the Persian bombardment fleet, promotes, then promptly upgrades. 77-40

Slider to 70%, Absolutism due in 4.
Leader rushes Observatory in Warsaw (more effect than a Uni in anything else in reach)
Enslaver dies to XB, no damage :wallbash: 77-41
Yogi converts the XB 78-41
EC kills Axe 79-41
Silla Horseman kills XB 80-41

IBT:

XB forces Silla Horseman to retreat
Spain lands Conquistador next to Bengal
Norrkoping deposes us. We lose quite a few troops -- I'd say 7-8 units :(

I'm counting that as 80-49

In better news, Desert Fort completes

img_016.jpg

1872 AD:

Knight kills Conquistador 81-49

Battle of Falun:
EC kills Swedish Musketman 82-49
EC retreats
EC narrowly kills Swedish Musketman and takes the city 83-49

Enslaver captures XB 84-49
Yogi kills XB 85-49

Second Battle of Norrkoping:
EC shoots Swedish Musketman and retakes the city. 86-49

Knight kills Steppes Cuirassier 87-49
eKnight dies to Steppes Cuirassier 87-50
eEC kills Steppes Cuirassier 88-50

IBT:

Spain captures Visby with a Conquistador. 42 gold lost.

1873 AD (T260):

Fourth Battle of Visby!
eKnight kills Conquistador 89-50
EC kills Pike and takes 2404 gold with the city. 90-50

Knight kills Conquistador 91-50
EC kills Conquistador 92-50
Knight kills Indian Pikeman 93-50
... after getting hit with a VERY SLOW Indian Longbowman defensive shot animation.
EC kills Indian Pikeman 94-50

eKnight kills German MDI 95-50
eKnight kills German Musketman 96-50
Hwach'a kills Prussian Cannon 97-50
EC kills German MDI 98-50

Reluctantly, I withdraw from Norrkoping. India just has too many units (6 attackers) next to the city. Trying to defend with wounded Knights and ECs would be a bloodbath. Greebley should have better odds of success picking them off as they approach Linkoping.

img_017.jpg

And here's the line at Seoul:

img_018.jpg

Attachments

• LK164-1873AD.SAV
    1.2 MB · Views: 66
Ouch, that flip was really painful. It was already a tough turn for loses without having that flip.
With the Indian rush starting, and Spain finally showing up in force, it looks like Greebley has a mostly defensive set.

I see Visby building a flag. There is no reason to build those. Every city already gets two free CPT each turn.

Spain has given so much cash it is time to start upgrading our older units. There are a lot of spears, pike, swords, etcetera to upgrade. This should hopefully help to recover our unit loses. It also looks like lack of defensive units is hurting us. I see nothing but offensive in that picture.

ROSTER:
Multiple civs are probably south of Seoul. Please don’t explore that direction.

LKendter (on deck)
Jersey Joe
Elephantium
Greebley (up)

Last edited:
Well fought. :goodjob:

If we are going to abandon towns, why do we not sell of their improvements?

For Sk Hynix to produce 50 shields a turn, to build the Great Palace in 6 turns, it must take the mountain from Theveste.

Building City Fortification (100 shields to build) in Falun is a waste of shields. Despite being called City Fortification they are only good in Towns. Falun will be a city before finishing City Fortification.

We are reaching the point where it is not cost effective to build Slavery (if we keep up 4 turn research it goes obsolete in 38 turns).

Just to check -- when you say abandon, you don't mean the Abandon City command, do you?

As for the Market in Norrkoping, there's also a Market in Visby -- it survived 5 city captures!

... after getting hit with a VERY SLOW Indian Longbowman defensive shot animation.

Elephantium, this is noted.

How did you manage to install CivAssist on your new Win 10 laptop ? ... and I miss your white screen reports. :D

Elephantium, this is noted.

Great!
How did you manage to install CivAssist on your new Win 10 laptop ? ... and I miss your white screen reports. :D

A lot of tinkering, basically. I put some details in the CivAssist II thread

I don't get white screens anymore, but I did lose animations on one of the IBTs in my turnset when I clicked on my Notepad++ window to mention bombardments. Even with the new machine, I have to leave Civ alone while it processes. Good thing I have lots of scratch paper for IBT notes! :lol:

@Greebley, I suggest working on pumping up our forces a bit more. We were on a heavy building push for science during my set -- with travel time, LK will end up with very few reinforcements on the western front. We should try to have 2 Muskets and 3-4 Cuirassiers/Hussars produced each turn so we can keep advancing.

Once we get rails, this game will be more challenging than most in terms of getting the initial rail-net up. We have a LONG route to cover from Seoul to Visby!

Last edited:
Good thing I have lots of scratch paper for IBT notes! :lol:
That is how I handle the IT also. Scribble down notes, and type them up when build stage arrives.

As for the cities, don't sell any buildings. They are temp abandons to help stabilize the front.

Not what I was hoping for... :( :( :(

I was hoping this was a handoff post.

Last edited:
Since we will soon be able to steal tech, here is a path to Railroads which incorporates stealing and has us learning the less expensive techs while stealing the more expensive ones.
While learning Sacred Art:
The first tech we should try to steal is Mercantilism.
Followed by Fossil Energy -> Economics -> Steam Power

However, after learning Sacred Art
If we have not Stolen Mercantilism we should study Mercantilism and try to steal Naval Power -> Free Artistry -> Medicine.
If we have stolen (or learned) Mercantilsim but not Fossil Energy, we should study Fossil Energy and try to steal Naval Power -> Free Artistry -> Medicine.

If we have stolen Mercantilsim and Fossil Energy we should study Economics and try to steal Steam Power -> Naval Power -> Free Artistry -> Medicine -> Enlightenment.

Reminder about stealing.
Because we want to steal multiple techs it is more cost effective to try and steal Immediately than it is to try and steal Safely.
For example:
5 Attempts to Safely Steal tech give us a 50% chance of stealing 3 or more techs.
For the approximate same cost, 10 attempts to Immediately Steal tech give us a 62% chance to steal 5 or more techs and a 94% chance to have stolen 3 or more techs.

Preturn: Minor MM.

IBT: Two knights in danger are not attacked. There is an Archer landing.

1874 AD: Playing defensively. We lose a few and take out enemy units in reach.

IBT: Watch an enslaver landing. You can see the unit while it is landing and then it vanishes

1875 AD: We have the ability to upgrade to Asian Rider with attack 6. I update these and other units. I also cash rush a Castle in Linkoping. We don't have any castles near the front at all and need one right away.
Great palace in 7 in our high shield SK Hynix.

IBT: India all go west rather than advancing. Perhaps to threaten Falun which is less defended on the coast.

1876 AD: Upgrade a bunch of units on the front lines.

IBT: Lose one of our rare front line musketeer to a roving knight.

1877 AD: Take back Korrkoping with one loss. Line up workers to take the next viking city. However we may need to defend first as India advanced again.

IBT: Uh oh, I think I see a light greenish boat that appears and then vanishes. Looks like another contact soon?

1878 AD: Build road to reach Gotelburg. We capture it losing 1. There is a stack next to that I couldn't see. I decide to fortify the city with units to keep it. If I let the AI take it (Spain or India), their enhanced movement would be an issue.

IBT: We get IBT Contact with Arabia (light green boat). We got unlucky with that, we cannot see the boat afterward so we wouldn't have made contact if they hadn't wanted to trade.

1879 AD: Again there are Indian troops next to the city but we have Muskets in there now.

IBT: We lose a Musket and Asian rider. Many more enemy troops die.

1880 AD: Kill some of the troops around Goteburg. They are mostly enemy defenders left (a few attacks possible), but there are still 30 units - mostly Indian.

IBT: Lose 2 units and kill enemies on defense.

1881 AD: Still a lot of units healing. There are fewer adjacent units and all are defensive.

IBT: No units lost near Goteburg. We build the Great Palace in SK Hynix.

1882 AD: Kill a new stack that comes next to Goteburg. That leaves 11 Indian Arquibusiers of which I can kill 9 leaving 2 injured.

I was keeping more units in Goteburg than its size to keep it from flipping (should be enough if no riot, resisters, and our Culture is a bit higher). But this turn instead I moved out a bunch since I had less than its 15 size.

Tried to plant spies in all civs. We succeeded with India (south and even more west) and South Africa which is not showing on main map but is on this map:
LK164_AD1883a.png

IBT: We get Free Artistry and start Medicine to get to Enlightenment and Cavalry. We also got

1883 AD: Send more injured Asian Riders back to Linkoping for healing. Slightly injured are fortified for healing.
Clear out last reachable Indian troops in our lands.
This is turn 270.

Notes:
Most units are now upgraded.

Next player should be able to advance more when the riders heal up.

Spain hasn't done a whole lot. Just a few troops.

The AI has been dropping invisible units near Al Jadida in the north. That is why extra musketeers are there (they were all enslavers). You can see them when the land, but then vanish.

I didn't try a steal.

The image below shows a road from the edge of the mountains to Goteburg which is due south. Once complete it will be the shortest route.

There is also a settler way to the south I left unmoved. I didn't see a good spot so was considering a combat settler, but didn't have any decent chance to do so.
LK164_AD1883b.png

I don't think I checked for unhappy cities on the last turn, so check for that.

Attachments

• LK164-1883AD.SAV
    1.2 MB · Views: 28
Because South Africa and Maghreb are Republics they are immune to having Tech stolen from them. We should not spend the gold to plant a spy with the Maghreb.
The Aztec and Arabs are Democracies which makes them immune to sabotage. Also it means they have many techs we can steal.
The other 5 civs we know are all Theocracies and we can steal tech from them if they know something we do not.
We should not study Democracy but rely on stealing it before needing it to study Imperialism.
Since Medicine is the only tech we have a chance to steal, we should study Mercantilism.

Top Bottom