LK164 - CCM, AWM, Korea

Preturn: Looks good. Could build a Junk in one turn so switched to it to learn more about the Magreb lands. I think another contact very unlikely - anyone else on the island would have found us via boats already.

IBT: Minor Polish units show up.

1790 AD: Capture Yekaterinburg again.
Find next Polish city. Move units next to Magreb city.
Moved Junk sideways to try to avoid a Magreb ship.

For tech I wanted to get attack 5 units sooner, so went for Humanism.

IBT: Lose a Knight of the Realm from an attacking Artillery unit.

Magreb targets Junk over town so no dice on exploration of what is now definitely an island. Agree it is not worth spending any cash so Magreb will remain a mystery.

There is an ok city spot that could get us to the island in one turn with boats from the next era. In the meantime Magreb will not be taken out of the game and we need to worry about flips.

1795 AD: Polish city was Bialystock. We kill both Pike. Exploring further, we find a city on a hill guarded by a Musketman.

Capture Magreb city of Zarzis losing a Knight. That might have been the last Magreb city we can reach without boats. They have 4 cities left.

1800 AD: Find Wroclaw which has a Musketman and on in Hills. May be expensive to take, but it has Saltpeter in its radius.

IBT: A landing to track down.

1802 AD: Lose one Knight taking Wroclaw. Fortunately they only had a single Musket (and a Pike) so far.

Exploration finds two further cities, but we can't see either ones name. Using shift-L I see the names Krakow and Warsaw which is the Capital.

Spot a Scandanavian Camel near Mountain River and we have another War. Capital and Mountain river may need more units to handle the initial rush.

1804 AD: Locate and capture Torun losing one. Spot Scandanavian boat (again) on the opposite side of our empire near Torun

Capture Krakow. Line up units that may be enough to take the Capital.

Poland lands is starting to spilling over the Mountain range. The mountains no longer block troops from entering.

Note that Poland completed Wawel castle so is probably GA.

Image:
LK164_AD1804.png

IBT: Carthage annoyingly flips back. We lose the 3 units inside the city.

1806 AD: I had placed a Knight just outside Carthage. It fortunately turns out to be enough as the city only has a single Pike. We recapture the city.

Figure we have enough troops for a Monarch game Capital(13 + 2 enslavers). We get lucky with retreats and only lose 1 Knight. We capture the city with troops to spare.

Immediately south of Warsaw is a Spanish unit. Spain has 10 cities and 85K gold, that would be over 8 thousand for (most?) cities captured. We declare war. If they are south of Poland we could get bunch of cash.

Lower Science for Humanism in 1.

IBT: Warsaw riots due to suppressing resisters.

Poland shows up with a rare fast unit that kills a Knight.

1808 AD:
More unmet civs are hovering outside of Seoul and Mountain View as a Turkish Colony is built on a black square we can't fully see.
LK164_AD1808.png

Physics is in 6 turns. I therefore set our towns with highest shields on University which we can now build.

IBT: Spain completes Spanish Treasure Fleet so probably is starting their GA just in time to add unit to their initial rush on us.

1810 AD:
Heading South of Warsaw we haven't found a city yet.

IBT: Our South of Warsaw stack is attacked by fast Scandanavian units.

1812 AD: No longer sure on being able to take out Muskets and don't want to fight where Scandanavia gets move 6 and 3 from ROP, so stack moves back into our territory. Need Warsaw's border expansion to help defend vs speed 2 attackers.

IBT: We couldn't move back fast enough and get slaughtered. We lose 7 knights to attacking Vikings only killing one or two. The injured Vikings can all retreat as well. We met them at exactly the wrong time.

To top it off Carthage flips a second time costing us 2 units.

1814 AD: I placed units in Warsaw. We have to hold it for one turn to get the Border expansion. With the border expansion the Speed 2 units won't be able to attack the city so we can go back to a lighter guard. I am hoping we can hold warsaw from the Viking units and it doesn't flip this turn. We do have more culture than Poland so a flip is unlikely.

Notes:
Terrible timing on the Viking rush. Poland has a town with a very large radius that we never did find. With the enemy moving 3 and 6 and us moving 1 and 2 it will cost us a 10 units with a few survivors.

10 units dead include the 3 which I expect to die over the next IBT:
The units that don't move speed 2 are unlikely to get away. We have 2 Artillery and a 1 hp Pike that are likely to be killed. If they happen to survive the border expansion will allow them to flee next turn.

I made my best guess on where to place units to handle the incoming viking hordes. Note that the Spanish are also on the way so we may be playing defense for a while.

Image of Capital/ Mountain View.
LK164_AD1814a.png

Image of Poland:
LK164_AD1814b.png

Tech is set up for Physics in 3 and then Ballistics for units with def and attack of 5.

Attachments

• LK164-1814AD.SAV
    1.1 MB · Views: 36
Got it for something to do this rotten rainy day.

One positive thing is that both civs are likely still to the west of us given the Vikings showed up so fast near Poland. The vikings have also shown up with more boats so they are likely the civ south of Poland that is coastal.

I left extra units near our capital before I knew where the vikings were since I saw their first unit near mountain view. However, given that Turkey is close enough to set up a colony, it is likely we will meet them soon as well.

I started several universities in our largest shield towns and capital. This means a slow down on troops, but should help the fact we are off of 4 turn techs.

Oh I also got no leaders the entire time. My plan was to rush the Desert Fort which a small city is building. We also will need a castle near the current front when we get ballistics. [edit: or Fire Lances now]

I glanced again at the thread from the last game. We're a little less than halfway through this one, based on thread length (page 9 here vs. page 22 there). Amusingly, we had a progress post for the early 1800s on page 9 in that game, too.

In that game, at this point we'd absorbed 3 civs (Australia, Turkey, France), and we were most of the way through Brazil-Portugal. We were really just starting our campaigns against 2 other civs (Egypt and Maghreb).

In this game, we've absorbed 3 civs, 2 more are "mostly dead", and we can't really see anyone else to attack. We have a much tighter map this time around, mostly due to Lee's focus on exploration discipline. We're 1 tech slower this game (missing Sacred Art, researching Physics instead of Jurisprudence).

I'm a little worried about falling behind in tech now -- I would have liked to see more 4-turn research instead of pursuing the Humanism path ASAP, but no one we know is actually in the Industrial Age (yet...), and we're in a good position. Universities will help, too.

We can't see them yet, but I suspect Spain and the Vikings are past the remnants of Portugal. The Vikings clearly are based on my set. Not enough Spanish troops yet to confirm, but I suspect Spain past the Vikings.
Well into my set, and mostly defense eating up the Vikings initial waves.

Last edited:
1814 AD (0)
I have a bad feeling this will be a turn with little progress.
Universities under construction mean I need to conserve troops. The build times are painfully long.
2 new civs met means I need to play mostly defense for a while. Being the Vikings is a real pain. I need to build up coastal cities. IIRC the Vikings have an early amphibious unit.

I wake up a stack near Mountain River. I don’t see the advantage of holding that hill.

I really hope that isn’t a Polish city on the other side of the mountains. I don’t want to find out how many civs are on the other side of those.

I change a bunch of builds. A lot of cities near the front are not building walls. They should always be the first city build (except for a leader rush).
Algiers is switched from theater to admin center. Both give plus 1 happy, but the admin center should hopefully recover a shield.
(IT) The three exposed units by Warsaw were lost. (0-3)
The nuisance bombardment is still going on.
AI units show up by Krakow.

1816 AD (1)
The AI by Krakow is Scandinavia.
I kill Scandinavia: 3 knights, 3 buckets, 1 elephant and 1 camel. I lost 4 knights and 1 Cataphract. (8-8)
I badly need to get control of that hill tile. The fights are too even. I don’t see enough defensive units to do so right now. :(
Even units losses are unacceptable in AW.
I noticed that Spain has some slow moving units by Warsaw.

The Colossus gives us a free settler. :dance:

I kill 2 Aztec crossbows by Mountain River. (10-8)
(IT) Scandinavia lost a knight. (11-8)
China completes Magellan’s Voyage. Exploration has been known for a while.
The Spanish are building Holy Book Printed, Great Playhouse and Taj Mahal. Spain must have just researched Free Artistry.

1818 AD (2)
I kill Scandinavia: 5 camels, 1 knight and 1 bucket. I lost 1 knight. (18-9)
I gained 1 worker and 1 monk.
I kill Spain: 1 pikes, and 2 crossbows. (21-9)
I needed a good RnG round. Hopefully the units have enough time to heal before the next round. A leader is still badly needed.
(IT) I am not sure if ballistics is the best choice, but I stick with it. There is no hope to catch up when more than 4 turns is spent on a tech.
Japan finished Holy Book Printed. Germany completes Taj Mahal.

1820 AD (3)
Looking at the wonder list I caught something interesting. Spain is building Taj Mahal in Karakorum. They must have had a war in Mongolia. Sadly Buddhist Art was completed by China.

I kill Persia: 2 muskets. (23-9)
I kill Scandinavia: 1 pikes. (24-9)
Castle Me Asian Siege Crossbow arrives. Warsaw gets a rushed castle.
I barely kill a German bombard. (25-9)

Scandinavia isn’t as strong for tech. They will take humanism in trade.
(IT) I lost 1 knight and 1 fire lancer. I killed 1 Persia Ansar warrior. (26-11)
Those units are nasty, as they have 3 MP!
China completes the Great Playhouse.
Scandinavia lands near Bialystok.

1822 AD (4)
I kill Persia: 1 Ansar warrior. (27-11)
I kill Scandinavia: 1 MDI, 1 crossbow, 2 knights and 1 camel. (32-11)
I kill Germany: 1 pike. (33-11)
(IT) I lost 2 fire lancers. (33-13)
Scandinavia again lands near Bialystok.

1824 AD (5)
Spain is going to be a pain. The conquistador is an attack 3 unit that can move in mountains.

I kill Scandinavia: 1 MDI, 1 enslaver and 1 knight. (36-13)
(IT) Spain completes Neuschwanstein.

1826 AD (6)
This is why I made no attempt to move forward despite somewhat quite. The slow moving rush is arriving from Scandinavia.

I kill Scandinavia: 2 berserks, 3 swords, 6 crossbows, 3 MDI, 1 axe, 2 spears and 3 pikes. I lost 3 knights and 1 Yogi. (56-17)
I gained a worker and a monk. I can’t believe I lost the Yogi to a crossbow.
[End of session 1]
(IT) I killed a Polish Winged Hussar. I lost 1 knight. (57-18)
Spain was caught trying to steal our map. Blecch, they are wasting our potential cash.

1828 AD (7)
I kill Aztec: 1 pike. (58-18)
I kill Spain: 1 conquistador. (59-18)
(IT) I lost 1 knight. Those Spanish conquistadors are a pain. (60-18)
The next research project is printer press. It is just 4 turns cash positive. Sacred art is also 4 turns. Naval guns are bastion forts are 5 turns. Medicine and Jurisprudence are a painful 6 turns. I still have some academies, universities, observatories and admin centers under construction to help with science. In addition, there are still productive cities growing. I hope those 5 turns techs drop to 4 after researching the 2 cheap techs.
There are no more free knights of the realm. :(
Germany was caught trying to plant a spy.

1830 AD (8)
Fire lancers upgrade to muskets for free. I upgrade 18 of them in cities.
I’m going to get the mobile fire lancers to stop in a castle for an upgrade. After that, I will move them to the front.

I kill Poland: 5 crossbows. (65-18)
I gain 1 worker. I love stacks of all crossbows. This is the best place to hunt for new workers and monks.
I kill Germany: 1 Pistol Reiter. I lost 1 elite knight. (66-19)

Chonju is founded. It fills in a big gap by SK Hynix.
(IT) I lost: 1 spear, 1 fire lancer and 2 knights. (66-23)
I killed 1 German Pistol Reiter, 1 Scandinavian crossbow, 1 Polish crossbow, 1 Spanish conquistador and 1 Persian MDI. (71-23)

1832 AD (9)
I kill Germany: 1 musket, 1 MDI and 3 Pistol Reiter. I lost 1 knight. (76-24)
I kill Persia: 1 crossbow. (77-24)
I kill Scandinavia: 2 spear, 1 MDI, 1 crossbow, and 3 Nordic Axe. I lost 1 knight. (83-25)

The assault of Opole begins: I kill 1 pike and 1 spear. (85-25)
I gained 1 worker. It got an instant culture bomb.
Sadly, I found a Scandinavian stack behind it.

The assault of Gdansk begins: I kill 1 pike and 1 spear. (87-25)
I gained 1 worker. I raze the city.
It is on the other side of the mountains and risk contacting whoever is behind that large mountain range. In addition, there are no nearby roads, so reinforcing the city will be very difficult.

The assault of Gniezno begins: I kill 3 muskets. (90-25)
The city holds and I need more attacking units. Way too many knights retreated.
Most of my spare troops went that way. I also have to send more toward Opole. It is a potential bloodbath, and I want plenty of healthy troops to finish off any Scandinavian troops still alive.
[End of session 2]
(IT) I killed Scandinavia: 1 berserk and 2 crossbows. I lost 4 knights. (93-29)
What sucks is I lost mostly elite knights.

1834 AD (10)
I kill Scandinavia: 1 spear, 1 knight and 3 crossbows. I lost 1 siege crossbow. (98-30)
I had to risk a 2 HP knight to kill 1 HP knight that generated a leader killing the SC.

The second assault of Gniezno begins. I kill 2 muskets and 1 crossbow. I lost 1 knight. (100-31)
I gained a monk. Wawel Castle is ours.

I kill Persia: 1 crossbow and 1 mortar. I lost 1 knight. (102-32)

[End of session 3]

A new clan just arrived. The below is my proposed city site:
It is time to bite the bullet and fill in this gap. The AI has changed focus and is mostly trying to move up the center. Another city with a castle there will really help.
I realize this spot gets us closer to the Turkish colony. I can’t believe it still has no units, and that we haven’t made contact with them. Contact is going to happen when they finally get a defensive unit there.

Some defensive units will need to move this way.

I already have 1 worker stack in the area starting to lay roads.

The below is the current front in the west:
You can see there is still troops heading toward Opole. I got a few more healthy knights heading that way. The knights in the far right are coming back from razing the AI city on the other side of the mountains.

The stack outside of Gniezio is the healthy ones starting to build up to move forward again. Luckily, there is still a monk in the stack for the next city.

At this point we need to keep on the cheap tech path. The stronger units are nice, but it took 12 turns for the 2 techs. That is a full 4-turn tech lost.
I hope those 5-turn techs drop to 4 soon. There are still obs, univ, academy and admin under construction to help with the tech pace.

The ultimate goal is to find and take out Spain. Right now there are filthy rich. Based on Scandinavia hitting first I have a bad feeling Spain is behind them.
Once we get absolutism and build the great palace spies are available for tech stealing. All the Spanish cash will do wonders for steals. That was the key moment last game that solved our tech deficit.
In addition, they have a couple of nice wonders: Neuschwanstein = happy +1, Hanseatic League = Kontor +50% tax revenue.

I am moving our new muskets along the coast to pull the weaker units out. The Vikings have the amphibious unit already active. If we met at Britain there amphibious rifles will show up soon. It is time to reinforce the coastal city. West Coast is the next city need muskets.

I hope Joe’s set will include the death of Poland.

ROSTER:
Multiple civs are probably south of Seoul. Please don’t explore that direction.

Unless it is a critical emergency please don’t use up any cash. Deficit funded research is desperately needed to try and close the tech gap. In addition, it is time to build up the cash reserves to steal tech.

LKendter
Jersey Joe (up)
Elephantium (on deck)
Greebley

Attachments

• LK164-1834AD.SAV
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
I think there is a Polish town 5 se of Gniezno right next to the mined mountain.
I was going to suggest we start building towns near Seoul. My spot would have be 1 se of yours next to the mountain 5 tiles sw of Seoul.

Gniezo has a barracks so I am going to switch its build from a castle. Likewise Warsaw is size 10 so walls will not help and I am going to switch those.

I have it.

Top Bottom