Moar Units Mod

MOAR Units Mod 1.2

What´s this I hear? That the maker of MOAR Units is retiring from modding? Well, may I ask have you nominated someone to succeed you in maintaining this mod and perhaps continuing your work? Perhaps there could even be a team to continue the mod?

I know I haven´t got the skills as regards to 3d models etc., at least not yet, but perhaps I could serve as some sort of history advisor as I do study that subject and particularly military history, so maybe that could be my contribution?

I was just thinking of beginning a conversation within this mods frame of adding some new unit "paths" that I´ve proposed elsewhere I think?

like this;

Divide melee infantry into two "paths" Heavy and Light Melee Inf.

Light Melee path could perhaps be like this; "light" warrior/skirmisher (ancient era) --> light swordsman (classical era), in contrast to legions etc. these guys wear light armor and are more suited to raiding and could perhaps have a movement bonus in rough terrain? ---> light medieval inf. (fyrdmen, levies whatever you want to call them?) ---> Skirmishers (Jaegers, Grenzers, Chasseurs etc. renaissance musket armed light inf., the idea being that instead of marching into enemy gunfire ranks closed these guys have a more open formation of battle, if you´re familiar with Total war games like Empire TW?) ---> Sharpshooters (rifle armed light inf of say Victorian era etc.) ---> Light Infantry (WW-2 era) ---> Airborne Infantry (adv. helicopter borne light inf. Vietnam war era style)

Heavy Melee path; basically this would be the vanilla melee inf path.

as for cavalry... maybe a "mounted archer" path like this;

mounted archer (generic ancient/classical era unit) --> medieval mounted archer --> dragoon (renaissance/napoleonic era) --> since these are ranged units... perhaps "horse artillery" as the industrial era unit ---> for WW-2 era, maybe assault gun or Tank Destroyer as the equivalent? --> Light Armor or Infantry Fighting vehicle as the modern equivalent?

Anyway... there are some of my ideas... but most importantly, what is to become of MOAR units?

We need to research new units for Nubia, Khmer, and Indonesia, even if the mod is practically finished.

My ideas for Nubia based on rough history and art options would be:
* Medjay
* African Forest Elephant (can convert/reskin the Carthage unit from Civ 5 for this)

For Indonesia an obvious choice would be to bring back the Kris Swordsman, but would need one more.

Two more units for the Khmer is hard. Perhaps a naval unit?

My ideas for Nubia based on rough history and art options would be:
* Medjay
* African Forest Elephant (can convert/reskin the Carthage unit from Civ 5 for this)

For Indonesia an obvious choice would be to bring back the Kris Swordsman, but would need one more.

Two more units for the Khmer is hard. Perhaps a naval unit?
The Medjay's skin could be imported from Age of Mythology.

For both Khmer and Indonesia, perhaps look for units from the Khmer Rouge and Suharto eras, respectively?

What about Kopassus for Indonesia.

EDIT: I actually did a conversion of the Civ 4 Khmer War Elephant from Civ 4 to Civ 5 ( with bad animations I think). I wonder if I still have the art files somewhere.

Last edited:
What about Kopassus for Indonesia.

EDIT: I actually did a conversion of the Civ 4 Khmer War Elephant from Civ 4 to Civ 5 ( with bad animations I think). I wonder if I still have the art files somewhere.

The Khmer already have the Ballista elephant in Civ 6, the Domrey. So would need another two non-elephant units.

Now that you have replaced the maceman, could you give the warriors their clubs back please? :)

Hello
I have a few propositions of new units for the Nubian, Indonesian and Khmer civilizations.
Nubia:
1. Medjay - is an ancient elite paramilitary unit (like today's policeman). The unit can replace swordsman.
2. Beja Camel Warrior - tribal warriors - one version is a rider with javelins and shield. The second version is a rider with a rifle. It can replace a horseman or cavalry.
Indonesia:
1. Nias Warrior - spearmen.
2. Bali Warrior - a similar unit was in Civ V - kriss warrior. Replaces a swordsman or a longswordsman.
3. Karambit Warrior (unit from Age of Empires II: Rise of Rajas) - light infantry armed with karambit knives. Rather, it replaces a swordsman.
4. Kapal Majapahit (Ship) - another sea unit. I have no idea.
Khmer:
1. Rattan Archer (unit from Age of Empires II: Rise of Rajas) - archers with a bonus to fight in forests / rain forests.
2. Mantlet - a support unit that protects the units from enemy fire.
3. War Boat (War Canoe) - a ship used by Khmer.

beja.jpg

Beja Camel Warrior v.1

beja warrior.jpg

Beja Camel Warrior v.2

Bali_warriors.jpg

Bali Warriors with kris

Nias Warrior.jpg

Nias Warrior

kapal majapahit ship.jpg

Kapal Majapahit Ship

karambit.jpg

Karambit Warrior -- a rather modern but I don't have another :)

mantlet khmer.jpg

Khmer Mantlet - drawing based on bas-reliefs

war boat khmer.jpg

War Canoe - this also on bas-reliefs.

2691858703_997cc745dc.jpg

Cambodian Archer

Attachments

• Bali_warriors.jpg
    Bali_warriors.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 172
For Korea, there can be the Turtle Ship and the Hwarang (though the latter is also the name of Seondeok's leader ability; the extra unique unit could be called Flowering Knight instead, it would only be the same if there were a Korean localization (and a Chinese and Japanese localization as well) of the mod).

I just want to congratulate you on your mod, it doesn't even feel like a mod but a missing part of the game.

I got ideas for Indonesia

It is well known for Indonesians that, back then during the war for independence, soldiers craft and use a makeshift bamboo spear to compensate the lack of weapons. I'd say, we can use this to replace infantry for Indonesia. But then, it will make Indonesian soldiers look rather.....primitive. Or maybe we can just replace the upcoming pike and shot but it will be waaaay too early, I guess

Or, we can use PETA Army, a voluntary army organized by Imperial Japanese which members are highly influental on gaining the nation's independence, especially (and ironically) against Japan.

A few bugs I found:

-the Bandeirante is missing BuildCharges="1", currently it cannot construct anything
-the Bandeirante unit model is wearing two different hats (brown and purple) over each other, could be intended though
-the russian translation for many unit descriptions contains more parts than the other localisations. when the game is set to English or any other language, a lot of russian text appears after the original one. Examples are Ghazi, Yamato, Amazon Scout..

Last edited:
For the Netherlands, there's the Sea Beggar and please help me come up with one other unique unit for the Netherlands.

Here some suggestions

Marinier = Marine exist in the Netherlands all about 350 years. Is elite infantry and some parts are Special Forces and Anti-Terrorist units. A part is from the 70ties part of the UK-NL Force (UK= 3rd Commando Brigade)

KCT = Korps Commando Troepen

Fokker Biplane = The Fokker Airplanes of Germany in WWI are designed and factored by Anthony Fokker a Dutch. Or
Fokker GI = Fighterplane look alike as P-38 Lightning exist in 1940 but not many.

A few bugs I found:

-the Bandeirante is missing BuildCharges="1", currently it cannot construct anything
-the Bandeirante unit model is wearing two different hats (brown and purple) over each other, could be intended though
-the russian translation for many unit descriptions contains more parts than the other localisations. when the game is set to English or any other language, a lot of russian text appears after the original one. Examples are Ghazi, Yamato, Amazon Scout..

Thanks for reporting these issues - they have been addresses in today's update. :)

Top Bottom